Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, pa8792 said:

Whatever you do, don't give up!!! I know people who are in the current PA class that applied more than once and never gave up, so I don't think there is any set standard of getting in on your first try or not. They definitely look at "grade trends" instead of judging by one mishap or misunderstanding. If you haven't heard yet, its not necessarily a bad thing, because you never know what could happen; in the past, they usually don't finish sending all the invitations out until mid-December so keep your head up! If you feel like this is what you're meant to do, then it will happen one way or the other :)

Now that my motivational rant is over.....

Honestly, overall your stats look good! If it ends up not working out this year (I hope it does!), then retaking the GRE couldn't hurt anything. Also, taking some filler science classes if you have the time/money/energy would be good to just show that you're trying to beef up your application in the interim. Half of the battle is showing them that you're serious about being a part of their program even with a few set backs, and you're willing to apply until they see that. Hope this helps some and good luck to you and everyone else applying! 

You are really great for giving me encouragement! For some reason today has just been one of those days for me. So I appreciate it. I was thinking about applying again next year if I don’t get in...but who knows? Maybe I’ll hear something soon.

I don’t know if you’ve been accepted or not, but good luck to you too.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you mean to say getting in the first time *is* the norm?

I mean.... I'm sure many people do, but thread after thread seems to indicate that many people attempt to gain admission over multiple cycles. 

 

But what is REALLY disheartening is hearing the accounts of people who interview one year and get outright rejected the next. 

 

I think I'm just having a really down day today, too. I guess I'm not a fan of knowing that half the class is already filled and still having to wait for who knows how long. My stomach has been in knots since the dadgum interview.

Trying to be patient, but it's tough!

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LexieB said:

Did you mean to say getting in the first time *is* the norm?

I mean.... I'm sure many people do, but thread after thread seems to indicate that many people attempt to gain admission over multiple cycles. 

 

But what is REALLY disheartening is hearing the accounts of people who interview one year and get outright rejected the next. 

 

I think I'm just having a really down day today, too. I guess I'm not a fan of knowing that half the class is already filled and still having to wait for who knows how long. My stomach has been in knots since the dadgum interview.

Trying to be patient, but it's tough!

 

 

 

 

I know what you mean...I think the wait is the hardest part of this whole process. Especially when you hear that someone got an invitation soon after the interview. I was hoping I would hear something by now...now I feel like every day that passes my chances of getting in are getting smaller. 

Btw It’s a down day for me as well. 

Good luck to both of us!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would disagree and say getting in on the first attempt is not necessarily the "norm." I was waitlisted last year and accepted this year. I personally know several people this is the case for, including a graduate from this program that wrote one of my LOR this cycle. Getting in on your first attempt is awesome but definitely does not happen for all or even the majority. I personally am thankful for the additional healthcare experience I was able to obtain as I think it will definitely benefit me. So if it takes you more than one try, do not be too discouraged.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I interviewed 10/2 and I have not been accepted yet (this is my first year applying) 

  • I graduated with a 3.92 GPA Dec 2016
  • 302 GRE
  • 3 years HCE around 4,000+ hours (2 years EKG in the ER, 1 year Clinical Research)
  • 1 public health mission trip to Nicaragua ( I was also the Vice President)
  • Studied abroad in Argentina for 1 month
  • 100 hours shadowing PA/MD 
  • I feel that my interview went great, but not as confident on all the logic tests

I totally agree it has been getting a little disheartening lately. Thankfully we will all know yes or no in one month. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a few people who got in after more than one attempt. So I don’t think assumptions can be made about the first try being the norm. I know this is my second year trying and I’m scared I won’t get in either. Just keep trying! Failure is a part of success. I think in the long run it helps us show how much we truly want to be PAs! 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say getting in after a few attempts is the norm. A good number of PAs I know of got in after a second attempt. This is my second attempt myself and I got accepted this time around. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ch8490 said:

I would say getting in after a few attempts is the norm. A good number of PAs I know of got in after a second attempt. This is my second attempt myself and I got accepted this time around. 

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely think several people are able to get in on their first attempt, but there are also just as many (if not more) that get in after multiple attempts. This was my third year applying, and I was finally accepted. My first year, I interviewed and was waitlisted. Last year, I interviewed and then was rejected. 

My first two years I had a 3.8 GPA and a 298 GRE (I kept getting the same score despite taking it 3 times). No HCE the first year, 160 shadowing hours. The second year, about 500-700 hours HCE. This year, same GPA with a 304 GRE, and about 2,300 hours HCE. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kns23 said:

I definitely think several people are able to get in on their first attempt, but there are also just as many (if not more) that get in after multiple attempts. This was my third year applying, and I was finally accepted. My first year, I interviewed and was waitlisted. Last year, I interviewed and then was rejected. 

My first two years I had a 3.8 GPA and a 298 GRE (I kept getting the same score despite taking it 3 times). No HCE the first year, 160 shadowing hours. The second year, about 500-700 hours HCE. This year, same GPA with a 304 GRE, and about 2,300 hours HCE. 

What did you do differently to increase your GRE? I’m in the same boat you were in. I keep getting the same score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2017 at 8:57 PM, LexieB said:

Did you mean to say getting in the first time *is* the norm?

I mean.... I'm sure many people do, but thread after thread seems to indicate that many people attempt to gain admission over multiple cycles. 

 

But what is REALLY disheartening is hearing the accounts of people who interview one year and get outright rejected the next. 

 

I think I'm just having a really down day today, too. I guess I'm not a fan of knowing that half the class is already filled and still having to wait for who knows how long. My stomach has been in knots since the dadgum interview.

Trying to be patient, but it's tough!

 

 

 

 

I know what you mean...I think the wait is the hardest part of this whole process. Especially when you hear that someone got an invitation soon after the interview. I was hoping I would hear something by now...now I feel like every day that passes my chances of getting in are getting smaller. 

Btw It’s a down day for me as well. 

Good luck to both of us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cdowns said:

What did you do differently to increase your GRE? I’m in the same boat you were in. I keep getting the same score. 

I was using Kaplan and Princeton Review but for me personally, it just wasn’t working. I ended up getting the ETS GRE Review book and studied for about 2 hours every day for a month, and it finally went up! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, kns23 said:

I was using Kaplan and Princeton Review but for me personally, it just wasn’t working. I ended up getting the ETS GRE Review book and studied for about 2 hours every day for a month, and it finally went up! 

 I have both Kaplan and Princeton Review. That’s all I’ve been using! Funny how our situations are so similar. I’ll definitely get the ETS GRE Review book. Thank you so much! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cdowns said:

 I have both Kaplan and Princeton Review. That’s all I’ve been using! Funny how our situations are so similar. I’ll definitely get the ETS GRE Review book. Thank you so much! 

You’re welcome! I know it’s insanely frustrating. I took it 4 times total. My first score was a 298, then a 297 and then a 296, so I was freaking out. But once I used the ETS book, it went to a 304. Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just got my email about being waitlisted...anyone know how many people they usually take from the alternate list? I know it is different every year but just wanted to get an idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received my waitlist email as well. There are only 40 spots so I imagine they at MOST only get 1-4 people from the waitlist every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 10:28 AM, srees said:

I interviewed 10/2 and I have not been accepted yet (this is my first year applying) 

  • I graduated with a 3.92 GPA Dec 2016
  • 302 GRE
  • 3 years HCE around 4,000+ hours (2 years EKG in the ER, 1 year Clinical Research)
  • 1 public health mission trip to Nicaragua ( I was also the Vice President)
  • Studied abroad in Argentina for 1 month
  • 100 hours shadowing PA/MD 
  • I feel that my interview went great, but not as confident on all the logic tests

I totally agree it has been getting a little disheartening lately. Thankfully we will all know yes or no in one month. 

Hello @srees. What are logic tests?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By jlthornt
      Starting a thread for the 2019-2020 admissions cycle. Any other out of state applicants?
    • By DoNoHarm14
      Hello!
       
      My name is John and I applied to LSU Shreveport (LSUS), and have gotten the email saying that they are reviewing my application.  It's been over a week since they have emailed me that and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to hear back from them.  I have been given an interview at Christian Brothers, in Memphis, and they only took two days to get back to me after reviewing my file.  Any thoughts on this would be great.
       
      Thanks!  Good luck to all!
    • By DoNoHarm14
      Hello!
       
      My name is John and I applied to LSU Shreveport (LSUS), and have gotten the email saying that they are reviewing my application.  It's been over a week since they have emailed me that and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to hear back from them.  I have been given an interview at Christian Brothers, in Memphis, and they only took two days to get back to me after reviewing my file.  Any thoughts on this would be great.
       
      Thanks!  Good luck to all!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More