Will programs take a failed PA-S?

Just now, ilygurlie said:

Did you ever figure out what to do next?

I reapplied, got denied because I don't meet the "benchmarks for interview or admission to the program." They cited reasons such as not enough shadowing or volunteer hours, despite my large number of HCE/PCE hours, no letter from a dr or PA this time, and no leadership experience. 

I applied to one other program. If that doesn't pan out, I'm going to do something else. This was my 5th cycle and I just can't do it anymore. 

2 hours ago, DStillwagon said:

I reapplied, got denied because I don't meet the "benchmarks for interview or admission to the program." They cited reasons such as not enough shadowing or volunteer hours, despite my large number of HCE/PCE hours, no letter from a dr or PA this time, and no leadership experience. 

I applied to one other program. If that doesn't pan out, I'm going to do something else. This was my 5th cycle and I just can't do it anymore. 

Are there any new PA schools in your area?

I have some application weak spots of my own; namely being on academic probation and dismissed from undergrad and leaving with a 1.6 GPA after 3 years (yeah...those arent typos LOL). I did something similar to what you thought of...I went back into school (after years of working) and killed it in the 3 years of schooling (earning a 3.9 GPA) to get an overall GPA that would qualify me to apply to schools. 

In fact I even took 22 credits one semester just to prove to schools that I can successfully handle intense, difficult,  and demanding workloads. 

Also, consider schools that take the GRE or MCAT. A lot of schools dont require either, but its a good way to set yourself apart if you do well.

I think established popular schools just toss my application in the garbage can because they are looking for any reason to make their 3,000-4,000 applicant piles into something manageable. If you look at new schools that are only a few years old, they get 1,000 applicants or less, so they likely take more consideration into each applicant.

I even applied to schools that are under development and are not fully accreddited yet (on probation status or getting probation status with first cohort).

But then again, I am willing to travel to any part of the country to do this. So I hope there are new/developing schools near you that can give you a shot. ESPECIALLY since most schools wont fail a student just because of one class score ( the vast majpority that I have seen just requires a 3.0 overall to graduate/progress) 

Edited by OwlKing
  • Upvote 1

There are a couple programs developing, but not within commuting distance. I'm willing to move again, but I have a whole family to think about. Moving here was rough, I'm not excited about the prospect of doing it again so soon! 

My prereqs are mostly over 10 years old, so I'm very limited in the first place on where I can apply. It must not be my destiny. 

27 minutes ago, DStillwagon said:

There are a couple programs developing, but not within commuting distance. I'm willing to move again, but I have a whole family to think about. Moving here was rough, I'm not excited about the prospect of doing it again so soon! 

My prereqs are mostly over 10 years old, so I'm very limited in the first place on where I can apply. It must not be my destiny. 

Or maybe you are just rushing it. You said it yourself....you were out of school forever and that did a number on you when you started. Heck when I went back to undergrad I had to re-learn how to study, learn, be disciplined, etc. I know people who got stellar grades, were naturally gifted in intellect, worked their butts off in undergrad, got into PA school and were BLOWN AWAY at how much more demanding PA school was ( and our undergrad is VERY demanding and rigorous, even  compared to local IVY league schools). 

THat being said, even though you technically failed out....I wouldnt see that as a failure given the odd graduation requirements your particular school has and how diffcult/demanding PA programs are. 

If you are frustrated with your current situation, give it a few years. Work at a job you enjoy, gain more experience, re-take a class or two per semester at a community college. I dont know how old your kids are, but at some point they require less parenting ( teenager as oppose to toddlers or whatever) and once you are in PA school in that time, they will require less of your parenting/attention ( for a lack of a better term). 

You are clearly driven to do this, and if it is your destiny, you dont necessarily know when that will be. And if you persevere, what a great personal statement will that make on your application! And if you keep working at it in general, you can also prepare for plan B at the same time and be better prepared for what that might be.

But I get it.....time, money, responsibilities.  And Applying sucks, but its not some HUGE ordeal thats insurmountable or costs that much. But we are talking about the rest of your life here. I think its worth it to keep trying....even uif trying means taking a few years off before you try again.

Edited by OwlKing
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CostBoss said:

How would a new PA program know that you’ve failed if you apply again? 

Well, CASPA asks if you've ever had academic sanctions, like academic probation or dismissal. If I answer honestly, programs will obviously know. If I don't, and they find out later, it would be worse. Plus, they'll see my transcript with one semester of PA school and ask me to explain. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DStillwagon said:

Not gonna lie, I rotated with a medical student with a similar situation as yours.

She went to medical school years prior as a parent of 2 young children (2 and 4 y/o i believe), and she ultimately failed out by like 1-2 % during her 1st year. She took some classes for a couple of months and gained some healthcare experience working an EKG tech for 3-5 years. Once her children were a little older and her situation at home improved, she reapplied and was ultimately accepted. She was older (around 33 y/o as a 1st year med student), but she said once things at home steadied out she was able to focus on her career. 

So if being a PA/NP/doctor is something you really want, there is no rush. If right now isn't the right time, maybe in a few years it will be. Having young kids is definitely time consuming, but maybe once their a little older it will become easier.. Don't give up!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/15/2018 at 1:13 PM, StevenBrule said:

Also want to throw in anesthesiology assistant and pathologists assistant.  Both pretty competitive.  Although I think a ABSN program is a great idea followed shortly after by MSN/NP.  

Optometry school may be an option as well

Coming back to this after 3 years is very weird. Lol.

I tossed around pathologists assistant a ton. It's basically an extension of my previous education and experience (lab scientist). But let me add some new info, for those interested in how things turned out (very long). 

After I got dismissed, I was broke. I had made my husband quit working at the end of the semester because I needed time to study. Obviously, I no longer had my student loans for living expenses. Took 2 months to get a job after that, so groceries and bills went on credit cards. It was rough for several months, but I was making good money at the hospital and my husband got a job, so we were fine eventually. 

I was having health problems while I was in school. I was referred to rheumatology for a positive ANA, but didn't get in until 4 or 5 months after my dismissal. He determined it was fibromyalgia. I also had newly developed t2 diabetes. These were things I didn't know prior to dismissal, or I could have asked for a medical deceleration prior to actually being dismissed. I've been diagnosed with other things as well that definitely attributed to my inability to function in school (bipolar 2 disorder). I've got a whole team of doctors and a great therapist, so things are pretty good now in that regard.

As for working at the hospital, I loathed it entirely. Interviewed for a microbiology position at our state public health lab. They offered the job, but it didn't pay enough. When I declined, the director told me a supervisor position was opening soon and I was very qualified. Sure enough, it posted and I was offered the job. I've been there 2.5 years now and I absolutely love my job. The people are great, the benefits are great, and I feel like I make a difference.

I think my desire to go to PA school was to feel like I mattered (of course, I wanted to help people too). I was chasing happiness, and that's where I thought I'd find it. Turns out, it wasn't there.

I believe things happen for a reason. Had I not been accepted to that program, I'd not have moved here. I wouldn't have known about the job I have now. I wouldn't have found my excellent therapist and medical practitioners and wouldn't have met all the people (friends) who have changed my life so dramatically. 

I have a fortune taped to my work monitor that says something to the effect of "happiness isn't doing what you like, it's liking what you do." I know I would have been absolutely miserable in medicine. As much as it pains me to say, I'm glad I got kicked out. It made me take a long, hard look at myself and now things are a million percent better for me and my family. 

So for those of you in the same situation, I share my deepest, heartfelt sorrow for you. It's a hard path to navigate. Use this as an opportunity to really evaluate what it is you want out of life. And for goodness sake, find yourself a good therapist because they are a necessity!

Feel free to reach out to me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DStillwagon said:

Coming back to this after 3 years is very weird. Lol.

I tossed around pathologists assistant a ton. It's basically an extension of my previous education and experience (lab scientist). But let me add some new info, for those interested in how things turned out (very long). 

After I got dismissed, I was broke. I had made my husband quit working at the end of the semester because I needed time to study. Obviously, I no longer had my student loans for living expenses. Took 2 months to get a job after that, so groceries and bills went on credit cards. It was rough for several months, but I was making good money at the hospital and my husband got a job, so we were fine eventually. 

I was having health problems while I was in school. I was referred to rheumatology for a positive ANA, but didn't get in until 4 or 5 months after my dismissal. He determined it was fibromyalgia. I also had newly developed t2 diabetes. These were things I didn't know prior to dismissal, or I could have asked for a medical deceleration prior to actually being dismissed. I've been diagnosed with other things as well that definitely attributed to my inability to function in school (bipolar 2 disorder). I've got a whole team of doctors and a great therapist, so things are pretty good now in that regard.

As for working at the hospital, I loathed it entirely. Interviewed for a microbiology position at our state public health lab. They offered the job, but it didn't pay enough. When I declined, the director told me a supervisor position was opening soon and I was very qualified. Sure enough, it posted and I was offered the job. I've been there 2.5 years now and I absolutely love my job. The people are great, the benefits are great, and I feel like I make a difference.

I think my desire to go to PA school was to feel like I mattered (of course, I wanted to help people too). I was chasing happiness, and that's where I thought I'd find it. Turns out, it wasn't there.

I believe things happen for a reason. Had I not been accepted to that program, I'd not have moved here. I wouldn't have known about the job I have now. I wouldn't have found my excellent therapist and medical practitioners and wouldn't have met all the people (friends) who have changed my life so dramatically. 

I have a fortune taped to my work monitor that says something to the effect of "happiness isn't doing what you like, it's liking what you do." I know I would have been absolutely miserable in medicine. As much as it pains me to say, I'm glad I got kicked out. It made me take a long, hard look at myself and now things are a million percent better for me and my family. 

So for those of you in the same situation, I share my deepest, heartfelt sorrow for you. It's a hard path to navigate. Use this as an opportunity to really evaluate what it is you want out of life. And for goodness sake, find yourself a good therapist because they are a necessity!

Feel free to reach out to me!

just wanted to congratulate you on getting kicked out I was also forced to withdraw and now six months later it was the best thing that’s ever happened to me! I became a director for covid  testing for The Los Angeles unified school district and I was able to hire and train over 700 people to come together for this effort! not only that but we hired about a dozen PAs to do Covid testing and all their friends and family members because we pay the highest in southern california. i’m starting an accelerated BSN program in the fall and my life has completely changed for the best once I let go of the PA path!