Hello! I am currently having an existential crisis and would be EXTREMELY grateful for any advice I can get as I am currently feeling very lost. I just graduated, May 2018, with my B.S. in psychology from a top 10 public university. I am currently working as a medical research assistant, with the original intent to apply for my PhD in clinical psychology within the next year or two, to become a child/adolescent psychologist. I have recently started thinking about the possibility of becoming a PA though. However, I did not complete the pre-reqs for PA school while in undergrad. My question is, would it be possible to complete these pre-reqs at a community college? This is the only way I could see this career path being possible for me at this point, as I cannot afford to go back to a 4 year university. Do PA schools look down at community college courses? Would I not even be a contender when applying? Thank you so much in advance for the help!

My entire PA school prereq coursework was through community college.  Then I went into a specific associates program at a CC and obtained my bachelor's online.  As long as your classes meet the school requirements, you'll be fine.  Start thinking about which schools you'd want to apply for and check the requirements.

I would look at the specific programs you are planning to apply to and see if they have any requirements about where you take prerequisites. I also had to go back to school after my bachelors and took probably about half or more of my prerequisites at a community college. I have been offered 10 interviews and I have attended 3 so far with multiple acceptances and no one has brought this up.Doesn't seem to be an issue at all as long as you meet the requirements! I also researched hundreds of programs before applying and I don't remember coming across any that had an issue with CC courses. Hope this can be an encouragement to you! Good luck on your journey ?

A few schools I found have said they give strong preference to pre-reqs taken at 4-year institutions, but I believe that's because they're super competitive and receive several thousand applications for less than 100 seats. They can afford to be snobby. The vast majority of schools don't care as long as they're regionally accredited. They are far more concerned that you performed well in your classes, especially if you did so while working. 

Archived