Program Ranking - How important for employment?

Not at all important unless you want to work at somewhere like the Mayo Clinic it could look good on a CV, or if you want to do a residency, they may look at that but may not, I think they’re more interested in your performance in school and PANCE score.

my program didn’t participate in the rankings so mine isn’t even ranked and the only thing employers/potential employers have looked at is if I passed PANCE and was currently certified or eligible to sit for the PANCE (I was hired for my first job before I even took it). 

What "rank" are you talking about? Are you referring to US News and World Reports rankings? Outside the PA world nobody knows about those rankings. Inside the PA world everybody but pre-PAs has complete contempt for them. We seriously need to put a sticky in the pre-PA forum about why those rankings are a joke that should be ignored.

17 minutes ago, Maynard said:

What "rank" are you talking about? Are you referring to US News and World Reports rankings? Outside the PA world nobody knows about those rankings. Inside the PA world everybody but pre-PAs has complete contempt for them. We seriously need to put a sticky in the pre-PA forum about why those rankings are a joke that should be ignored.

Wow, I feel pretty stupid for weighing in the ranking system so heavily. This is good to hear- thanks for the insight! I knew to weigh in the school's accreditation first, then PANCE pass rates, but then I generally would look at "rank"... interesting to know PAs don't consider these a real metric. 

Yeah, it's a bit of a joke.  I recently saw a complete takedown of one of the top programs by a current student (with the student's real name and everything; maybe not very smart).  There was some normal whining, but some of the stuff was hard to even believe.  I would be considering walking out.

I went to an expensive private school in the top third of those rankings, and it was frankly quite bad.  They've got really serious problems.

Whither out of that mess?  What should you look at?  It's all about trying to talk to current students, and your own gut feel, and some luck.  You may be way off in your impression but once you get there you're stuck, so at that point, relax and get through.  

Overall, do your best, try not to worry about it.  

Sorry...I kinda missed the point of your question...oh well.

56 minutes ago, rosiepoo_unowho said:

Wow, I feel pretty stupid for weighing in the ranking system so heavily. This is good to hear- thanks for the insight! I knew to weigh in the school's accreditation first, then PANCE pass rates, but then I generally would look at "rank"... interesting to know PAs don't consider these a real metric. 

No need to feel stupid, but as a future provider do get into the habit of critically analyzing data like this. Look into how they come up with those rankings and you'll see why everyone who knows anything regards them as nothing.

I didn't even consider ranking when I applied. I applied to programs that had a solid mission, had a well known name with grads that represent the program well. To be honest, I probably would have accepted anywhere. The truth is, you can be the best PA in the world and have gone to the worst 'ranked' program in the country. As long as you work hard, care about what you are doing, and realize it is about the patient, it won't matter where you went to school. It is just a matter of opportunity when it comes to the program itself. Some programs will set you up with excellent rotations, some will set you up with excellent professors, etc etc. What really matters is what you put in and what you take out from whatever program you go to. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would posit that it is probably the same as any other profession. Name recognition is never a bad thing, but carries little weight on its own. It might bump you up a few pegs on the list of applicants but is neither a deal-maker nor a deal-breaker. 

Further, it depends on location, some smaller schools have very good reputations in their region or state (even preferential over nationally recognized institutions), but are not well known outside of them. 

And finally, from graduates I've spoken to and all the market research I've found, it appears we are very well situated in a profession with rapidly increasing demand. Most graduates have their pick of several agreeable job opportunities.

In contrast, my brother has a PhD in physics and has been 1 of 100 or more applicants for individual positions. It took 3 years of searching (internationally) and countless interviews, despite Ivy League undergrad and grad school alma maters, to land a tenure track position and get out of post-doc work. 

22 hours ago, Anachronist said:

I would posit that it is probably the same as any other profession. Name recognition is never a bad thing, but carries little weight on its own. It might bump you up a few pegs on the list of applicants but is neither a deal-maker nor a deal-breaker. 

Further, it depends on location, some smaller schools have very good reputations in their region or state (even preferential over nationally recognized institutions), but are not well known outside of them. 

And finally, from graduates I've spoken to and all the market research I've found, it appears we are very well situated in a profession with rapidly increasing demand. Most graduates have their pick of several agreeable job opportunities.

In contrast, my brother has a PhD in physics and has been 1 of 100 or more applicants for individual positions. It took 3 years of searching (internationally) and countless interviews, despite Ivy League undergrad and grad school alma maters, to land a tenure track position and get out of post-doc work. 

This was super insightful, thank you so much. I am excited about the school I've been accepted to based on the program's success, the faculty, and the location. I know it isn't a super well known school, but as you've said, I hope the name isn't the only item my employer is looking at.

Archived