Applying to PA school with 3.27 GPA?

Hi Everyone! I am planning to apply to PA schools in the Northeast during this upcoming cycle. I would like to hear what everyone's thoughts are regarding my GPA and how much it may hinder my chances in PA school.

Here are my stats:

22 y/o Female. Graduated May 2016 with B.S. Biochemistry. 

cumulative GPA 3.27, science GPA 3.21

~1600 patient care hours as certified medical scribe at an urgent care so far

2 LORs so far - doctor & manager from work 

GRE score = 155 Verbal 47% / 155 Quant 59% / 4.5 Writing 59%

300+ volunteer hours in undergrad career

Undergraduate extracurriculars - worked part time, 20 hours/wk of research, 1-3 leadership positions each semester, volunteering, 

I started with 3.5 GPA at end of freshman year, but my last 2 years ruined it and gave me a downward GPA trend. I put too much time into extracurriculars instead of my classes. I did well in most of the pre-req courses (except Biochemistry I & II with a C+), but my other science classes that I needed for my Biochem major really killed my GPA - engineering Physics I&II (got C-), Biology of Cancer (C+), and P-Chem (C- as well, but retook and got a B+). 

At work, I take the patient's vitals, patient's medical history and HPI, complete the health care provider's legal documents/charts, perform & help with some procedures with supervision (EKG, vision tests, splinting, wound care, pelvic exams, etc). Is my PCE considered good quality? I don't have a strong third LOR from an academic provider or PA. Would it be a problem if all of my LOR are <1 year of knowing them. I am currently in the process of shadowing an ortho PA sand I am planning to retake it the GREs again to improve my Verbal at the very least. 

Here are some schools I am interested in:

MCPHS Boston, Boston University, Bay Path College, Tufts University School of Medicine, MGH Institute or Health Professionals, Stony Brook University, Pace University, NY Institute of Technology, Touro College, Rush University, Rosaline Franklin University of Medicine, Temple University.

I know I have good interview skills, but I am scared my GPA may ruin my profile on paper. What is everyone's thoughts on my chances?

with a sub 3.3 gpa you really need to have top shelf HCE like rn, paramedic, resp therapist or something else that really sets you apart like extensive community service, international missions work, etc.

some programs accept scribe experience, many do not. I would emphasize the pt contact aspects of your job like working with pts, assisting with procedures, etc. try to present it as a medical assistant position with some scribing responsibilities as well.

good luck.

• Administrator

GRE is good.  What EMED said about PCE.  LORs really depend on what they can say about you, not necessarily how long you have known them.  As long as an LOR isn't a poison pill, I'm not sure how influential it really is.  GPA is weak and not particularly competitive with that HCE.  I would continue taking novel, upper division science classes on a part-time basis where you can keep a 4.0 in everything new, as well as keep accumulating PCE/HCE.  Finally, I know nothing in particular about any of the schools on your list, so my entire post can be taken with a large grain of salt, as it's based on generalities rather than any specific knowledge of any of those programs.

Just a quick glance but you can cross Tufts off your list. They do not accept scribing as PCE. 

Hello HanSolo, thank you for the response!

I spoke to a lot of PA programs and many of themdo not accept medical scribe positions, but if I elaborate on what I do as a scribe they would definitely count it as PCE. I elaborated my duties as a scribe to admissions representative and they said thats definite PCE, but I must make sure to mention it. Thank you for the advice!

Guest HanSolo

Got it. Yes, truly depends on the job responsibilities rather than the job title. That's why those 600 characters in the CASPA experience section are so important. 

Give yourself some more credit, don't be so harsh! You're young to be applying and have accomplished so much while in school, so take pride in your accomplishments. I certainly could not have balanced all of that in undergrad and gave myself a few years to get all the experience needed, so make sure you remember how much you've done in so little time. I'd imagine adcoms at least consider this a little bit as well, I am impressed by people applying pretty much straight out of undergrad for this very reason.

Your GPA isn't horrible, it's a little below average but it doesn't immediately raise red flags, maybe yellow flags, but not red. I can't imagine those numbers alone will cause your app to be tossed right out the gate and they'll probably look deeper into it. Also, you've got a biochemistry degree, so consider the difficulty of the courseload you've taken compared to say a psychology or health promotions major with a 3.8 GPA. Engineering physics puts to shame my algebra-based physics courses, so perhaps adcoms will consider things like this more heavily than you think but I'm just speculating.

The biggest thing I think will hurt you is the downward trend and the amount of Cs. I'd retake at least biochem 1 since I'd imagine that's a pre-req for some of those schools. If you've got lower grades in other pre-reqs, retake those too. Or take some more difficult versions of pre-reqs and show you can get A's. Try to demonstrate an upward trend now if you can. But who knows, maybe since many of those C's you mentioned aren't pre-reqs, they may not care about them and you may get in regardless. Good luck!

Give yourself some more credit, don't be so harsh! You're young to be applying and have accomplished so much while in school, so take pride in your accomplishments. I certainly could not have balanced all of that in undergrad and gave myself a few years to get all the experience needed, so make sure you remember how much you've done in so little time. I'd imagine adcoms at least consider this a little bit as well, I am impressed by people applying pretty much straight out of undergrad for this very reason.

Your GPA isn't horrible, it's a little below average but it doesn't immediately raise red flags, maybe yellow flags, but not red. I can't imagine those numbers alone will cause your app to be tossed right out the gate and they'll probably look deeper into it. Also, you've got a biochemistry degree, so consider the difficulty of the courseload you've taken compared to say a psychology or health promotions major with a 3.8 GPA. Engineering physics puts to shame my algebra-based physics courses, so perhaps adcoms will consider things like this more heavily than you think but I'm just speculating.

The biggest thing I think will hurt you is the downward trend and the amount of Cs. I'd retake at least biochem 1 since I'd imagine that's a pre-req for some of those schools. If you've got lower grades in other pre-reqs, retake those too. Or take some more difficult versions of pre-reqs and show you can get A's. Try to demonstrate an upward trend now if you can. But who knows, maybe since many of those C's you mentioned aren't pre-reqs, they may not care about them and you may get in regardless. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! 

I am definitely more concerned compared to 1 month ago. I attended an information session a week ago and the admissions chair states that he immediately tosses low GPA into the rejected pile without looking much into it. It is relieving that my GPA isn't THAT bad. 

I definitely hope they consider me because of the reasons you listed me as! Unfortunately, my transcript doesn't label my physics class as an engineering class so I am not even sure if they will understand. I will definitely start looking into retaking biochemistry as that is the only pre-req (for some schools) that is really bringing my GPA down. Do you know if most schools accept summer credits or only semester-based courses? 

May I ask about your title as a medical scribe? Prior to my job offer as a medical assistant in urgent care I was training as a scribe. (I have my CNA I am not am not certified as an MA, though my job title is "medical assistant" at my place of work; confusing, I know.) Generally, from my experience training as a scribe, I learned we could not touch patients. It seems that if you are taking patients vitals,  assisting with EKGs, splinting, wound care, etc. This would not fit the job description of a "scribe" that most would assume. Could you speak to your employer about changing your job title? If this is absolutely too far fetched I would say just explained your patient care hours and that they are patient contact hours too. 

Some other advice is to get your CNA. It can take as little as 4-6 weeks, and with your experience I would imagine you would not have a hard time finding a job that constitutes as great HCE. 

I apologize as I cannot speak more about the gpa as I am currently raising mine as well and stress myself out quite a bit.

Best of luck! 

May I ask about your title as a medical scribe? Prior to my job offer as a medical assistant in urgent care I was training as a scribe. (I have my CNA I am not am not certified as an MA, though my job title is "medical assistant" at my place of work; confusing, I know.) Generally, from my experience training as a scribe, I learned we could not touch patients. It seems that if you are taking patients vitals,  assisting with EKGs, splinting, wound care, etc. This would not fit the job description of a "scribe" that most would assume. Could you speak to your employer about changing your job title? If this is absolutely too far fetched I would say just explained your patient care hours and that they are patient contact hours too. 

Some other advice is to get your CNA. It can take as little as 4-6 weeks, and with your experience I would imagine you would not have a hard time finding a job that constitutes as great HCE. 

I apologize as I cannot speak more about the gpa as I am currently raising mine as well and stress myself out quite a bit.

Best of luck! 

I heard that about the scribe position as well, but I have worked as a scribe at an ER and currently at an urgent care and both experiences are very different. At an ER, I was only able to do scribe duties which is everything that involved the chart - just like you said, I was not allowed to touch the patient and rarely talked to them as well. Most scribe positions are found in the hospital which is probably why many people assume u get no PCE with that position.

At the urgent care, my title is still a scribe because my most important duty is to finalize the provider's medical charts (CC, HPI, ROS, PE, Assessment, Rx, Preventive Medication, Referrals, etc.). I am only allowed to do certain things without supervision - EKG, UA, UCG, Rapid Strep/Flu, Snellen's Vision Test, and depending on the provider minimal ortho care and wound care. I also get to help the provider with pelvic exams, cleaning wounds, help with splinting, help with abscess drainage - all of that with supervision. But, I definitely consider all that PCE (not too sure if it is the best). What I truly like about what I do now as a scribe is that I am the person who is with the patient from the beginning to the end. I take their vitals, obtain medical history, the HPI. I then present to the provider, and the provider comes into the pt's room with me. I am there during every procedure for documentation and assistance reasons. When the provider done and leaves, I am still with the patient to finalize his pharmacy or to give discharge instructions.

Because we work with Medical Assistants as well, the job title cannot be changed. At the urgent care, the MAs are mostly in charge of any lab processing and drawing blood. They also can do Rapid Strep/Flu, UA, UCG, and EKG. But they are not allowed to do anything with the chart. So I guess that is why my title sticks as a scribe since I am not allowed to draw blood.

What are some PCE that CNAs do? I am always under the impression of cleaning elderly patients, but I know that isn't always true. Thank you so much for the advice! Do you think it is possible to find per diem CNA positions?

Good luck to you as well!!

• 2 months later...

I just went to an information session at UNE where we were told that nationally scribe will no longer be accepted as HCE due to varying responsibilities for scribes across the country. With that said, I would maybe recommend asking programs about it specifically before spending the money applying! I had done a two week cna course and got a job immediately after, so you can find something else fairly quickly!

Archived