Shreveport 2017-2018 application cycle

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, pa96 said:

I created a Facebook page already, if you have been accepted you can request to be a member. The name is LSUHSC-Shreveport Physician Assistant Class of 2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering how many total have been accepted....any ideas?

Y'all! 

The wait is killing me!

I know it's a crazy obsessive question, but what time of day did you all get your acceptance emails? I'd think they'd send one batch at the end of each day. If that's the case, I figure I won't have to check my email every five minutes. ???

Joking.... kinda...

Y'all! 
The wait is killing me!
I know it's a crazy obsessive question, but what time of day did you all get your acceptance emails? I'd think they'd send one batch at the end of each day. If that's the case, I figure I won't have to check my email every five minutes. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]
Joking.... kinda...

2:00 pm

13 minutes ago, LexieB said:

Y'all! 

The wait is killing me!

I know it's a crazy obsessive question, but what time of day did you all get your acceptance emails? I'd think they'd send one batch at the end of each day. If that's the case, I figure I won't have to check my email every five minutes. ???

Joking.... kinda...

I got mine at 3 yesterday 

1 hour ago, LexieB said:

Y'all! 

The wait is killing me!

Joking.... kinda...

I feel your pain...I’m still waiting too.

1 hour ago, thatLSUgirl said:

Only 5 people are on the Facebook page so far, so not for sure how many have been accepted so far! 

I already graduated but i am still working on one prerequisite and i got accepted 

I already graduated too, but I was lacking 2 biologies and Med term. After this semester I’m taking one more biology. My mid term grades are great...same as my transcript, so....who knows? Been working in healthcare field for years.

From what I understand, several of the accepted students are repeat applicants--one accepted applicant was successful on the second try and for another, the third try.  Just thought that information was interesting...no guarantees, of course.

For additional context, this is my first application cycle and I was accepted very early. I know of others accepted in their first attempts this year as well for this school.

4 hours ago, pa96 said:

For additional context, this is my first application cycle and I was accepted very early. I know of others accepted in their first attempts this year as well for this school.

Don't you mind sharing what your stats were? 

17 hours ago, Kmm4385 said:

I also got in on the first attempt.

306 GRE

3.6 cumulative and science GPA

~300 Direct PA/NP/MD shadowing hours (+150 directly with PA)

9 months healthcare experience (~750 patient contact hours) 

Also had 1 year experience working with cadavers. 

10 minutes ago, thatLSUgirl said:

306 GRE

I have similar numbers but less patient care Hours. starting to nervous bc I haven't heard anything yet and it seems as though they have selected at least half of the incoming class already!

These were my stats
306 GRE
4.0 GPA
5 months healthcare experience as an ER scribe
150 shadowing hours
1 medical mission trip to a foreign country
Published funded undergrad research spanning 1.5 years
Volunteering at a children’s hospital for 6 months
Extensive history of collegiate higher level involvement at my university

On 11/13/2017 at 5:48 PM, pa96 said:

Getting in on the first attempt is definitely the norm, but I thought it was interesting that some repeat applicants were being admitted.  I know someone who was waitlisted two years ago but didn't even make the waitlist last year (after gaining more experience) so they decided to go to an accelerated nursing program.  

3 hours ago, thatLSUgirl said:

306 GRE

I have similar numbers, but CASPA added in some coursework from when I was 18, fresh out of high school. I filed academic bankruptcy and graduated with a 3.76, but with those grades added in, it dropped me to a 3.54...my GRE was only 302, but I got a 4.5 in writing which I think was good. I have 14 years of healthcare experience with direct patient contact. I’m not sure if they are seeing my overall gpa or if they will take into account the fact that 5 years later I made almost all As with some Bs? I think my application looks pretty good...but I think I might have not done well with the interview. Feeling like a negative Nancy...anyway not sure what to do if I don’t get in. I’m old, I don’t have years to try again. This is what I want to do. Other than retaking the GRE I’m not sure how to improve my application. Any ideas? Obviously I don’t know if I’m getting in this year or not, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. 

Feel free to comment...I will take ideas from anyone!

12 minutes ago, Kupa72 said:

I have similar numbers, but CASPA added in some coursework from when I was 18, fresh out of high school. I filed academic bankruptcy and graduated with a 3.76, but with those grades added in, it dropped me to a 3.54...my GRE was only 302, but I got a 4.5 in writing which I think was good. I have 14 years of healthcare experience with direct patient contact. I’m not sure if they are seeing my overall gpa or if they will take into account the fact that 5 years later I made almost all As with some Bs? I think my application looks pretty good...but I think I might have not done well with the interview. Feeling like a negative Nancy...anyway not sure what to do if I don’t get in. I’m old, I don’t have years to try again. This is what I want to do. Other than retaking the GRE I’m not sure how to improve my application. Any ideas? Obviously I don’t know if I’m getting in this year or not, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed. 

Feel free to comment...I will take ideas from anyone!

Whatever you do, don't give up!!! I know people who are in the current PA class that applied more than once and never gave up, so I don't think there is any set standard of getting in on your first try or not. They definitely look at "grade trends" instead of judging by one mishap or misunderstanding. If you haven't heard yet, its not necessarily a bad thing, because you never know what could happen; in the past, they usually don't finish sending all the invitations out until mid-December so keep your head up! If you feel like this is what you're meant to do, then it will happen one way or the other :)

Now that my motivational rant is over.....

Honestly, overall your stats look good! If it ends up not working out this year (I hope it does!), then retaking the GRE couldn't hurt anything. Also, taking some filler science classes if you have the time/money/energy would be good to just show that you're trying to beef up your application in the interim. Half of the battle is showing them that you're serious about being a part of their program even with a few set backs, and you're willing to apply until they see that. Hope this helps some and good luck to you and everyone else applying! 

Archived