Opinions on my stats please?

Hi everyone, I decided to post on this forum because I have been reading through it a lot and people seem to be very helpful! I am planning on submitting my application this week, but I want honest opinions on my stats and my chances based on all of this information: 

Undergrad: Harper College first 2 years, then University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) 

Major: Psychology 

cGPA: ~3.49

sGPA: -3.12

1st GRE: 152V, 152Q, 3.5 writing

2nd GRE: 155V, 149Q, 4.0 writing 

Direct patient care: 1,746 hours as clinical assistant (2 years)

Volunteering:

~300 hours at a behavioral health hospital (still accumulating hours)

~50 hours from mission trip to Peru

Total PCE/HCE: ~2,100 hours

Shadowing: 50+ hours (ER, Behavioral Health, Gastrointestinal Surgery, Urgent Care)

LOR: 

- Chiropractor I had previously worked for

- Neuroscience professor 

- ER/Urgent Care PA

Other info: 

- Deans list x3

- member of Harper College Honors Program 

- member of UIC Honors Program

- recipient of the UIC Honors College Transfer Merit Scholarship in 2015 

- recipient of Harper College academic scholarship in 2014

Schools applying to: Penn State, Carroll, Desales, Duke, George Washington University, Marquette, Midwestern (IL), Northeastern (MA), Clarkson,

Ros. Franklin, Rush University, South University (Tampa), University of New England, University of New Mexico, University of St. Francis, University of Tennessee (Memphis) 

I do not like telling people their chances, because you never know when a program will surprise you!

However, if I were you I would use your first GRE scores and take some post-bacc courses (preferably science) to boost your science GPA. 

Also, what was your job description as a clinical assistant? 

I do not like telling people their chances, because you never know when a program will surprise you!

However, if I were you I would use your first GRE scores and take some post-bacc courses (preferably science) to boost your science GPA. 

Also, what was your job description as a clinical assistant? 

Thanks for your response! Is there any particular reason you think I should use my 1st GRE score? I only sent my gre to two schools so far, but i sent both scores.

Also, here is what I did as a clinical assistant 

·       Performed therapies on patients before and after they meet with chiropractor; therapies included electric muscle stimulation, laser therapy, and Fluidotherapy

·       Performed kinesiology taping on patients (back decompression, ankle support, knee support, fluid drainage, etc.)

·       Educated and informed patients on various therapeutic techniques that may help with their specific injuries

Thanks for your response! Is there any particular reason you think I should use my 1st GRE score? I only sent my gre to two schools so far, but i sent both scores.

Also, here is what I did as a clinical assistant 

·       Performed therapies on patients before and after they meet with chiropractor; therapies included electric muscle stimulation, laser therapy, and Fluidotherapy

·       Performed kinesiology taping on patients (back decompression, ankle support, knee support, fluid drainage, etc.)

·       Educated and informed patients on various therapeutic techniques that may help with their specific injuries

Okay, I was unsure of that position title and wanted to make sure it counted as PCE.

For the GRE, especially since your combined scores are equal, I would choose the one that was above 150 on both sections.

Okay, I was unsure of that position title and wanted to make sure it counted as PCE.

For the GRE, especially since your combined scores are equal, I would choose the one that was above 150 on both sections.

Gotcha.

I do realize my science GPA is fairly low, but I was hoping other aspects of my app could make up for it. I'm pretty confident in my personal statement and LORs, and I figured a mission trip to Peru and a study abroad trip to France would help me stand out. 

I think you have a decent shot if you apply broadly. Did you take a lot of upper level sciences?

Yes I did, the only reason it's so low is because I got a C in gen chem 1 and both Orgo Chems, my science grades are mostly all As other than that. 

Do you think the number of schools I chose is worth it? 

Your science GPA is low and your PCE is average. Do you have an upward trend on your grades? Do you have any type of community service besides the mission trip? Are your shadowing hours with PAs?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is my first time applying so I haven't been able to get any more HCE. I do have an upward trend in my science grades, everything else has pretty much remained at As and Bs. As far as other community service, I volunteered as a cheerleading coach for the youth football team in my town for two years, I also volunteered at the YMCA a couple years back - those experiences are both on my application. 

The ER, urgent care, and surgery are shadowing hours with PAs. The behavioral health hospital was nurse practitioner. 

This is my first time applying so I haven't been able to get any more HCE. I do have an upward trend in my science grades, everything else has pretty much remained at As and Bs. As far as other community service, I volunteered as a cheerleading coach for the youth football team in my town for two years, I also volunteered at the YMCA a couple years back - those experiences are both on my application.

The ER, urgent care, and surgery are shadowing hours with PAs. The behavioral health hospital was nurse practitioner.

I think as long as you apply to programs where you are a competitive applicant (schools that accept students with lower GPAs) then I think you have a shot to get a few interviews. Also, continue to improve your HCE and PCE, take more (retake) science classes, and improve your application in general just in case you don't get accepted.

Also I recommend to apply broadly and to at least 12 schools. Make sure your essay is going to blow the committee away, because that would help your case as well. You should also be prepared to discuss why you have such a low science GPA.

Also I recommend to apply broadly and to at least 12 schools. Make sure your essay is going to blow the committee away, because that would help your case as well. You should also be prepared to discuss why you have such a low science GPA.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! I am applying to a total of 16 programs

Duke and GWU will definitely be 'reach' schools for you.  

Your grades are middle of the road and HCE/PCE is low so it's not a slam dunk app by any means.  Check matriculating student stats or the accepted student stats page here to see what kind of stats get accepted to which programs.  You may need to rethink a few on your list.

Your grades are middle of the road and HCE/PCE is low so it's not a slam dunk app by any means.  Check matriculating student stats or the accepted student stats page here to see what kind of stats get accepted to which programs.  You may need to rethink a few on your list.

I agree that Duke and GWU are top notch programs, but if you have the funds then I don't see why not give it a chance? I have seen several people with excellent stats not even get an interview to Duke yet mediocre people with below average stats get in. You never really know what these programs are looking for sometimes. 

I agree that Duke and GWU are top notch programs, but if you have the funds then I don't see why not give it a chance? I have seen several people with excellent stats not even get an interview to Duke yet mediocre people with below average stats get in. You never really know what these programs are looking for sometimes. 

By all means, if you have the money go for it.  OP asked his/her chances and I was replying to that query.  

Which programs are you recommending I re-think?

Good luck and I hope you follow up on the schools you hear back from! I have a similar GPA (low sGPA due to C in gen chem and orgo 2) so your post is giving me hope! We have invited GW to come speak at the pre-PA society at my school a few times and it is definitely a competitive expensive program, though a lot of PA schools are. (Average cGPA = 3.58, average sGPA = 3.47.) The Director of Academic Operations came to speak and she did note the importance of volunteering too which is a good sign looking at your stats. While their average GPA is on the higher side it is often hard to say how they pick applicants so if you want to go there and price is not a factor go for it! Also a note for GW (and I would assume every PA school), she mentioned in your personal statement that if you refer to a PA as a "Physician's Assistant" instead of Physician Assistant they may not even look at your application, but I assume we all know and appreciate this! (Anyone applying to PA school should know a PA a physician's assistant.)  Also, for GW if it comes to interview they do MMI format. Again, best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Good luck and I hope you follow up on the schools you hear back from! I have a similar GPA (low sGPA due to C in gen chem and orgo 2) so your post is giving me hope! We have invited GW to come speak at the pre-PA society at my school a few times and it is definitely a competitive expensive program, though a lot of PA schools are. (Average cGPA = 3.58, average sGPA = 3.47.) The Director of Academic Operations came to speak and she did note the importance of volunteering too which is a good sign looking at your stats. While their average GPA is on the higher side it is often hard to say how they pick applicants so if you want to go there and price is not a factor go for it! Also a note for GW (and I would assume every PA school), she mentioned in your personal statement that if you refer to a PA as a "Physician's Assistant" instead of Physician Assistant they may not even look at your application, but I assume we all know and appreciate this! (Anyone applying to PA school should know a PA a physician's assistant.) Also, for GW if it comes to interview they do MMI format. Again, best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Thanks so much! That was helpful information (:

Archived