Thoughts on LOR (educational vs. clinical, etc.)

Hello friends,

I guess a little bit of background before I launch into my questions.

In 2010 I graduated from a larger Calif. university with my BS in Human Biology. Since then I have been a part-time student at one of the local community colleges taking 1-3 classes per semester to finish off my last pre-req but also classes to try to make myself a more competitive applicant (patho, pharmacology, etc.)

In early 2011, I started an internship program at two regional hospitals, rotating through various departments every three months with a 48-hour minimum commitment for each rotation. At this point, I have done rotated through Med/Surg, Ortho/Neuro, ICU (x2) and am now in the ER.

In mid 2011, I started working full-time as an ER Tech at a different hospital and continue to do so. We have 2 PAs that work in our ER that I am lucky enough to be able to work with 3 days a week.

My question is this: since CASPA requires 3 and only 3 letters of recommendation, I am unsure as to who to approach about potentially writing a letter for me. Surely admission committees would like to see LOR from a variety of sources (educational, clinical, volunteer?) but who do you think carry the most weight? One of my professors that I took Med Term, Patho and Pharmacology with said that she would write one for me. My internship program says that they will write one for you when you graduate from the program. One of the ER MDs that I work with mentioned that he would be willing to write one for me as well. Obviously a letter from a PA would be very beneficial (if not required) but whose letter would I replace that one with? I don't want to go overboard and bombard everyone familiar with me in a clinical sense (ER MDs, PAs, RNs, ER director) since I would then not be able to include other, equally important sources.

Sorry for being so long-winded and rambling but any input is truly appreciated. Gosh darn this application process is stressful haha.

Thank you all,

DSP

From my understanding, preference of clinical vs education vs volunteer will vary from program to program, but I would think clinical trumps education, which would trump volunteer. I would go with two clinical, one educational; as long as these references can write you decent letters and really do know you, your goals and quality of work.

Im a little confused, I thought that CASPA had to have one from an professor, one from a supervisor, and one from a (recommended) PA. So, thats what I thought was a must have. Otherwise if I'm wrong, and to give my opinion, I think that that the clinical LOR from the person that would write you the best recommendation is a good choice, then asking a professor that would write you a good LOR and same for a supervisor you worked with. So, covering all grounds of what someone would want on an Ad Com. They will see that PA thinks you'd make a great PA, they'd see that your a good/hard worker, and that your professor would state what a great student you are.

I don't know if I'm missing something, but theres my two cents.

Im a little confused, I thought that CASPA had to have one from an professor, one from a supervisor, and one from a (recommended) PA. So, thats what I thought was a must have. Otherwise if I'm wrong, and to give my opinion, I think that that the clinical LOR from the person that would write you the best recommendation is a good choice, then asking a professor that would write you a good LOR and same for a supervisor you worked with. So, covering all grounds of what someone would want on an Ad Com. They will see that PA thinks you'd make a great PA, they'd see that your a good/hard worker, and that your professor would state what a great student you are.

I don't know if I'm missing something, but theres my two cents.

I purged the caspa experience from my memory the moment I was accepted to PA school over a year ago but I do recall getting my letters from 1. an ER doc that I worked with 2. A family practice PA whom I am friends with and have a sound clinical relationship with 3. a woman's health PA whom I am personal friends with and have both clinical and personal relations with. Worked just fine.

to the OP...go with who knows you the best in a clinical setting. Their letter can prove that you are performing at a level that will transition best into actual practice. Application of knowledge is the best indicator for aptitude.

I would go with at least one clinical and one educational. The third could be from anywhere. My advice on letters is to go with the people who know you the best, and that you have the best relationship with. Someone who knows you well will write a better letter than someone who does not (but may have more credentials behind their name). I had the same problem you have; it was hard for me to decide who to ask since I had more than three options. I ended up going with my favorite professor (who incedentally teaches philiosophy), my supervisor from the hospital where I worked (who I had known for three years), and a doctor I had a very good working relationship with at the same hospital. (I got accepted to my program of choice last month)

I would go with at least one clinical and one educational. The third could be from anywhere. My advice on letters is to go with the people who know you the best, and that you have the best relationship with. Someone who knows you well will write a better letter than someone who does not (but may have more credentials behind their name). I had the same problem you have; it was hard for me to decide who to ask since I had more than three options. I ended up going with my favorite professor (who incedentally teaches philiosophy), my supervisor from the hospital where I worked (who I had known for three years), and a doctor I had a very good working relationship with at the same hospital. (I got accepted to my program of choice last month)

Archived