Trying to stay professional while working notice

I gave my SP 45 day's notice, and he offered me his full support in my next endeavor. Things have been cordial between us. I met with him today to review the particulars of my departure.

I had been told by the office manager that it was customary for him to pay out PTO for those who leave on good terms. I asked him about this, and he said he had never done this before. He laughed when I said I had 100 hours accrued. I work in neurosurgery. Every week is an "important" week, and it is difficult to get time off approved by him. I may have started WWIII between him and office manager, but she quit a few weeks ago (with her PTO paid out, BTW).

Of course, I asked to take my vacation time now, then. He said he'd see if he could get a replacement fast enough to let me go early on vacation time. Which meant: Ain't gonna happen.

Other beef is that he has not paid in the 3% match for my 401K in the last year, as written in our handbook. I asked about this, and he acted surprised it hadn't been paid. But I know others have asked him about this, and he just hemmed and hawed. 

Part of me wants to say "Take this job and shove it" because the end is so near. But another part wants to stay professional. I am leaning toward the former, especially after I worked a 21-hour-day yesterday...this morning...what time is it?

Any thoughts from the gallery?

Note to job seekers: remember to consider your last day before your first and get it in writing.

FInish your time.  Complete everything that you are supposed to.  If there is a breach for not paying the PTO or the 401k match you want to be faultless in the eyes of the court if it comes to that.

If possible, catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Stay cordial and professional.

Find the documents on pay out and present them with a formal letter and take it to the new/interim Office Mgr or whomever the head of the practice is - President, CEO, etc.

Being nice doesn't have to mean getting hosed.

If you can't go on vacation then present a bill of sorts. An itemized statement of vacation hours unused with the going rate and put a due date on it. 

Call the 401K COMPANY who manages the fund and find out where your matching is. If the doc or docs are taking the money or showing the money as having been put somewhere but it is not there - that is federal fraud if I am not mistaken.

Be proactive but not necessarily doormat  polite. 

What is in writing is yours - because it is in writing. 

I gave my SP 45 day's notice, and he offered me his full support in my next endeavor. Things have been cordial between us. I met with him today to review the particulars of my departure.

good, keep it that way

I had been told by the office manager that it was customary for him to pay out PTO for those who leave on good terms. I asked him about this, and he said he had never done this before. He laughed when I said I had 100 hours accrued. I work in neurosurgery. Every week is an "important" week, and it is difficult to get time off approved by him. I may have started WWIII between him and office manager, but she quit a few weeks ago (with her PTO paid out, BTW).

this is a state level issue - find out from your state rather vacation must be paid out as an earned benefit or it - if it has to be be paid out then simply remind him of this - if he does not file a complaint with Wage Board - AFTER your done (give him a chance to make it right)

Of course, I asked to take my vacation time now, then. He said he'd see if he could get a replacement fast enough to let me go early on vacation time. Which meant: Ain't gonna happen.

This is not your problem, but he doesn't have to approve any vacation requests.... but sick time, well you might be sick.....  If he owes you the vacation time on separation (the state will answer this for you) then don't worry about it.

Other beef is that he has not paid in the 3% match for my 401K in the last year, as written in our handbook. I asked about this, and he acted surprised it hadn't been paid. But I know others have asked him about this, and he just hemmed and hawed. 

this is a big deal - this is a FEDERAL IRS regulation that he can not change or ignore - talk to the 401K provider on this, and maybe even your own financial firm - I deal with Vanguard and they are always very helpful

Part of me wants to say "Take this job and shove it" because the end is so near. But another part wants to stay professional. I am leaning toward the former, especially after I worked a 21-hour-day yesterday...this morning...what time is it?

Any thoughts from the gallery?

Note to job seekers: remember to consider your last day before your first and get it in writing.

Try to hold your head high, make good decisions, be professional, but DO NOT allow yourself to be taken advantage of.   

Find out the facts before you do anything - ie vacation as an earned benefit - and rather or not they have funded the 401k  -   sometimes people tell you things that are just not true - make sure your source for the answer is truly correct - ie the IRS or the state wage board - that way you are not proved wrong

Following the law and regulations is step #1, then do your very best to do a good job.  Attend work, do a little extra (it is worth it) and then move on.....

• 1 month later...

Update. Thanks to everyone for advising me to keep a level head. It paid off. I tried a second conversation two weeks later with my SP, and it went better. Me showing up and doing my job like nothing happened made it possible. (That, and a few allies speaking on my behalf, helped.) So, thank you. 

He agreed to the PTO, which came out to nearly $5,000. He stood firm on the 401K, though. No one received a contribution. Now that I finally have my PTO check in hand, I'm going to start asking more about the 401K. I am legally due a summary statement describing the plan and how it operates. So that's my next question.

Patience and professionalism. It was good advice to exhaust this avenue first.

I am working out my notice right now too. One more week.

The doc has been a bit testy. He gave me a parting review for my new employer that was contradictory, untrue and a bit childish. The new employer knows me and knows of the office issues and took it all with a teaspoon of salt. I have caught this current office in violation of a ton of regulations and following very poor business habits.

I have no idea if I will get paid for my PTO and don't care at this point - ready to be done.

Final blows - office manager sent a list of patients a Good Bye letter IN MY NAME based on a list of patients that the nursing staff and front desk picked out as problematic - NONE OF MY INPUT. She went so far as to RUBBER STAMP my name on the letters. They constitute abandonment. The doc was only partially aware and when finally back from vacation and looking at the list - he backpedaled. Didn't involve me at all. Chewed out the office manager and UN-fired a bunch of patients. Never apologized for the massive idiocy of sending out letters in my name without my knowledge and using a freaking signature stamp.

I have confiscated all the rubber stamps - so many that I found - FREAKED OUT. NEVER knew my signature had been reproduced that many times. 

So, bad business, bad medicine, no apologies. I have tried to stay on the high road and try to cruise through this last little bit of time. Can't fix this practice - they don't recognize the problem and don't want help.

Deep Sigh

Archived