Shreveport 2017-2018 application cycle

24 minutes ago, pa8792 said:

Whatever you do, don't give up!!! I know people who are in the current PA class that applied more than once and never gave up, so I don't think there is any set standard of getting in on your first try or not. They definitely look at "grade trends" instead of judging by one mishap or misunderstanding. If you haven't heard yet, its not necessarily a bad thing, because you never know what could happen; in the past, they usually don't finish sending all the invitations out until mid-December so keep your head up! If you feel like this is what you're meant to do, then it will happen one way or the other :)

Now that my motivational rant is over.....

Honestly, overall your stats look good! If it ends up not working out this year (I hope it does!), then retaking the GRE couldn't hurt anything. Also, taking some filler science classes if you have the time/money/energy would be good to just show that you're trying to beef up your application in the interim. Half of the battle is showing them that you're serious about being a part of their program even with a few set backs, and you're willing to apply until they see that. Hope this helps some and good luck to you and everyone else applying! 

You are really great for giving me encouragement! For some reason today has just been one of those days for me. So I appreciate it. I was thinking about applying again next year if I don’t get in...but who knows? Maybe I’ll hear something soon.

I don’t know if you’ve been accepted or not, but good luck to you too.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you mean to say getting in the first time *is* the norm?

I mean.... I'm sure many people do, but thread after thread seems to indicate that many people attempt to gain admission over multiple cycles. 

But what is REALLY disheartening is hearing the accounts of people who interview one year and get outright rejected the next. 

I think I'm just having a really down day today, too. I guess I'm not a fan of knowing that half the class is already filled and still having to wait for who knows how long. My stomach has been in knots since the dadgum interview.

Trying to be patient, but it's tough!

1 minute ago, LexieB said:

I mean.... I'm sure many people do, but thread after thread seems to indicate that many people attempt to gain admission over multiple cycles. 

But what is REALLY disheartening is hearing the accounts of people who interview one year and get outright rejected the next. 

I think I'm just having a really down day today, too. I guess I'm not a fan of knowing that half the class is already filled and still having to wait for who knows how long. My stomach has been in knots since the dadgum interview.

I know what you mean...I think the wait is the hardest part of this whole process. Especially when you hear that someone got an invitation soon after the interview. I was hoping I would hear something by now...now I feel like every day that passes my chances of getting in are getting smaller. 

Btw It’s a down day for me as well. 

Good luck to both of us!

I would disagree and say getting in on the first attempt is not necessarily the "norm." I was waitlisted last year and accepted this year. I personally know several people this is the case for, including a graduate from this program that wrote one of my LOR this cycle. Getting in on your first attempt is awesome but definitely does not happen for all or even the majority. I personally am thankful for the additional healthcare experience I was able to obtain as I think it will definitely benefit me. So if it takes you more than one try, do not be too discouraged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I interviewed 10/2 and I have not been accepted yet (this is my first year applying) 

• I graduated with a 3.92 GPA Dec 2016
  • 302 GRE
  • 3 years HCE around 4,000+ hours (2 years EKG in the ER, 1 year Clinical Research)
  • 1 public health mission trip to Nicaragua ( I was also the Vice President)
  • Studied abroad in Argentina for 1 month
  • 100 hours shadowing PA/MD 
  • I feel that my interview went great, but not as confident on all the logic tests

I totally agree it has been getting a little disheartening lately. Thankfully we will all know yes or no in one month. 

I know a few people who got in after more than one attempt. So I don’t think assumptions can be made about the first try being the norm. I know this is my second year trying and I’m scared I won’t get in either. Just keep trying! Failure is a part of success. I think in the long run it helps us show how much we truly want to be PAs! 

I definitely think several people are able to get in on their first attempt, but there are also just as many (if not more) that get in after multiple attempts. This was my third year applying, and I was finally accepted. My first year, I interviewed and was waitlisted. Last year, I interviewed and then was rejected. 

My first two years I had a 3.8 GPA and a 298 GRE (I kept getting the same score despite taking it 3 times). No HCE the first year, 160 shadowing hours. The second year, about 500-700 hours HCE. This year, same GPA with a 304 GRE, and about 2,300 hours HCE. 

11 hours ago, kns23 said:

I definitely think several people are able to get in on their first attempt, but there are also just as many (if not more) that get in after multiple attempts. This was my third year applying, and I was finally accepted. My first year, I interviewed and was waitlisted. Last year, I interviewed and then was rejected. 

My first two years I had a 3.8 GPA and a 298 GRE (I kept getting the same score despite taking it 3 times). No HCE the first year, 160 shadowing hours. The second year, about 500-700 hours HCE. This year, same GPA with a 304 GRE, and about 2,300 hours HCE. 

What did you do differently to increase your GRE? I’m in the same boat you were in. I keep getting the same score. 

On 11/14/2017 at 8:57 PM, LexieB said:

I know what you mean...I think the wait is the hardest part of this whole process. Especially when you hear that someone got an invitation soon after the interview. I was hoping I would hear something by now...now I feel like every day that passes my chances of getting in are getting smaller. 

Btw It’s a down day for me as well. 

Good luck to both of us!

5 hours ago, cdowns said:

What did you do differently to increase your GRE? I’m in the same boat you were in. I keep getting the same score. 

I was using Kaplan and Princeton Review but for me personally, it just wasn’t working. I ended up getting the ETS GRE Review book and studied for about 2 hours every day for a month, and it finally went up! 

31 minutes ago, kns23 said:

I was using Kaplan and Princeton Review but for me personally, it just wasn’t working. I ended up getting the ETS GRE Review book and studied for about 2 hours every day for a month, and it finally went up! 

I have both Kaplan and Princeton Review. That’s all I’ve been using! Funny how our situations are so similar. I’ll definitely get the ETS GRE Review book. Thank you so much! 

9 minutes ago, cdowns said:

I have both Kaplan and Princeton Review. That’s all I’ve been using! Funny how our situations are so similar. I’ll definitely get the ETS GRE Review book. Thank you so much! 

You’re welcome! I know it’s insanely frustrating. I took it 4 times total. My first score was a 298, then a 297 and then a 296, so I was freaking out. But once I used the ETS book, it went to a 304. Good luck! 

• 8 months later...
On 11/15/2017 at 10:28 AM, srees said:

I interviewed 10/2 and I have not been accepted yet (this is my first year applying) 

• I graduated with a 3.92 GPA Dec 2016
  • 302 GRE
  • 3 years HCE around 4,000+ hours (2 years EKG in the ER, 1 year Clinical Research)
  • 1 public health mission trip to Nicaragua ( I was also the Vice President)
  • Studied abroad in Argentina for 1 month
  • 100 hours shadowing PA/MD 
  • I feel that my interview went great, but not as confident on all the logic tests

I totally agree it has been getting a little disheartening lately. Thankfully we will all know yes or no in one month. 

Hello @srees. What are logic tests?

Archived