New Grad Neurology Contract Negotiation Advice

Just received a contract for a neurology position and was looking for advice on negotiating. For reference, I am a new grad PA in Chicago suburbs, the position is in outpatient and inpatient neurology working 40 hours a week and weekend call, working for a small private group.

Current contract offer: $80,000 per year, no mention of quarterly bonuses
1 weekend of call per month
12 days of vacation
3 days of combined sick time AND CME days total for the year
No CME allowance
Non-compete clause of 5 mile radius from offices
No 401K
Malpractice insurance provided by employer
No insurance benefits as I am still young enough to be under my parent's insurance for the next year (I am okay with this for the first year)

My current thoughts on negotiation:
$90,000 per year salary
15 days vacation
8 days of combined sick time and CME days
$1,500 CME allowance
Removal of non-compete clause if possible
Clearer call requirements - I would want no call for first 6 months of employment and no more than 1:4 call in writing

I am contemplating saying I would purchase my own malpractice insurance through the AAPA for the first year as they have a new grad rate of $300 for the first year if he still isn't willing to budge on things.

Any thoughts from those that have gone through this before? Thank you in advance!!

That initial offer is pretty horrendous. Your counter is on par with a decent offer.

Don't offer to pay for your own malpractice. Rates will only go up the longer you practice. Malpractice should be something paid for by the practice. Also, fight for that do-not-compete clause to be removed. In a metropolitan area, that can significantly hinder your next step.

Archived