Neurology Contract - Termination

Hi everyone, I have a dilemma. I am a new grad struggling to get a job. I have been offered a neurology, 0.6 FTE, nights position. I interviewed for a full time days position but this was given to someone with experience. This is far from ideal but the hospital told me after 1 year I can qualify to go full time. I may take it as I need to start working and neurology is my top interest. I have a copy of the contract and I don't understand their termination policy. It requires 180 days notice, which is ridiculous, but this is a huge hospital system and they will not budge on any aspect of their contracts. I have included the contract text and want your opinions. What happens if I give less notice? I have no idea how I would line up a second job while giving 180 days notice.

"Term and Termination. 

(a) Term. Unless earlier terminated in accordance with Subsections 2(b)-(d), this Agreement and Provider's employment shall have an initial term of one (1) year commencing on this ___, 2018, and shall automatically renew for additional consecutive terms of one (1) year. 

(b) Termination by either party. Either party may terminate this Agreement as follows: 

(i) By providing at least 180 days prior written notice to the other party. Under this subsection, the Hospital may elect to pay Provider the compensation due him/her during the 180-day notice period in lieu of Provider actually performing work during the notice period, or 

(ii) If the other party breaches any material term of the Agreement and fails to cure such breach within 30 days after receipt of written notice of the alleged breach, then the non-breaching may terminate the agreement. 

Nothing in what you posted talks about what happens if you give less notice.  Either comb through the rest of the contract or take it to a lawyer.

In theory, maybe nothing happens.  Maybe they take you to court and MAKE you work.  Maybe they require you pay back any bonuses/signing/relocation/etc.  Too many options to say what might happen.

Archived