Firefighter-EMT Health Care hours

Hello,

I know I should just call some of the potential schools I'm looking at applying to, but I thought maybe someone out there might have been in the same situation as me.

I have 3.5 years of Full-time Firefighter-EMT on my resume, averaging over 2,800 hours a year, but I'm curious if anyone knows if the PA programs will accept this, or at minimum pro-rate it so I can at least use a portion of these to meet the Health Care Experience requirements.  

Any idea?

Thank you.

I'm not so sure that all schools will count *all* those hours as "HCE". EMT work definitely counts, but putting out a blaze in an empty building?

I would still advise you to report all the hours and just be honest in your descriptions about what the work consisted of. All hours logged in HCE jobs involve a certain amount of time that's spent doing things other than working with patients, and you're so far beyond the minimum requirements for most schools that it shouldn't be an issue.

Guest HanSolo

Just put in two entries in CASPA. One for the fire aspect and the other for the EMS aspect. Divvy the total hours up in whichever way you feel best represents your job. 

• Administrator

Just put in two entries in CASPA. One for the fire aspect and the other for the EMS aspect. Divvy the total hours up in whichever way you feel best represents your job.

Disagree. Count it all, estimate the split, and make the schools decide if they want to give you 100% or not. While being transparent, always make the default in your favor.

I have 3.5 years of Full-time Firefighter-EMT on my resume, averaging over 2,800 hours a year, but I'm curious if anyone knows if the PA programs will accept this, or at minimum pro-rate it so I can at least use a portion of these to meet the Health Care Experience requirements.

Of course if you're like some of my FF/EMT's on the Engine Co. the 2,800 hours/year might involve 2 hours of direct patient care and 2,798 hours of standing in the hallway or taking the cancellation as you roll up from AMR... :). (Just kidding; its great experience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived