Licensed PA moving to another state.. steps to get a new license?

I'm am licensed in Pennsylvania. I am, theoretically, looking to move to another state. Either Washington, Oregon, Colorado, or Montana. The hubby is still trying to find a job as he has a rather specific degree. What is the process of getting a new license in another state? Do I have to do everything as if I am fresh out of school or is there an easier way to go about things?

Thank you!

The best way is to google "state physician assistant license", with state being the state you want, obviously.  Start early, because some states are ridiculous, with fingerprinting.  The answer to your question is yes, just like you are out of school.  You will probably need to get copies of your NCCPA cert, diploma, and in one state, I had to get references.  In another, I just filled out the forms.

9 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

For Alaska, I had to get a clearance from every place I ever held any sort of a medical license; Washington charged me $30 for this.  I also had to send notarized copies of my diplomas--transcripts were also required, but just not good enough for some reason.

I just applied for my Alaska license and their process needs some updating.  

If you are moving to Colorado, get started ASAP. It took me almost 5 months to get my license; DORA either has no concept of time or simply could not care less about getting you licensed. They would respond with an email (after repeated calls/emails) to let me know I was missing something (that I had faxed several times). Once I would fax it (again), I would then play the repeated emails/calls game to get them to acknowledge they received it, only to have them turn around and tell me I needed something else. Compared to licensing in Illinois, it was a nightmare. Maybe I was an isolated case, but it does not sound like it after talking to some colleagues.

• Administrator

The worst thing is... each new license is WORSE than the last, because each new license is one more you have to demonstrate hasn't been involved in any disciplinary actions.

I saw an MD get a temporary NC license for Hurricane Florence relief when I was there.  I'm now thinking "And forever after, you're going to have to query NC every time you need a new state license..."

On 11/1/2018 at 11:33 PM, rev ronin said:

The worst thing is... each new license is WORSE than the last, because each new license is one more you have to demonstrate hasn't been involved in any disciplinary actions.

I saw an MD get a temporary NC license for Hurricane Florence relief when I was there.  I'm now thinking "And forever after, you're going to have to query NC every time you need a new state license..."

This is exactly right ^^^

Archived