If you were to choose a PA school all over again...

To do over again (aka the "what if" game)... If doing PA over again, I would do it the same way. Public, local program (1st year of program which was a mess!) followed by EM residency. But, if I was really doing it over again, I would have listened to my undergrad advisor and taken that human gross anatomy class in the summer, gotten the same EMS experience and then gone to med school and residency trained in EM for the same reasons EMED mentioned previously. I work at a few critical access places and have the same constraints on traumas and other scenarios as mentioned. If you really want to work the full breadth of EM, go to med school. I tell folks interested in the way I've done PA school and residency this all the time. PA is fine for half-way or fast track stuff, but to really do full breadth EM unencumbered, go to med school!

To really do it over again, I would probably join the Air Force, or one of the other branches, get pilot experience and later become a pilot for FedEx or do it privately for executives. 

To do over again (aka the "what if" game)... If doing PA over again, I would do it the same way. Public, local program (1st year of program which was a mess!) followed by EM residency. But, if I was really doing it over again, I would have listened to my undergrad advisor and taken that human gross anatomy class in the summer, gotten the same EMS experience and then gone to med school and residency trained in EM for the same reasons EMED mentioned previously. I work at a few critical access places and have the same contraints on traumas and other scenarios as mentioned. If you really want to work the full breadth of EM, go to med school. I tell folks interested in the way I've done PA school and residency this all the time. PA is fine for half-way or fast tract stuff, but to really do full breadth EM unencumbered, go to med school!
To really do it over again, I would probably join the Air Force, or one of the other branches, get pilot experience and later become a pilot for FedEx or do it privately for executives. 

LOL on the corporate pilot idea. One of my classmates had done this prior to PA school, graduated, then immediately went to med school with another classmate.

I think we will have OTP or something similar(like Michigan and New Mexico just got) in a handful(?5) of progressive states in the next five years and the rest within 20 years. Just like getting RX rights, it will take time. A new name will help. anything that does not include assistant is fine by me. Medical practitioner, Clinical associate, whatever....

TBH medicine from back in the day seems to facilitate the MD career route a lot better then now a days. I think this is a bit evident that even with a shortage of doctors you see more people trying to be mid level providers instead and the competition is fierce. Personally, I would rather risk lower career income, then retiring early from 80 hour weeks.

It sounds like cost one of the highest factors to consider here. I appreciate the other answers to consider, retention rate, minimum grades, etc.

During my interviews, schools try and portray how they are unique, but in reality, just like the applicants, most everything seems to be equivocal.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:36 AM, EMEDPA said:

"Personally, I would rather risk lower career income, then retiring early from 80 hour weeks."

another PA myth....outside of surgery, most PAs work as much or more than the docs they work with....

I would even argue that "back in the day" I would show up early on Monday mornings (our surgery day) to make certain that all was still well after coming in on EACH Sunday afternoon to do their H&P's and order pre-op labs and would be there just as late as the physician (who was on their phone working on their latest, greatest business deal).  Between spine cases I'd be up on the floor making rounds while the physician is sitting in the lounge having a cup of Java, and again, on their phone or chatting up the nurses.  I had him beat hours wise easily, as well as I had the pleasure of taking call that same night as opposed to one of the docs.  NOW I remember why I left that job.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:36 AM, EMEDPA said:

"Personally, I would rather risk lower career income, then retiring early from 80 hour weeks."

another PA myth....outside of surgery, most PAs work as much or more than the docs they work with....

Yeah outside of residency and fellowship,’I don’t think most physicians work more hours than PAs, or have to do more paperwork, etc etc

1 hour ago, EndBulbsOfMouse said:

Yeah outside of residency and fellowship,’I don’t think most physicians work more hours than PAs, or have to do more paperwork, etc etc

Except some surgical fields, docs work similar hours as PA's. In some fields, they do even less and hire PA's and NP's to do scrub/mundane works.  It is a myth that they all work like dogs. They work similar 3x12, 4x10, 5x8 shifts.  But the downside might be that these docs get paid a lot  less than surgeons

I guess the only annoying additional crap they have to do is sign PA;s notes in some states. Getting this OTP passed should be in these doctors best interest

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, ArmyVetDude said:

Getting this OTP passed should be in these doctors best interest

but it is not, at least according to student doctor network. All complaints about mid-levels (NPs, CRNAs, PAs) encroaching upon their field and I quote "THEY NEED TO BE STOPPED, PATIENTS WILL DIE"

Archived