Opinions on whether I should retake General Chemistry I and II

Hi, thank you to every one who dropped by to help! Below are the science courses I took in order, with grades:

general biology I (C- first time, A second time), general biology II (B-)

**general chemistry I (C+), general chemistry II (C) --- both with labs

general physiology (B)

biochemistry (B)

organic chem I (B-), organic chem II (B-)

genetics (B-)

microbiology (A)

human anatomy (A)

endocrinology (A)

Planning on taking: immunology, human physiology, developmental biology, medical terminology OR primate anatomy 

I'm currently a second term senior at a university, and I graduate Spring 2021. Many people advise students to not retake basic courses and focus on upper level courses, but there are also many people who suggest to retake any basic course with C grades to show PA schools that the first grades I received do not define my capability.

Any opinion on whether I should spend extra time to retake general chemistry I and II ? If I should retake them, then should I enroll in the labs again or that won't be necessary since I already took them the first time I took the courses?

Thank you again for your time!

Edited by KellyYe

HI!

So, I would look into the schools you are interested in that have cutoffs for gen chem. I know its a C at most schools, but some PA programs look heavily on the chem courses. Some schools I applied to for example, let me sub in Orgo instead of gen chem, and gen chem wasn't factored into my Program pre-req GPA, but in the overall caspa and science GPA.

I think you should take the upper level classes first (multiple of them) and see how you do, if you end up with high B+/A I would try and shoot my shot at applying. If you do not get in the first cycle, first thing to do to improve academically is retake gen chem. As for retaking the lab, if the class and the lab were separate (3 credits for class 1 for lab) and you got a grade in each, don't retake the lab. But if its 4 credits for both with one grade for both retake them both.

Also, it is advantageous to you to retake gen chem (if you choose to) at another university other than where you originally took it, as the new grades will replace the old ones as a prerequisite when the program looks at it. Both will be averaged into your overall CASPA gpa and science GPA, but the pre-req GPA for each program will only accept the higher grade if you report it that way. For example, if you got a C+ in gen chem originally at ABC university, retook it again at  XYZ university and got an A-, you can report the A- as the grade for the schools pre-req, and that is what they will see initially. 

Sorry if this was confusing! Best of luck to you! You can also message me with any questions!! I am currently in my second semester of PA school 🙂.

I would retake them. General chemistry is pretty much a prereq for all the PA programs in the country, meaning a lot of classes in Pa programs build upon general chemistry. Showing that you retook them and got an A shows your serious about re-learning material and can pass classes in PA school with As 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By FuturePAHopefully
      Hello Pre-PA Community!
      I want to start off by thanking this forum for the tremendous help and wealth of information provided for my own Pre-PA journey & want to give back to the community. A little bit about myself, I was a low GPA/PCE Applicant who was able to research admission strategies that landed me an acceptance to the #1 Physician Assistant Program in the United States - Duke University. Working as a tutor & academic coach for over 5 years, I value and appreciate those who invest in their future goals and want to help them along their journey.
      After spending several months researching how to get into PA School on the first try, I am proud to announce I have developed a strategy that allows one to emphasize their strengths and be accepted to their top-choice schools! My Interview Rate for all my applications were 80%, and my Acceptance Rate after the Interview was 90% through implementing pre & post interview strategies that increase memorability and subsequent acceptance. While I was looking for affordable Pre-PA services such as Mock Interviews or Personal Statement Review - I found them to be VERY expensive. While working a low pay PCE job, I found it difficult to afford these essential services. I want to give back to students at an affordable price to help save money for applications (an already expensive ordeal). I have created my own Physician Assistant Mentorship Service where I will be providing the MOST AFFORDABLE services available to motivated and driven students.
      Please visit pathtopa.youcanbook.me to schedule any one of the services offered. These services are especially useful if you are seeking guidance to joining this amazing profession (non-traditional students) or you are a driven first time applicant who wants to an acceptance their first cycle. Additionally, with EVERY SERVICE I provide a One on One Zoom Call to ensure that my advice is 100% tailored to your needs.
      Please feel free to ask about any of my services or about myself! I have just opened up my availability for February so check it out & share with family and friends.

• By Cpatter1
      Hello everyone,
      I am currently a junior about to start my applications to PA School! 
      I have most of my pre-reqs done, but last semester when I was signing up for classes I could not take genetics due to the capacity of the class, I instead took molecular genetics. Does anyone know if this class is substitutable?
      My advisor said it should be fine, but I just wanted to get some outside opinions because I have heard of people not getting into schools do to inadequate courses.
      Please let me know your thoughts!
      Best,
      Cade P.
    • By Erose
      Hello all!
      I am sure there are already several similar topics already on here, but I am struggling to find them. I am wondering if anyone has compiled a list of schools that do or do not accept online anatomy and physiology courses if taken during quarantine. I have checked the websites of several schools that make no statements on how their prereq requirements have been altered in response to the pandemic. If anyone has any recommendations I would be very grateful.
      Thank you!!
    • By lilyclare
      Hello. To begin, I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I could not find the information I needed for my situation. Google results articles are incredibly vague so hopefully speaking to people will be better for me!
      I am an undergraduate pre-PA student. I am interested in going through the military for PA school. I do not have any military involvement at this point in time. Do they train people with a bachelor's degree, is it paid for, how many years of service will I be committed to? The little information I could find online leads me to believe they only train people who are already in service, but I've been told otherwise by people who kind of know what they are talking about, kind of not. Any answers to the questions above or any related questions I might have forgotten would be greatly appreciated! 
    • By Lidia86
      Hello everyone. I would like to hear your opinions on online lab classes due to the Covid-19 situation right now. So I’m enrolled in general chemistry with an online lab, and I am contemplating on dropping the class because I’m afraid schools won’t accept it. (Also waist of time and money) Thanks for your opinions. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More