Should I retake Chemistry?

Alright I am curious and want to know if anyone on here have gotten into any physician assistant program with a C in general chemistry. I made a C+ in my general chemistry I and a C in gen chem II. My gpa is at a 3.3-3.4 right now and I am not sure if I should take the time to retake it again. Any thought, comments, suggestions will be helpful.

I have an B in anatomy, A in physiology, and I cam currently planning on taking Bio 1, 2, and O.chem.

Alright I am curious and want to know if anyone on here have gotten into any physician assistant program with a C in general chemistry. I made a C+ in my general chemistry I and a C in gen chem II. My gpa is at a 3.3-3.4 right now and I am not sure if I should take the time to retake it again. Any thought, comments, suggestions will be helpful.

I have an B in anatomy, A in physiology, and I cam currently planning on taking Bio 1, 2, and O.chem.

It depends on the program you are interested in. Most programs require that you have a minimum of a B- or B in your prerequisite courses. A "C" or "C+" will get you an automatic rejection if you apply to schols with this kind of requirement. Most programs I know of require Chemistry, so I can imagine that you will be severly limited if you don't replace that grade. But again, check with the schools you will be applying to. A "C" never looks good anyway, even if it isn't an automatic rejection. It can't hurt you to retake it, unless you do equally bad or worse the second time around.

It depends on the program you are interested in. Most programs require that you have a minimum of a B- or B in your prerequisite courses. A "C" or "C+" will get you an automatic rejection if you apply to schols with this kind of requirement. Most programs I know of require Chemistry, so I can imagine that you will be severly limited if you don't replace that grade. But again, check with the schools you will be applying to. A "C" never looks good anyway, even if it isn't an automatic rejection. It can't hurt you to retake it, unless you do equally bad or worse the second time around.

Having a C in a prereq is not a death sentence-- if you have an otherwise strong application! If you are only taking the prereqs and really don't have much else for science then I would definitely retake it. If, on the other hand, you have a science heavy transcript that shows that you can do well in chem courses as well as advanced physiology, etc. then 1 class probably isn't such a big deal.

I have a C in organic chem (which I accepted, because the class really was that miserable!!) and had a really old C in general chem (that I made up for by making a 98% in quantitative analysis to show that I knew the material). I got in to PA school, first try at my #1 choice. However- I have a LOT of courses in various upper level sciences that I got all As in. Physiology, anatomy, physics, genetics, etc- it's all there and if you look at my transcripts those random Cs don't really stand out anymore.

I had this same question as I filled out my applications, and I finally had to make peace with my decision to not retake those courses. Keep in mind, your application is a whole package, not a series of checklists. Good luck!

Having a C in a prereq is not a death sentence-- if you have an otherwise strong application! If you are only taking the prereqs and really don't have much else for science then I would definitely retake it. If, on the other hand, you have a science heavy transcript that shows that you can do well in chem courses as well as advanced physiology, etc. then 1 class probably isn't such a big deal.

I have a C in organic chem (which I accepted, because the class really was that miserable!!) and had a really old C in general chem (that I made up for by making a 98% in quantitative analysis to show that I knew the material). I got in to PA school, first try at my #1 choice. However- I have a LOT of courses in various upper level sciences that I got all As in. Physiology, anatomy, physics, genetics, etc- it's all there and if you look at my transcripts those random Cs don't really stand out anymore.

I had this same question as I filled out my applications, and I finally had to make peace with my decision to not retake those courses. Keep in mind, your application is a whole package, not a series of checklists. Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys! All of the current school I am looking at currently only requires a grade of C or better(One of the school suggests to retake classes with C's but, only suggested it and did not required it). I understand that a C is not so hot but, I am not sure if I should spend the time and money to retake it again. My idea was to go ahead and apply and see what happens. I have a good amount of health care hours and will be getting more this summer. I am also working with one of my chemistry professor on an undergraduate research project(I made the C+ in this professors class). Would this extra curricular help offset the C's in chemistry? worst case scenario for me would be that I do not get accepted and if that is the case I guess ill just retake chemistry.

And also congrats on getting in allisones! I guess those other science classes help to offset those 2 C's in chemistry.

Again, Thanks for the response and suggestions guy! I will check back again.

Thanks for the input guys! All of the current school I am looking at currently only requires a grade of C or better(One of the school suggests to retake classes with C's but, only suggested it and did not required it). I understand that a C is not so hot but, I am not sure if I should spend the time and money to retake it again. My idea was to go ahead and apply and see what happens. I have a good amount of health care hours and will be getting more this summer. I am also working with one of my chemistry professor on an undergraduate research project(I made the C+ in this professors class). Would this extra curricular help offset the C's in chemistry? worst case scenario for me would be that I do not get accepted and if that is the case I guess ill just retake chemistry.

And also congrats on getting in allisones! I guess those other science classes help to offset those 2 C's in chemistry.

Again, Thanks for the response and suggestions guy! I will check back again.

the_tiger128-- If the school that you want to go to recommends retaking the course, you should go for it! A year is a long time to wait,especially if they have actually specified that this is what they prefer. If you don't want to spend the time or money (which I understand), I would definitely be taking another science course or two to show that you are putting energy into building a strong educational foundation and that you didn't just do the bare minimum. HCE is always good, of course. I have no idea how the chem research will affect your app, definitely won't hurt, but how much it helps probably depends on the school.

the_tiger128-- If the school that you want to go to recommends retaking the course, you should go for it! A year is a long time to wait,especially if they have actually specified that this is what they prefer. If you don't want to spend the time or money (which I understand), I would definitely be taking another science course or two to show that you are putting energy into building a strong educational foundation and that you didn't just do the bare minimum. HCE is always good, of course. I have no idea how the chem research will affect your app, definitely won't hurt, but how much it helps probably depends on the school.

Ok then. I guess the plan for now is to try and find a open schedule to fit chemistry in. Still need to take bio 1/2 and micro and Ochem. And I am at the end of my junior year *sigh*

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

There's no rush. You can continue to take classes after you graduate while you work on getting some HCE.

Ok then. I guess the plan for now is to try and find a open schedule to fit chemistry in. Still need to take bio 1/2 and micro and Ochem. And I am at the end of my junior year *sigh*

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

There's no rush. You can continue to take classes after you graduate while you work on getting some HCE.

Archived