Seasonal Retail before start date

Background:

• New grad and passed PANCE!
  • Accepted amazing job offer out of state and plan to start next year due to licensing and credentialing process (January february)
  • Planning to establish living in next few months in new state

Before starting my first PA job next year i wanted to get everyone's thoughts on getting a seasonal retail job while waiting for the job to start. I was thinking of avoiding hospital jobs because working 3 or fewer months in the hospital system would look bad on my overall resume. My thinking for seasonal retail job would be for something quick and easy to help with the debt burden and to also save up for gifts for the holidays. Living with family but would not want to be too much of a burden on them financially. 

Wanted to get your thoughts/opinions and recommendations! Any reasons not to do it? 

Background:
  • New grad and passed PANCE!
  • Accepted amazing job offer out of state and plan to start next year due to licensing and credentialing process (January february)
  • Planning to establish living in next few months in new state
Before starting my first PA job next year i wanted to get everyone's thoughts on getting a seasonal retail job while waiting for the job to start. I was thinking of avoiding hospital jobs because working 3 or fewer months in the hospital system would look bad on my overall resume. My thinking for seasonal retail job would be for something quick and easy to help with the debt burden and to also save up for gifts for the holidays. Living with family but would not want to be too much of a burden on them financially. 
Wanted to get your thoughts/opinions and recommendations! Any reasons not to do it? 
Why would you need to put a 3 mo job in your resume if it's not a PA job? You already have the PA job lined up so the 3 mo job would be nothing. Would you put your 3 mo retail job in your resume?

I say work in the hospital vs retail to keep you in a clinical environment. But just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, thinkertdm said:

What do you mean, "seasonal retail job"?  Like a walk-in or urgent care?

Seasonal retail like department stores, or clothing stores in the mall. I was thinking very low stress jobs, with willingness to hire for a short time period. This would also give me time to review material and have flexibility to spend  time with family/friends prior to moving up.

@joelseff- thank you for your input! I was leaning towards clinical jobs but was wondering if hospital employers would be willing to invest a month of training for a per diem employee working for 2-3 months.

Assuming credentialing would take about the same amount of time regardless of job as a new grad leads me to believe that “retail” might mean working at Lowes , Home Depot, or others during the holiday season. I’d say take the time to reconnect with family and friends. After all, you were probably nonexistent to them for the last 2.5 years. I do understand the urgency of starting to make money with the student debt looming over your head though. 

Seasonal retail like department stores, or clothing stores in the mall. I was thinking very low stress jobs, with willingness to hire for a short time period. This would also give me time to review material and have flexibility to spend  time with family/friends prior to moving up.
@joelseff- thank you for your input! I was leaning towards clinical jobs but was wondering if hospital employers would be willing to invest a month of training for a per diem employee working for 2-3 months.
What did you do pre-pa?

11 minutes ago, Joelseff said:

What did you do pre-pa?

I used to work as an EMT/TECH, but my certifications have lapsed. Thought about recertifying, but the time between taking classes and obtaining certification again would take a few months.

@EMSguy1982- I appreciate your response! Catching up with family is definitely a prioirty for the next few months.

I used to work as an EMT/TECH, but my certifications have lapsed. Thought about recertifying, but the time between taking classes and obtaining certification again would take a few months.

Hmm. Well. Unless you want to be a scribe for a few mos there's really not much. Retail may be your best bet but if you aren't really *hurting* for money, I agree with the above, enjoy your next few months off. Soon you will miss having time off.

I'd say go for the retail job. 

When I graduated I had a few months gap as well between passing pance and starting the position due to the crazy credentialing process. I worked as a waiter in a pretty busy restaurant and was able to get some cash to hold me through until I started. Was able to pay off my DEA fees (employer did not pay), renew ACLS/BLS, and take care of my car payments for a few months, as well as save up for buying gifts for family/friends for the holidays as well. 

Most importantly, it was something i could get in and make money right away. Ideally a clinical job would be the best option, but they usually have training periods as well and it would take time to get fully established. If you just want to make some quick cash, retail would be the best option. Also it would be a low stress position to give you time to prep for your PA position, spend time with family/friends, and give you time for yourself to relax. 

@PACJD- thank you for sharing your insight and recommendation. Working per diem or part time would definitely help offset the cost for other certifications and bills.

@Joelseff- I'm not 100% hurting for money, but to go from: making money (EMT/tech job) --> getting money (loans) --> losing money (currently), is feeling like a punch to the gut. I also have that nagging guilt of having family support me. But I agree with you that spent to myself is also an investment that I won't regret. Thanks for your 2 cents!

Way back in the prehistoric days (did you see Alpha the movie? It was about that era) I graduated from the PA program at the U of Kentucky. It was a nightmare for all 14 graduates. Six months after our exams, still only two had PA jobs (one committed suicide because he could not find employment). I was hungry, literally. I didn't have $5 to my name. I used to go through the dorms looking for loose change in the lobby couches to buy one box of Mac and Cheese to last two days. I had made contact with 123 doctors and all told me to go to hell. I was depressed. I took a seasonal job at Sears (during the holidays) as well as worked with manpower doing clean up work (where I met another unemployed PA). I saw a couple of patients who had seen me at the Internal Medicine Clinic at the UK. They asked, "Weren't you my doctor?" two which I replied, "You must be mistaking me for someone else." 

I never mentioned this job on my CV. So, I can understand how situations may work out.

Way back in the prehistoric days (did you see Alpha the movie? It was about that era) I graduated from the PA program at the U of Kentucky. It was a nightmare for all 14 graduates. Six months after our exams, still only two had PA jobs (one committed suicide because he could not find employment). I was hungry, literally. I didn't have $5 to my name. I used to go through the dorms looking for loose change in the lobby couches to buy one box of Mac and Cheese to last two days. I had made contact with 123 doctors and all told me to go to hell. I was depressed. I took a seasonal job at Sears (during the holidays) as well as worked with manpower doing clean up work (where I met another unemployed PA). I saw a couple of patients who had seen me at the Internal Medicine Clinic at the UK. They asked, "Weren't you my doctor?" two which I replied, "You must be mistaking me for someone else." 

I never mentioned this job on my CV. So, I can understand how situations may work out.

I know this feeling, as did a fair percentage of my UTMB classmates back then. No suicides, thank goodness. I helped a college friend of mine through the first of the following year clean offices at night. And this was when there were only three programs in the state putting out around 100 grads a year.

Wow! I guess we take the current availability of PA jobs for granted. Thanks for sharing this to serve as a reminder of how good we actually have it now. Thanks for all your contributions as well as the other OG PA's here. Thank God for you and your sacrifices that we are able to have good paying jobs and a presence in Healthcare.

34 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Do you like dogs?  Does your city have Rover.com or the Wag app?  Easy money and can work as much or little as you want and still have time for family.

Totally not an ad - just something I considered doing during the same graduation/job lapse.

I have a patient who told me he is making about 80k/yr doing that in Seattle.

Archived