Speech Recognition Software

I'm looking to simplify my Urgent Care charting my incorporating Speech Recognition specifically Voice to Text translation.  My current place of employment uses Docutap EMR.  

What experiences have you guys had with this?  I'm specifically looking for hardware/software recommendations.  

I appreciate your help in advance.

I have always used Dragon Medical. No experience with anything else.

Dragon is kind of the gold standard from what I have seen.

A one user private license is $1800 with one magic wand hand mic. Corporate accounts have either headsets or magic wands.

I have used it for over 15 yrs  and really like it.

They have lifetime customer/tech support and a 1-800 number answered by techs.

Only one user per magic mic - can't skimp on the licenses - they do get you there.

Good Luck

dragon is a disaster at our facility. can not pick up accents and frequently just inserts random stuff. this is likely because we have multiple users/station.

my 2 favorites:

Canadian Dr with strong accent dictates" pt presents with rigors". dragon writes "pt presents with rye girls". every. single. time. he stopped trying to fix it and because he is old and Canadian he can't teach himself to say "shaking chills".

"antibiotics as directed" became "gargle antibiotics in your buttocks". this was given to a patient. they called back and asked how to do that. seriously.

We use MModal dictation software with Philips SpeechMike microphones.  It works pretty well with Epic; one nice feature is that if you don't have a mike handy you can use the MModal dictation app to connect your iPhone to your desktop and use your phone as a dictation mike.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, EMEDPA said:

dragon is a disaster at our facility. can not pick up accents and frequently just inserts random stuff. this is likely because we have multiple users/station.

my 2 favorites:

Canadian Dr with strong accent dictates" pt presents with rigors". dragon writes "pt presents with rye girls". every. single. time. he stopped trying to fix it and because he is old and Canadian he can't teach himself to say "shaking chills".

"antibiotics as directed" became "gargle antibiotics in your buttocks". this was given to a patient. they called back and asked how to do that. seriously.

My personal favorite.."crepitus" Dragon translates to "crap on this".   "Rest" is frequently changed to "breast" as well.  Definitely need to proof read notes or they can become very interesting.

• Administrator

Dragon one time gave me a patient who had had an assyrian section....

There are two keys to using Dragon, IMHO:
1) Buy the home and office version.  It still picks up very obscure medical terms.
2) Have a separate profile for each user.

With all its occasional silliness, if you can have it read your notes as documents, it picks up your vocabulary pretty well.  If you invest a bit of time in training a profile it works exceptionally well.

Dragon was once my waking nightmare in an ER. Spent hours trying to train it with little improvement. I have not used it in over a decade, so I imagine it is much improved. 

The one thing it was good for was storing macros for frequently repeated stuff, so I could say "Macro normal chest" or "Macro normal belly" and it would insert a paragraph of normal exam findings. 

Archived