New NCCPA 10 year recert

I am new to this forum, and may be late on this subject. I spend50-70 hours per week in clinical practice, and don't have time, nor the desire, to become politically involved in PA matters. Today, however, I watched the video on NCCPA about the new 10 year recert requirments. It is pretty obvious that who ever came up with this hogwash does not work in the clinical setting. Why are they getting tougher instead of easier. I am 47 years old and do not need anymore hastles in my professional life. I am going to consider a change to another career, mabey the bridge program in Mississippi is right for me. Any ideas on what, if anything, can be done about this?

I am new to this forum, and may be late on this subject. I spend50-70 hours per week in clinical practice, and don't have time, nor the desire, to become politically involved in PA matters. Today, however, I watched the video on NCCPA about the new 10 year recert requirments. It is pretty obvious that who ever came up with this hogwash does not work in the clinical setting. Why are they getting tougher instead of easier. I am 47 years old and do not need anymore hastles in my professional life. I am going to consider a change to another career, mabey the bridge program in Mississippi is right for me. Any ideas on what, if anything, can be done about this?

Not much. This is coming down from ABOVE the NCCPA. Physician groups, including the AMA are supporting this, and I know that ED physicians and FP docs are going to have similar requirements.

This really isn't that bad. I've gotten a few hundred emails, and to be honest, there seems to be a misconception that this is a "research" requirement. Which it is not....in fact, that is rather insulting...These PI-CME projects are coming to EVERYONE. (Don't know about nurses or NPs) but for pretty much all physicians (including those who are not BC) and PAs..this is going to be a requirement.

I wouldn't get too upset about this. It's all just process improvement. Could have been worse....they could have mandated we do this AND stay on a 6 year testing cycle.

Very interesting that this is coming from above our NCCPA....here in IL, where the AMA is located...our physicians don't even have to be board certified here in this state and NPs do a one and done...it's the PAs that get crapped on over and over...

That's changing for non board certified physicians. They just may not know it yet. The Federated State Medical Boards voted unanimously to change licensure requirements requiring ongoing certification. Non boarded physicians will have a WHOLE new re-licensing pathway that will be administered by the medical boards. It may vary slightly from state to state, but they were in complete agreement that the old way of doing things cannot continue. The AMA is in support of the use of PI-CME.

As far as CAQ, not sure. This is a direct quote from part of an email I got from a friend at NCCPA.

Everyone will have to complete 2 self-assessment CME activities and 2 PI-CME activities during the new 10-year cycle. To read that level of detail, you had to click on the link at the bottom of the news blast to get to the full article online for the section called “More Specifics on the New Process.”

Mike

Not much. This is coming down from ABOVE the NCCPA. Physician groups, including the AMA are supporting this, and I know that ED physicians and FP docs are going to have similar requirements.

This really isn't that bad. I've gotten a few hundred emails, and to be honest, there seems to be a misconception that this is a "research" requirement. Which it is not....in fact, that is rather insulting...These PI-CME projects are coming to EVERYONE. (Don't know about nurses or NPs) but for pretty much all physicians (including those who are not BC) and PAs..this is going to be a requirement.

I wouldn't get too upset about this. It's all just process improvement. Could have been worse....they could have mandated we do this AND stay on a 6 year testing cycle.

Dot know about NPs, but CRNAs announced a few months ago they were going to this as well, along with a 8 year recert exam.

this new pi-cme seems like another way 4 some1 2 make $$$

what is this self-assessment bs anyway? what am i assessing for?/against? what?

what if i dont do anything with pts charts or charting? then what?

dont like it! why not leave it alone...? dont we (PA's) do enough crap work to maintain our PAC?

this new pi-cme seems like another way 4 some1 2 make $$$

what is this self-assessment bs anyway? what am i assessing for?/against? what?

what if i dont do anything with pts charts or charting? then what?

dont like it! why not leave it alone...? dont we (PA's) do enough crap work to maintain our PAC?

My SP and I spoke about this a few weeks ago. He is an AAFP member and they are also going this route. From waht i gather (and please, someone correct me if I am way oof base) the PI-CME is anything that assesses your clinic's efficiency or organization......yah its crap.....Since my SP is going to be working on this I guess he and I can complete it together. I still haven't read up on all the changes but we discussed it in my practice issues class for my Masters last fall and my classmates were for the 10 year interval but against the PI-CME also. Again I don't know how involved the project would be. I sure hope it wont take too much time away from clinical practice.

A Project...

Oh, 2 projects...

I work 220+hours/month at the ER

I work another 40-50 at my part time job

I already use my "Spare time" to help those that voted for Obama to get a return on thier investment.

So instead of going to a CME, relaxing, and taking a break from my cult of followers that are allergic to all NSAIDS, Tylenol, Tramadol, and ASA, I am going to be doing a self assessment project....

I have assessed myself and I am tired. I don't need another project.

I have a few cars that need restoration. Can I use that as my project?

I am sorry I am so negative, but like the horse in Animal Farm, I don't know how much longer I can support this.

I see no problem with this as long as everyone is going towards it - I just don't want to be the only profession that has our own professional agency selling us out to make themselves look better and making our lives more difficult....

I see to many bad decisions made by older PA and Doc's and NP's that have just not made the effort to stay up to date.... CME hurts and if done wrong it might really be bad but maybe the glass is half full......

Hope this is not going to make it even harder to be a PA instead of an NP...

I see no problem with this as long as everyone is going towards it - I just don't want to be the only profession that has our own professional agency selling us out to make themselves look better and making our lives more difficult....

I see to many bad decisions made by older PA and Doc's and NP's that have just not made the effort to stay up to date.... CME hurts and if done wrong it might really be bad but maybe the glass is half full......

Hope this is not going to make it even harder to be a PA instead of an NP...

Nope, most of the docs I know have to do this too...

I'm thinking of moving into primary care internal medicine/research, and had an informal interview today. The internist mentioned that they have to do PI-CME too...

A Project...

Oh, 2 projects...

I already use my "Spare time" to help those that voted for Obama to get a return on thier investment.

So instead of going to a CME, relaxing, and taking a break from my cult of followers that are allergic to all NSAIDS, Tylenol, Tramadol, and ASA, I am going to be doing a self assessment project....

I am sorry I am so negative, but like the horse in Animal Farm, I don't know how much longer I can support this.

Amen, brother.

Amen.

A Project...

Oh, 2 projects...

Right from the Horse's Mouth...as they say:

"The new CME requirements – 20 credits directed toward self-assessment

activities or PI-CME – affect the first four CME cycles in every 10-year

certification maintenance cycle. During the fifth and final CME cycle, PAs are

free to fulfill the 100-credit CME requirement any way they choose, giving PAs

preparing for PANRE maximum flexibility.

In addition, to make sure all PAs are benefitting from both self-assessment

activities and PI-CME, during every 10-year certification maintenance

cycle, PAs must complete at least two of each type of these activities."

Taken directly from NCCPA site!

I really enjoy the wording here! :heheh:

Right from the Horse's Mouth...as they say:

"The new CME requirements – 20 credits directed toward self-assessment

activities or PI-CME – affect the first four CME cycles

Sorry, you picked the wrong end of the horse's alimentary canal.

My overriding question is, if we are going to do everything that physicians do, why not just get rid of the PA profession and just have all docs. What will be the "advantage" to someone becoming a PA? What will be the advantage to society to have PAs around instead of all docs?

I see no problem with the projects for PA's who work clinically full time or even regular part time. This issue I have with this is what about those of us who work full time in academia? I don't have a lot of clinical time as it is and see myself having to spend extra time going to the ED when I am not even scheduled to get something like this done.

Pat

I see no problem with the projects for PA's who work clinically full time or even regular part time. This issue I have with this is what about those of us who work full time in academia? I don't have a lot of clinical time as it is and see myself having to spend extra time going to the ED when I am not even scheduled to get something like this done.

Pat

Here's the answer:

"AAPA is also working with NCCPA and others to identify viable options for

certified PAs who are not practicing clinically.

"Throughout discussions about these new requirements, NCCPA leaders have been

very cognizant that our process would need to make appropriate allowances for

PAs who aren't practicing clinically," said Mark Christiansen, PhD, PA-C, NCCPA

chair elect and director of the University of California – Davis PA Program.

"We've discussed a number of approaches to this and appreciate that AAPA agreed

to spearhead discussions about the most effective ways to include non-clinicians

in the new certification maintenance process."

The outcome of those discussions is expected later this year and will be

announced in a future NCCPA News article. "

Who knows what they'll come up with?.....

Great PLAN!....

Here's the answer:

"AAPA is also working with NCCPA and others to identify viable options for

certified PAs who are not practicing clinically.

"Throughout discussions about these new requirements, NCCPA leaders have been

very cognizant that our process would need to make appropriate allowances for

PAs who aren't practicing clinically," said Mark Christiansen, PhD, PA-C, NCCPA

chair elect and director of the University of California – Davis PA Program.

"We've discussed a number of approaches to this and appreciate that AAPA agreed

to spearhead discussions about the most effective ways to include non-clinicians

in the new certification maintenance process."

The outcome of those discussions is expected later this year and will be

announced in a future NCCPA News article. "

Who knows what they'll come up with?.....

Great PLAN!....

Yup, same answer for more than a year. Useless.

Pat

Archived