My fellow PAs I wanted your opinion or experience with contracts. I was offered a position in Outpatient Internal Medicine working for a private physician . I have over two years experience in Urgent Care and Occupational Medicine. The salary is $110,000, no health insurance I would be under my husbands plan, $500 for CME, 3 weeks paid vacation plus holidays, no mention of sick/personal days. The hours are Monday to Friday 8-5 pm this includes 1 hour lunch that is not paid and every third Saturday 8-12. There is 401k plan and malpractice coverage.

What are your thoughts? I am concerned on the schedule since it will be more than 40 hours per week on average that I am expected to be in the office. And there is no mention of personal days plus the CME $$ I also feel is very low. 

Common practice to just have one bank of days off to cover vacation and "personal days".  3 weeks isn't bad.  The CME allowance is awful.  Especially, if you have to cover licensure/certification/DEA with that money too.  The salary really isn't that bad depending on how many patients you are expected to see.  The schedule seems very straightforward.  A lot of the working population doesn't get a paid lunch and have a work day that is 9 hours long, but only get paid for 8 hours.  You don't need to stay in the office during an unpaid lunch and that is your time.  So long as you don't find yourself returning patient calls, doing refills, and charting during this unpaid time.  I would consider asking for additional pay for the every third Saturday or to have shorter office hours the Friday prior to even it out. 

Most places these days just have PTO rather than separate sick and vacation schedules. Never sick? yea! You have more time for vacation.

That CME is way low. Yes there are tons of cheap and even free CMEs but I'd want some days and enough money to let me go somewhere and network and hob-nob with my colleagues.

If you have lots of patient call backs, refills etc I'd want to carve out some admin time...how much would depend on the burden,

CME too low, shoot for at least a couple grand (especially if that included your license, DEA, etc). Also, I would think 20 days (4 weeks) vacation should be the minimum you should take. And try to wrangle some admin time built in the schedule somewhere, I know at my job I get one slot morning and afternoon for admin time to catch up on labs, callbacks, charting, and such. 

Archived