Academic Probation & Hiring Process

I was put on probation because one of my attendings lied on the review causing me to fail the rotation...honestly don't even know why.  I had to redo the rotation...

Later, I actually received a letter from him apologizing.  I have never struggled to find a job, therefore as far as I am aware it has never effected my employability.  I have never been asked about it either.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

I was put on probation because one of my attendings lied on the review causing me to fail the rotation...honestly don't even know why.  I had to redo the rotation...

Later, I actually received a letter from him apologizing.  I have never struggled to find a job, therefore as far as I am aware it has never effected my employability.  I have never been asked about it either.

Thank you for your response!

I have been told otherwise by a friend - that when you have academic probation, it goes on your record. My friend told me that it makes it more difficult to get hospital privileges if you plan on working internal medicine, ER, surgery, etc. 

Do you happen to know if it does go on your record? And if so, does it actually affect your ability to work at a hospital (attaining hospital privileges, etc.)?

• Administrator

Pacific was very specific about what did and did not go on your permanent record. It seemed nitpicking to me at the time, but they wanted to be able to have the maximum amount of corrective latitude, but graduate you without any permanent 'black marks' on your record if you overcame those deficiencies.

1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

I've had hospital privileges at two separate jobs (including current) without issue.  No idea if it goes on your record, but again hasn't effected me in the slightest and no one has ever asked about it.

If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been practicing for? And in what state?

I’m just wondering if your current experience (for example, if you’ve already been working for decades) trumps your academic issues.

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, rev ronin said:

Pacific was very specific about what did and did not go on your permanent record. It seemed nitpicking to me at the time, but they wanted to be able to have the maximum amount of corrective latitude, but graduate you without any permanent 'black marks' on your record if you overcame those deficiencies.

I am not sure all schools give out those specifics, I am glad that Pacific does! 

If you don’t mind me asking, do you recall what those specifics were?

Thanks!

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Pastlurker said:

If you don’t mind me asking, do you recall what those specifics were?

I don't, and it's been seven years since I graduated, but there were multiple levels of informal and formal counseling, which were specified as "not disciplinary" and destroyed upon graduation.  There were indeed levels of unprofessional conduct that would have resulted in permanent record, I believe, but I don't recall specifics.

2 hours ago, Pastlurker said:

If you don’t mind me asking, how long have you been practicing for? And in what state?

I’m just wondering if your current experience (for example, if you’ve already been working for decades) trumps your academic issues.

Thank you!

You have asked the same question multiple times, just different ways.  But, I've been out of school for approximately 3 years.  I have worked in multiple different states.  The "issue" didn't come up at my first job, and hasn't since then.

You are focusing on the wrong thing.  I can only assume that you are a PA student and that you have been placed on academic probation.  Stop being concerned about your future employment, and instead focus on why you were placed on probation and how do you get off.  Because, if you are dismissed from your program (and being on probation means that you are at risk) then your potential to be an employed PA is ZERO.  So focus on your schoolwork now and employment later.

• Upvote 1