Accepted into PA Program and realizing one of my prereqs doesn't count - Freaking out!!

Hi everyone! 

I'm really hoping someone on here can ease my anxiety right now because I am really freaking out. I have recently been accepted into a really great PA program that I am in love with and can't wait to attend. Earlier today I received an email stating that they would start verifying the prerequisites of all the admitted students to make sure that they meet the requirements of the program [including that all science courses with labs are taken in person, they are intended for science majors (not allied health, health science, or nursing majors), all prerequisite courses received a letter grade (no AP credit on transcript for prerequisites), they are not expired, ect.]. I don't know why the heck I am just now realizing this (literally hate myself so much right now for being so negligent), but the microbiology course I took was not intended for science majors and was instead for the health sciences. This does not and will not fulfill the prerequisite I need for Microbiology. I am hoping and praying that maybe they will perhaps skim it over and not notice? The program matriculates this summer and so it is too late at this point for me to register and take the correct microbiology class. Luckily, if I do have to give up my seat in this program due to this careless mistake, I have also been accepted into another PA program that will count my class and so it will not be an issue. But I am absolutely in love with the program I decided to attend and am just really really freaking out right now. Does anyone think that there is a chance the admissions committee won't notice that it's the incorrect microbio class? Has anyone experienced something similar to this before? Thank in advance for any questions answered and advice given.

2 minutes ago, LadyNichiavelli said:

I'm sure the school must've noticed this before inviting you to interview. Does the website explicitly say that your class wouldn't count?

The website says, "Science courses taken must be designated for science majors.". The Microbio course I took was not designated for science majors and was instead for health sciences. I thought the same thing, that they would have reviewed my prereqs before offering me an interview and a seat in the class, but now I'm not sure. Really worried about this

9 minutes ago, BearDown said:

To offer admittance and not check your classes beforehand....

huge red flag IMO.

The program is ranked in the top 15 of PA programs in the US. It is a fantastic program, but I completely agree with you. I am unsure how this is even an issue I am facing because I should have been notified from the beginning that my course did not meet requirements. Not sure why they are verifying courses now, and didn't do so before offering interviews. Regardless, I love the program and am worrying a lot right now. Hoping that they just skim over the prereqs and don't really notice my course is not intended for science majors 

3 hours ago, UGoLong said:

I'm guessing that either (1) for health science majors is good enough (it's a "science major" after all) or (2), they don't check that carefully.

I think you have a 95+% chance of going there and there being no problems.

That makes me feel a little more relieved. Still very nervous because I feel like a transcript review should have been done before offering interviews/admissions instead of after. Because they’re for some reason doing it after, I’m feeling a little uneasy about it. Hopefully it will all work out but I can’t help but worry 

Unpopular opinion:  the onus for knowing you didn't meet the requirements was on you from the beginning.  Don't go blaming the program.

That said, maybe because you did get interviewed you're fine.  Perhaps the reviewing they are doing currently is to make sure those that have courses in progress will have them completed in time.

If it were me I'd contact the program first asking for clarification.  IF they are going to reject you, better to find out now so you can make plans for the other program.  Time to be an adult and do the right thing even it may not be what you want.

54 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Unpopular opinion:  the onus for knowing you didn't meet the requirements was on you from the beginning.  Don't go blaming the program.

That said, maybe because you did get interviewed you're fine.  Perhaps the reviewing they are doing currently is to make sure those that have courses in progress will have them completed in time.

If it were me I'd contact the program first asking for clarification.  IF they are going to reject you, better to find out now so you can make plans for the other program.  Time to be an adult and do the right thing even it may not be what you want.

I am not trying to blame the program. I fully understand this is completely my fault and falls on no one but myself. Believe me when I say that I have been beating myself up all day because of such a careless mistake that there is truly no excuse for. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it. @UGoLong‘s advice of keeping quiet and hoping for the best sounds pretty good as well. I’m conflicted but will sleep on it and hopefully will come to a decision on what to do in the morning.

I would definitely call your program and see what can be done. Maybe you can submit a syllabus from your class and see if they can accept it based on the topics covered? The program obviously wants you if they accepted you. When does the program start? Is there any way you could fit in a diff microbio before classes start? It's hard not to freak out, but keep in mind the program chose YOU out of all the applicants so they really like you - just try calling and see what can be done as soon as you're able to.

9 hours ago, UGoLong said:

The last thing I’d do is call the program! Cast your fate to the wind and don’t make waves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feels too dishonest for me.  If you give a patient the wrong medication you don't just twiddle your thumbs and see what happens or wait for them to react; you let someone know of the mistake ASAP.  Obviously this isn't life or death but the underlying principles are present.  Own your situation.

3 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Feels too dishonest for me.  If you give a patient the wrong medication you don't just twiddle your thumbs and see what happens or wait for them to react; you let someone know of the mistake ASAP.  Obviously this isn't life or death but the underlying principles are present.  Own your situation.

I appreciate your thoughts. Here's my reasoning:

You are responsible for telling the truth, which the applicant apparently did. You are NOT responsible for the admission committee doing its thing. We don't know if they realized his class was for "health science" majors or "science" majors; that's their responsibility. You apply and be honest; they assess and make decisions.

It is nothing at all like hiding having written the wrong prescription. It's more like feeling that we need to go to the pharmacy with the patient to make sure the pharmacist filled it properly (which we clearly don't do).

A lot of us would be happier in life if we realized what we were responsible for and what we aren't.

trivial at best, i would wait and see, If it is only one class, than it should not be a problem. You should be exposed to plenty of microbiology while in your program.

On 2/26/2018 at 2:44 PM, UGoLong said:

I'm guessing that either (1) for health science majors is good enough (it's a "science major" after all) or (2), they don't check that carefully.

I think you have a 95+% chance of going there and there being no problems.

Agreed, and I wouldn't be scared.  I was notified mid interview that my degree was unferified WOAH WHAT.  The director of my program told me it was no big deal and that I woudlnt have been at the interview if I wasn't qualified.

I guess what I'm saying is, you must be very qualified already and they either noticed or didnt and dont care.

don't worry.

Archived