Aloe for GERD?

• Administrator

Really small sample size, no control group, and either they have a typo in table one or the patients they put on Aloe Vera are HUUUUUUGE.

Worth studying further, better.  Nothing at this point that would change my clinical practice--around here, the non-pharmaceutical folks will have already tried any such remedy on their own before coming to an allopathic medicine provider.

Doesn’t appear to be blinded and no placebo. Add in the noted sample size along with 2 and 4 week follow up end points with symptoms as only outcomes measured and this leaves a lot to be desired. 

I was surprised to see in their conclusion that they recommend this as a treatment based mostly on this weak study but then I saw it was an open access Chinese medicine journal and it was less surprising. 

I agree with most of the above but the key word in the article for me was "safe"  Ever have a patient that did not get relief from various GERD meds?  I would try it off label with explanation to the patient.  I am sure it isn't expensive.

PS:  works really good on burns and sunburns.  Why not GERD??  IMHO

2 hours ago, TWR said:

I agree with most of the above but the key word in the article for me was "safe"  Ever have a patient that did not get relief from various GERD meds?  I would try it off label with explanation to the patient.  I am sure it isn't expensive.

PS:  works really good on burns and sunburns.  Why not GERD??  IMHO

With regard to PPIs, I've found that the most common reason for failure is improper dosing (instructions on how to take it aren't made clear, aren't given at all, or the patient fails to take it correctly).

Archived