Arizona: Northern Arizona University 2017-2018 application cycle

I called Kay and left a message I haven’t heard back from her :( just wanted to see if there’s any updates.. last year I got a interview invite via email on 11/30 and interviewed 12/13 and was waitlisted.. I’m hoping to hear back soon...

I was thinking of doing that, but I’ll wait to see if she responds to your call. Please let us know what she says. I’m hoping they still plan to send out more invitations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, pandabear.katie said:

Got in touch with Mary. She said that if u haven’t heard anything yet that’s good. And that we’ll be hearing about more interviews soon! It can go until the end of December or even January.

I was hoping someone would say that no news is good news! Always better than the rejection that makes it official and takes away all hope. With that being said, has anyone gotten a rejection yet? Or has the only correspondence been interview invites and acceptance calls? I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm dying to know if my application is in the "pending interview" pile or the "not interested" one! Haha!

1 hour ago, PAschoolforthewin said:

Has anyone from the 11/13 interview heard anything back yet?

Yes, has anyone from last week's interviews heard anything?

I interviewed on 11/15 and am still hoping to hear something very soon. I am excited and nervous, I really loved their program!

There were nine applicants in my interview group. The director said that they had extended an original 150 interview invitations but were only planning to actually interview 120, due to 30 that had already accepted other programs and declined to participate. So, good news, he says as they are filling 50 spots, our chances are a bit better than 1 in 3. He gave us a timeline for hearing back of, "we could contact you tomorrow or anytime between now and January." On the day of my interview, he had also said that the program had only extended 11 acceptances so far, and that they review the applicants of the day along with the applicants prior in a holistic manner, all together in comparison.

To anyone who went through the secondary application error issue (where they emailed you that they did not receive your secondary application months after you had paid for and submitted it), it seems as if none of us have received an interview invite. Of course that could easily be based on merit alone, but has anyone else who dealt with the secondary application error received an invite??

I had emailed them earlier this week and expressed my concern that the error may have had an effect on my qualifying to receive an interview (which would be unfair) and I was told that "No, the error did not have a bearing on your application. However, we are still in the review process. You could hear from us regarding your application anytime between now and January." 

I just wanted to reach out to anyone in the same boat, or at least anyone who is still concerned about interview invites. It seems they will be extending into January.

I am also in the group affected by the erroneous rejection emails and haven't yet received an interview invite. Perhaps they are reviewing applications in the order in which they were marked as complete and they just haven't gotten to ours yet. Hopefully them being in the review process means they are still extending invitations to interview!

Just got an acceptance call! :) good luck to everyone, I am excited to meet the others in my cohort and thanks for all of your input on the thread! 

And to out those of you at ease about the erroneous emails, I got one a couple months ago as well! So, there is still hope and I am cheering for you! 

22 hours ago, ajames said:

Would any accepted students mind posting their stats and how they feel their interview experience went?

Thank you in advance for your insight and congratulations on your acceptances! 

- Undergraduate degree in exercise physiology. GPA was a 3.6 and science was 3.4 I think. Significant upward trend (I didn't start well lol)

- Graduate school GPA is a 3.85 so far, getting masters in the same field

- GRE: V - 156   Q - 362   AW - 4.0

- Medical experience is a result of being a medic in the Air national guard, about 2200 hours. Pretty varied in type as I've worked in the ER, all the inpatient wards and ICU, as well as a bunch of different outpatient clinics, plus a deployed clinic in Kuwait

- Community experience is pretty poor, but maybe they count military as a a form of community service

- For the masters program I'm in I have a graduate position that includes teaching, working as a personal trainer, and conducting exercise stress tests. Decent amount of research as well with a couple publications already and hopefully a couple more as I wrap up my thesis

- Uhhh not sure what else people put in stats. I've only received two interviews besides NAU so far (Emory which offered a spot, and Nova southestern which I declined), but I didn't submit CASPA till Aug. 3 and my supplemental applications till right before all the deadlines. Still waiting to hear back from three programs.

- Hope this helps, best of luck to everyone!

28 minutes ago, dokita027 said:

If u don't mind, can you share your stat with me? Thank you

Sure!

Submitted CASPA end of May and Verified June 9

Undergrad from NAU in Health Sciences

cGPA: 3.48    sGPA: 3.45  Last 60 hours GPA: 4.0 (10 year break from school so made sure to finish as strong as possible. It's hard to recover from a bad start sometimes!)

GRE: 297 (I don't remember the Verbal and Quantitative breakdown but I do know my V was much higher than Q). Writing was 4.0

Patient Care: Apprx 24,000 hours. 12 years as a Paramedic and Firefighter in Phoenix.

Volunteer Work: Don't remember how many hours I recorded in my CASPA, but it was a bunch. Done a lot of off duty community outreach over the last 12 years as a firefighter including teaching CPR classes in underserved communities, fundraising, mentoring, basic health screenings, etc.

Shadowing: Again don't remember the number of hours but had a few shadowing PA's in Trauma ICU, Derm, Ortho and Internal Med.

I guess those are all the main stats! Besides the numbers, I'm not sure where my personal statement and supplemental app played into the whole thing. I applied to 6 schools and have 1 acceptance so far, but NAU is hands down my top choice. 

Hope that helps! Best of luck to everyone!

Archived