New Grad - Bargain Power w/ additional Graduate Degrees

I have a prior MS in Exercise Physiology (research emphasis) and then completed a dual degree PA program getting a MS in Management w/ the School of Business before starting the MMS for PA. The extra degrees will certainly be resume builders, but how much should I expect to use them for negotiating starting salaries? Should I expect a higher starting offer due to them or is that naive? Starting to have discussions with some practices and was hoping to get some ideas on the value those provide before it moves towards contract talks. I don't want to sell myself short, but don't want to come off as pompous and overvalue myself either! 

I would be interested in either Ortho/Sports Med or Cardiology  

Looking in NC. Currently in Winston-Salem, NC at Wake Forest University

Appreciate the insight anyone can provide!

Your additional degrees certainly makes you more marketable compared to other new grads.  However, unless you can use those degrees to create income for the employer beyond what other new grads could bring in, it may be difficult to justify a higher salary.  I suppose that depends on the job you are looking at.  If you can prove your worth you would have more leverage in negotiating.  It may take some creative marketing on your part.

I was able to use an MPH to negotiate up but I work in a field very heavy in clinic trials so it was very relevant.  

If it's not relevant, you shouldn't expect anything.  Management degree could help in the future if you wanted a more supervisory/lead role and THEN you might be able to use it for negotiating, but not for a clinical position.

• 2 months later...

I think that having an MA in clinical psych will certainly make you stand out over another new grad PA without one.  Not sure about the curriculum in your MA program, but if it gave you a thorough understanding in the diagnosis of mental health disorders and psychopharmacology, then I think it could be considered as having experience even though you will be a new grad PA.  When I worked in outpatient psych I handled hiring new providers.  I would have have looked at you as being a better candidate over a new grad and would consider that with pay as well.  

On 1/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, DizzyJ said:

I think that having an MA in clinical psych will certainly make you stand out over another new grad PA without one.  Not sure about the curriculum in your MA program, but if it gave you a thorough understanding in the diagnosis of mental health disorders and psychopharmacology, then I think it could be considered as having experience even though you will be a new grad PA.  When I worked in outpatient psych I handled hiring new providers.  I would have have looked at you as being a better candidate over a new grad and would consider that with pay as well.  

DizzyJ, I know I was kind of looking for validation here but I really appreciate your very relevant reply.  I'd like to think my education and 5+ years working in inpatient psychiatry / outpatient mental health might give me some help in getting started in the role.  Regardless, I think your response will help me get an early start on applications during clinical year.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Gemeinschaftsgefuhl said:

DizzyJ, I know I was kind of looking for validation here but I really appreciate your very relevant reply.  I'd like to think my education and 5+ years working in inpatient psychiatry / outpatient mental health might give me some help in getting started in the role.  Regardless, I think your response will help me get an early start on applications during clinical year.

Thanks!

You are very welcome!  Good luck.