Hi, I am a third year pa student & graduate in May 2020 (3 more months!) I just got my first job offer, which also happens to be my dream job, and I’m very excited about it. I want to share the good news with family and friends on social media, but I want to do it tastefully and with proper etiquette. What is safe/not safe to say publicly? 

Definitely savvy to wait until the contract is signed and sealed for an en masse announcement.

I shared news of my first job offer with close friends before everything was set in stone, but i honestly dont understand the purpose of sharing it on social media. I don't know if I'd advise making a formal job announcement on social media as a general practice. Your close friends will know, but having it out there might give you some additional feelings of pressure, and just taking the boards and adjusting to the new job bring pressure enough. I would worry about feeling pitted in the decision because I announced it on social media.

True life example... i thought my new grad job offer was absolutely perfect and dreamy. 2 weeks in a started to notice discrepancies and have some concerns regarding the length of my training/onboarding being inappropriately brief. To the point i was coming home every night l, making lists of next steps, applying for other jobs, even willing to walk away from a pretty significant sign-on bonus. If i had the pressure of people on social media constantly hounding me, "hows that new, PERFECT job going?" I would feel guilty and it would add a whole new level of rationalization to the already complex and nuanced decision-making process.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.... that's just my two cents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Wait till you get the job then, here's a novel idea, call your family. They would probably love to hear your voice.. Or tell them at graduation in person!

I agree with the above that minimizing your social media footprint as a medical provider can avoid many possible problems. I joined FB only to interact with my classmates because it was recommended by the majority of the class. I left FB after a few months on my first job (physiatry and pain management) because I saw it as a potential professional and perhaps a legal Hazzard. Have not been on it since (almost 10 years) and I don't feel I missed out on anything. To this day I don't even tell my patients what city I live in. When asked I give a general area or say "near (some nearby town)." I have learned that, for me, keeping my personal life separate from my professional life makes thing nice and neat [emoji4].

I would definitely curb your enthusiasm until you are actually starting the job as a PA-C. I was promised a job from a previous mentor and employer in internal medicine/HIV. I was so sure I would have this job after graduation (remember I said my first job was in Physiatry?) well my mentor passed away at the end of didactic/beginning of clinical year. Not only was a very important person in my life gone, I had to scramble to find a new IM rotation in December before clinical year started January. Things happen out of our control...

Old addage about counting chickens applies... Just food for thought

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You are proud of your accomplishment, and you should be.  A couple of points that have been made above:

a.  Keep your professional life and personal life separate.  Draw the line and do not cross that boundary.  All the information you post online is now able to be found.  In a year or so, read some of your yelp reviews, and you’ll understand why.  Patients ask me personal information all the time, and I make up most of my answers.  They don’t need to know where I grew up or where I live or if I’m married.  

b. Your job is not your career.  Statistically you’ll be leaving your first job in a year or so.  In fact, one could argue that if you found the perfect job, you’re not living.  A job is where you trade services for money.  Hopefully you will never wake up one day and find out you just spent your life trying to adjust a1cs in someone who could care less, or comes back in a month later having done nothing you asked but upset it didn’t work.  

c.  Aside from the creeps, I’d also be wary of acquaintances coming in just to see you.  Nothing more awkward than to see your brothers girlfriend for std testing.  

Welp, that’s all I got.  Good job making it this far.  

• Like 2