Yale online program

Guest HanSolo

I'm curious to see how long it takes until other programs go online, too. I wonder how are they plan on doing anatomy, sim labs, or any sort of skills training. 

I agree, not a fan of online grad school. I always thought it separated us (in a good way) from NP programs to not be online. Some of the nurses I work with are currently doing online NP programs and so I have some familiarity with them and feel they are nothing compared to what I went through in my PA program. They also have to set up all of their own rotations. One of them is being allowed to count a family med practice as her pediatric rotation and a midwife as her women’s health (not going to any deliveries, surgeries, etc). I sincerely hope this is not the direction PA programs are heading.

I wish this wasn't happening, but there are some key portions that are still on-campus.  Certainly, there are some courses that can be taken online without any issue with lack of face-to-face interaction.  We have all sat through a lecture, bored out of our minds, wishing we were able to be home in bed reading the lecture alone. 

I see they have "on-campus immersions".  There is one immersion each semester for first three semesters.  The immersions are 5 full days on-campus with open lab.  Anatomy lab is on-campus with instructor.  Also, they have a simulation lab on-campus.  Some of the lectures will be live/virtual.  I don't think this program fits exactly into what I would define as an online degree program. 

13 hours ago, mmiller3 said:

Is it a Master's completion program, or a fully online program?

It is not a master's completion program.  It is not fully online as there are face-to-face clinical and "on-campus immersions"

Guest HanSolo

Only 5 days per semester? That's a really short time to cram in anatomy plus skills and simulations. I wish the first class the best of luck. I certainly wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for this one. Half of me wants to say, "it's Yale, they probably know what they are doing." The other half of me says, "this is ridiculous." 

New ideas and methods are almost always met with resistance at first. I'll try and be optimistic. Let's give Yale a few years to flush out the kinks in the system and see how it goes. Overall, I don't think this paves the way for new programs to pop up using this format. Rather, I see it as a way for established programs to add an online component. 

30 minutes ago, HanSolo said:

Only 5 days per semester? That's a really short time to cram in anatomy plus skills and simulations. I wish the first class the best of luck. I certainly wouldn't want to be a guinea pig for this one. Half of me wants to say, "it's Yale, they probably know what they are doing." The other half of me says, "this is ridiculous." 

New ideas and methods are almost always met with resistance at first. I'll try and be optimistic. Let's give Yale a few years to flush out the kinks in the system and see how it goes. Overall, I don't think this paves the way for new programs to pop up using this format. Rather, I see it as a way for established programs to add an online component. 

Albeit this is only one person's experience, this redditor's blog made it seem as if the program behind the name isn't all that it's cracked up to be:

https://www.reddit.com/r/prephysicianassistant/comments/752jme/my_first_year_at_the_yale_pa_program/

Anyway, definitely not a fan of this idea, but I'm wishing the best of luck to the first class. It'll be interesting to hear people's experiences.

44 minutes ago, LadyNichiavelli said:

Albeit this is only one person's experience, this redditor's blog made it seem as if the program behind the name isn't all that it's cracked up to be:

https://www.reddit.com/r/prephysicianassistant/comments/752jme/my_first_year_at_the_yale_pa_program/

That was a good read, thanks. True that experiences may vary, but that redditor makes me feel better and fortunate about my program. 

For their topic on "Sex equals gender", interestingly enough Current 2017 updated to include these subjects (trans/bi/non-cis) and we received lectures on it. 

University of Wisconsin has had a Distance Education cohort option since 2001. It's a combination of in person lessons and online coursework. The curriculum is set over three years. The first summer is in residence for anatomy lab, H/P intro, and clinical medicine. We then do two years (part time) of online learning-pathophys/diagnostics/pharmacology, and med micro/women's/ped's/surg second year. Each semester has 4-6 days on campus to do PEs/patient histories/clinical skills labs. The third year is spent with clinical rotations in or near our home towns. The lectures are recorded for review later, or they can be live-streamed with real time question capability. The intention of this set up is to fulfill the need for providers in rural Wisconsin, and allow for students who are tied to their commmnities by family or work commitments to pursue a new degree. It's difficult at times to stay motivated, but this is allowing me a better work/school/family/life balance. I don't feel as though my education is inferior. The success rate is very high, and the program has put out high quality PAs, that tend to do very well on the PANCE and in practice. I'm not sure how Yale's program will work, but not all online options are bad things. Some can actually be very good ;) 

On Wisconsin!

@Nucmed2PA:  On Wisconsin indeed!  I was the first graduate of the Wisconsin Distance Education Program in 2004.  I'm still going strong, passed PANCE first time , and PANRE twice.

It's not a bad thing.   I live and work near my home community serving the underserved, rural and disenfranchised patients where there is a lack of qualified practitioners.  I'm saving lives and performing miracles while I'm at it.  Chuckle. LOL.

Yale will produce a good quality PA. 

This will be successful. Too much time and effort put in for it to fail. Would have occurred sooner but ARC wanted application as separate program and not extension of existing. Brick and mortar programs should take notice, this will take students away. I know several recent students who bemoaned the fact that there is a hidden cost to PA training in travel and lodging that nearly broke them. And for all those complaining of death by PowerPoint, this could only be an improvement, at worst will at least be bored in comfort of your own home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived