Will programs take a failed PA-S?

I failed out of PA school. I got a 77% in one course, passing is 80%. Failure of a course constitutes dismissal from the program. It was my 1st semester, where I had several significant issues to deal with. I may have a chance at getting back in to the program, but I have to apply all over again. If I were to apply to other programs, what are the odds they'd even look at my application?

(My issues were being out of school for 10 years, having nonexistent study skills, having 2 kids-1 with a chronic medical condition that requires constant attention, my husband worked nights so he was sleeping while I studied, and my mom, who moved to help us with the kids, up and left one day because she missed her freedom)

It's rare for a student to be re-accepted after failing out (so rare I haven't heard of it happening).

First, does the program you failed out from have some sort of option to decelerate and start over?  While all programs are different and can have whatever rules they want, usually you just have to maintain a 3.0...so it's a little shocking that a 77% in one course would be enough to send you away.

If you have no option with your current/former program, you can certainly try to apply but the biggest thing you need to do is be able to prove that you have resolved or found solutions to your issues listed above.  You have a lot going on and while you can eventually get back into the swing of school after 10 years or develop study skills, you don't really have TIME to do that in PA school.  You've got to get them FAST.  Your family, on the other hand, is obviously not something you can change so you need to consider how you would approach PA school again with the hurdles you have.  Not even just to tell/prove to schools, but so that you can be successful.

I won't lie, odds aren't great.  I'd suggest reaching out to programs and feeling it out before wasting all the money on CASPA and supplementals just to find out it's too big of a red flag for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

MT2PA: no option to decelerate. Policy is pass every course with an 80 or you're done. I had a meeting with all the faculty and explained openly all the barriers and things that I messed up on. I know I was at fault for most of my failure, and they appreciated my honesty. The director said I should make the threshold for an interview again, and if so I'd have to prove that I've changed and would be successful the 2nd time. However, I doubt I'd be re-chosen with a huge applicant pool. 

I'm also an MT, btw. 

other programs may not take you given a huge pool of folks with great grades/hce/etc. Your best chance is to change your home situation in some way for the better, convince them the issues have been fixed,  and reapply to the program you were let go by. My program allowed folks to fail one class and restart the following year. they had to retake everything and any further failure meant dismissal. fail 2 courses in the same term and instant dismissal.

• Upvote 2

Ilygurlie: no exceptions. I appealed my dismissal because the reason I failed that course was an exam that 75% of the class failed, but since I didn't appeal the grade within the allotted time, my appeal was denied. I got a 77, which is passing for many programs, but not this one. I was hoping that other programs would see that it was still a somewhat decent grade and at least give me a chance. If I had the chance at my program to just start over, I'd take it in an instant. But they don't offer that.

6 minutes ago, DStillwagon said:

Ilygurlie: no exceptions. I appealed my dismissal because the reason I failed that course was an exam that 75% of the class failed, but since I didn't appeal the grade within the allotted time, my appeal was denied. I got a 77, which is passing for many programs, but not this one. I was hoping that other programs would see that it was still a somewhat decent grade and at least give me a chance. If I had the chance at my program to just start over, I'd take it in an instant. But they don't offer that.

I’m assuming that if you apply to other programs, you are required to disclose that you previously attended PA school and failed out?

Edited by ilygurlie

Just now, ilygurlie said:

I’m assuming that if you apply to other programs, you are required to disclose that you previously attended another program?

Yes, I not only have to disclose that I was in a program, but also that I was dismissed. I'm thinking if I don't get back in to my program that I'm going to have to do a medical master's or post bacc to prove my ability to do a rigorous program. I'm so sick over it. This was my top choice and only place I wanted to get my education. Mad at myself is an understatement. 

1 minute ago, DStillwagon said:

Yes, I not only have to disclose that I was in a program, but also that I was dismissed. I'm thinking if I don't get back in to my program that I'm going to have to do a medical master's or post bacc to prove my ability to do a rigorous program. I'm so sick over it. This was my top choice and only place I wanted to get my education. Mad at myself is an understatement. 

I could only imagine.

Are there maybe other health careers you would be interested in? I would be afraid of putting the work, time, and money into a postbacc to find out in the end that failing out of a program will ultimately end up in an automatic rejection.

• Upvote 1

Not really. Every time I think of different options, I always come back to PA. I've considered a BA to BSN, but I really don't want to be a nurse. I know eventually I could move to NP, but I'd likely need nursing experience first. There are more options, but nothing I can imagine doing for the rest of my life. 

An ABSN is much more practical than a master's in biomedicine/medical science. Both probably cost the same, but a BSN is much more clinically related and guarantees a career post-graduation. If PA schools won't touch your application then there is no reason to continue fighting an expensive battle. Just my $0.02. 

I never wanted to be a nurse but look at me now, 3 months away from graduation, and I haven't had any regrets so far. Life doesn't stop and I'm ready to have a career, make money, go on vacation, and buy expensive toys. I could've tried for PA schools one more time, but by the time I started I would already be done with my BSN and be in the workforce 1 year sooner. It was a no-brainer.

• Upvote 2

I would say BSN programs are a lot more laxed than MS prepared programs. Mine accepted me even though their PA program rejected me and it was brought up during the interview. Your case is unique though and not the same as mine. But it's worth a shot. 

Edited by Diggy

On 5/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, futurepa588 said:

Have you considered direct entry NP programs? I know Boston College and Vanderbilt have programs which are 2 to 2.5 years and you come out with Nurse Practitioner degree.

That is a scary thought (too quick and not safe for the patients, they just want your money). My wife is a FNP with 4 years of cardio telem. experience and she struggles a lot in the clinic. Luckily she has me to ask questions to, I could not even imagine if I was not in the medical field what she would be doing. She works at a privately owned NP clinic so not a lot of initial training. I would NOT do the direct entry options for NP.   

On 5/21/2018 at 1:17 PM, camoman1234 said:

That is a scary thought (too quick and not safe for the patients, they just want your money). My wife is a FNP with 4 years of cardio telem. experience and she struggles a lot in the clinic. Luckily she has me to ask questions to, I could not even imagine if I was not in the medical field what she would be doing. She works at a privately owned NP clinic so not a lot of initial training. I would NOT do the direct entry options for NP.   

Interesting. I haven't looked into in that much. I just know that they exist. 

• 2 months later...
I’m really sorry to hear that. I recognize your username from a previous thread and I interviewed at the same school. 
Is there any exceptions that can be made? I really doubt that another program would take you knowing you failed out.
What school was this?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk