So you have a sub 3.0 GPA and no Masters degree?

Did you do well in your postbacc? Look into EVMS who will take your past 60 credits and make a new GPA. Their class profile has like an average cGPA of around 3.3-3.5 I believe which is LOW. But their last 60 credits GPA is like a 3.8.

I have a 3.83 with my postbach. I just want to know the best option right now. Should I get a masters? Or continue to take 40'credits until a get the minimum 3.0

I have a 3.83 with my postbach. I just want to know the best option right now. Should I get a masters? Or continue to take 40'credits until a get the minimum 3.0

I would definitely try and get your gpa up to a 3.0 to meet the cut offs. Did you take a lot of upper level sciences in your post bacc?

Personally, I wouldn’t do a Masters unless you know you can do well because it’s expensive as heck.. but those grades won’t be factored into your cGPA. So maybe take more postbacc classes full of rigorous classes and not easy sciences (intro to geology, etc). 

Thank you all for your responses! I'm not against taking community college courses, I am not 100% sure if I want to take the core classes again. I graduated from Med Tech school having taken Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Microbiology, Blood Bank, Coagulation, Urinalysis and all those courses we drilled Human Anatomy. I'm hoping they would look at those courses instead of my O. Chem "C" grade because I earned A's and B's in my MT program. Then again, I could be wrong and they just want to see my core classes. I would like to take graduate science courses or a Masters and actually get something out of it just in case PA school doesn't work out for me.

EKPA  when you scheduled to meet with faculty members, did you meet them to acquire more about the program or have them get to know you or both?

Again THANK YOU to everyone!

They did for me.   I too had a C in org chem (an A in the lab section) and a pretty decent GPA in MT school.  

I would definitely try and get your gpa up to a 3.0 to meet the cut offs. Did you take a lot of upper level sciences in your post bacc?

Personally, I wouldn’t do a Masters unless you know you can do well because it’s expensive as heck.. but those grades won’t be factored into your cGPA. So maybe take more postbacc classes full of rigorous classes and not easy sciences (intro to geology, etc).

. Thanks for your advice. I've taken some rigorous science classes as well as I've retaken most of my sciences. I was told to just take fuller classes until my gpa reaches the 3.0 mark

Thanks so much for the advice

Hi y'all! 

So this past cycle was my third time applying & unfortunately, although I received multiple interviews, I was rejected from all except for one program that I am still awaiting their decision on! As I prepare for the next cycle, I am having difficulty deciding the next steps & am hoping to get yall's thoughts/feedback! Here are my stats:

GPA:

Undergrad Cumulative- 3.09 (very sick throughout undergrad. addressed this in personal statement) 

Post-Bacc Science- 3.7 (classes taken after graduating; not a formal program

Overall GPA- 3.2

Overall Science- 3.10

Pre-reqs with C's: BIO 101, Chem 1 lab, Chem 2 lab, ochem

- Suggested by programs to not re-take these as they are intro classes and getting an A will not prove

myself academically. So I took additional courses in classes like immunology, endocrinology, embryology,  

histology and made A's in all of the classes I've taken post-bacc except for Ochem. Used this to explain

that my health is resolved. 

GRE: math 60%, verbal 85%, essay 95%

Hours:

Patient care- 2,000 (EMT (911), medical assistant)

Health care/medical- 5,230 (scribe x 2 years, inpatient advocate)

Volunteer- 1,000

Shadow- 90 PA; 1030 MD (split up scribe hours for MD)

Employment: 1,360 (non-medical)

1st year applying: 0 interviews

2nd year applying: 1 interview, 0 acceptances

3rd year applying: 4 interviews, 2 interview wait-list, 1 waitlist (still waiting), 0 acceptances

Here are my questions:

1) On one interview it was suggested to me to do a formal post-bacc masters program. My concern with this is that they will still default to my undergrad GPA. I say this because after being rejected from the program I interviewed at both last year and again this year, I received feedback from the director who stated that they weigh undergrad GPA's more heavily; so my post-bacc and new overall isn't considered as heavily as undergrad. Therefore, even if I take a formal post-bacc program & do well they are still going to base their decision on my undergrad. I know not all programs do this, but I know most combine all GPA's into a cumulative GPA. So even if I get a 4.0 in a masters my overall science will still be on the low-side. Do any of y'all have any info regarding this or have had this similar situation? I just want to make sure that if I am going to spend the money on this program, that it will make a difference! 

2) I am trying to decide between a post-bacc masters in medical sciences (1 year; 32 credits) or UF's masters certificate in medical physiology online (6 months; 15 credits). The formal post-bacc program includes courses such as biostats, biochem, genetics, etc. UF's masters cert in medical physiology has courses in cardiovascular physiology, renal physiology, etc. I am leaning towards doing the online program because I wouldn't have to move, could continue my current 911 EMT job, and the courses are more interesting personally. However, my concern is that due to my stats the programs might not consider the online program as beneficial/rigorous as an in-person program. Additionally, if I do the online one and apply this upcoming cycle, I would have a completed transcript to show at interviews; although, the grades will not be included on my CASPA application. In contrast, if I do the in-person program, it would be more beneficial to wait another year to apply when I have my completed grades & new GPA on CASPA, as at the time of interviews I will only have 1-2 completed grades from the summer semester; but this raises issues as some of my prereqs will be over the 5 year limit. Thoughts? 

3) What programs have y'all been accepted too with a low GPA? (I have applied all over the country, so I am looking for more programs to add to my list for the subsequent cycle). I have found that programs that I have been offered interviews at are programs that either have a bunch of essays (strong in writing) or have required a min of 1,000 patient care hours therefore not caring solely about grades. Looking for suggestions for programs that would align with this. 

I know this was really long, so thank you! Props to you if you read this far lols. I sincerely appreciate any advice/feedback! As this will be my 4th year & am really struggling with where to go from here! If you would rather DM me then that works too! Thanks!!

How low are we talking here? How many pre-reqs do not have A's in them? There is not magic formula but over exceeding in other areas such as the GRE, letters of rec, HCE hours, and a bomb PS can help.

Jdabrowski, I explained my stats in the previous post if that helps! I know there is no definite answer as to which schools to apply to get in; but I am just hoping for advice/suggestions for which programs those with lower GPA's have gotten into too so I can also look at those too! I have had more luck out of state, so when adding more programs, I feel like I am just randomly looking if that makes sense! 

Just to let y'all know, it is possible. I had a GPA fairly below the 3.0 threshold and I am currently in my 1st year of PA school (and doing quite well, honestly). There are plenty of factors that contribute to an admission's panel decision whether or not to give you an interview and to offer you an admission. GPA is only but a portion of their decision.

It looks like it might be coming down to how you are interviewing. Your interview can set you apart or set you for failure. Have you discussed mock interviews with PA's you have shadowed?

The interviews I had were vastly different: one I was grilled (why should we pick you? why did you get a C, etc), other I was asked random questions about if I wanted recommendations for apartments or things to do in town & last two were normal panel interviews. For the interview where I was grilled, I handled it very well, but left feeling like why did they even invite me again (this was the school I interviewed at twice now). I am strong with people and communicating, so I didn't think it was my interview per say; however, after thinking about it and discussing it with other people, I think my prob with this was that I stated that another program last year had advised me to take a full load of classes in one semester to prove I could handle the rigorous curriculum versus taking 1-2/semester. I stated this to explain that this was my third year applying, I was a serious candidate, health is resolved, succeeded, and proved my academic capability, etc. However, at the end of one of the interviews where I was rejected from, I asked if they had any concerns & they then stated they would have to agree with the other program and went on about how rigorous PA school is. Therefore, I implanted the thought in their head/ gave them a way out. For the program, I am on the waitlist for, although I stated the same thing, I was asked if I had to leave and then we both talked for an extra 30 min. So you're right, for the subsequent cycle, I need to reword this to still show that I am serious, etc but not in the way I stated it before. This is another reason why I am asking for other programs to apply too, so I can start fresh! What are your thoughts on the 2 diff masters programs? 

• 9 months later...
On 3/23/2017 at 10:26 AM, Dante311 said:

Hi,

In my panicking, I've decided to create a support thread for those of us with a sub-stellar GPA.  The catch of this group?

• There is a pretty decent reason why your GPA is so low.. (I hope)
  • Physician Assistant is your first choice for professions, and you're willing to do anything...
  • You're ready to put in a 500% effort, because let's face it, this isn't going to be easy.
  • Can you add this to this?  Please post below!!!

I by no means am a master of this, but I've sought advice from all around the country by frequently corresponding with admissions directors and admissions coordinators.  

Every applicant is UNIQUE, so make your story shine.  There happens to be a lot of advice on how to apply to PA school with a low GPA.  DO YOUR RESEARCH!  There are a large number of programs that have HARD cutoffs... so know when your application won't even get a look.  Save your money.  There are plenty of programs that may consider an appeal for consideration (something I've done! - I've been told I have a very compelling backstory - and I've appealed for consideration to a number of PA programs and have been looked at).  

If you believe you have a very strong, unique or compelling reason why there is an enormous hole/flaw in your application and can write about it for consideration, give it a try!   I've had program directors e-mail me back telling me to do A, and/or B and they're looking forward to next application cycle and seeing my app.  Either they're just looking for my money (a possibility, but I doubt it), or they gave me solid advice out of their extremely busy day and are really trying to push me forward ... b/c they understand how hard we have to work to make up for our short comings.  

Then there are programs with lower GPA cutoffs... despite many of them stating the average applicant has high stats, this is where a holistic approach and making your application shine really comes in handy!  Professional affiliations?  Medical and/or non-medical volunteering?  Have you been busy publishing?  Are you a leader in some area?  How extensive is your clinical work?   Apply to programs that value your clinical exposure.  A powerful personal statement & non-medical volunteering, coupled with very strong letters of recommendation will almost likely get someone to look at your application.  I applied to a very good program.. my GPA is a 2.9, with a modest MS GPA, but I have a very strong holistic profile.  Unfortunate my GRE (2012) was too old for their program (require within 3 years) and I foolishly missed that slight detail.  The director told me to retake (get >50%ile in both sections), take another semester of courses at night, get B's and It'll show my competitiveness and ability to succeed in their program.  Coupled with my strong recs, volunteer, clinical, and research history... they look very much forward to receiving my application VIA caspa.  Oh, and I should ping them when I submit.  

I am so excited my hard work MAY pay off. I say MAY because hey... I'm not accepted until I have that letter of acceptance in my hand.  

What's your story?  What have you done to overcome adversity?  Words of advice or experience you may share?  

I'll share mine later on...

Thank you guys for reading this.  I truly wish you all the best of luck this coming application cycle!

-Dante

Would you mind sharing some of the programs that have a lower GPA cutoff? I've been having a hard time finding them and I would appreciate some advice!

I have used the PAEA directory to search for programs. It was a great website to somewhat quickly go through the programs and their general requirements including GPA, GRE, and pre reqs. Off the top of my head I think Albany Med, MEDEX, Western Univ, Arcadia Univ.

Google paea directory and its the first link. Hopefully this helps. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, ventana said:

This is solved with getting a Masters

I had about a 2.9 undergrad due to 2 semesters with a 1.8 early in my education

Once I figured out life - I was almost a 4.0 in my major, but my overall GPA stunk

I went back to part time school and got an MBA and had a 3.95 and was inducted into the Golden Key Honor society and poof - into PA school I got..... applied at one school and accepted.....

I am so glad I stumbled upon this. Thanks for sharing your story.  My CASPA calculated undergrad GPA is horrendous. I know it. I admit it. I own it. I was young when I went to school and screwed off the entire time.  2.49 gpa. Like I said...stellar!  I graduated some time ago. 10 years later, I earned my Master's Degree with a 4.0. Of course, that still doesn't raise my overall GPA above 3.0. I had a great 16 year career in the corporate world, even working in leadership positions. I quit my high paying job, took something less demanding of me, and have been taking 2 classes per semester for the past 2 years. I am 47 years and banging out my pre-reqs. I am managing anywhere from a B to a B+ (Shooting for A's), and have my overall GPA to a 2.82 currently. I still have a few more difficult classes to take just to show I can still manage the work and subject matter.

I volunteer as an EMT with a great organization, where I am getting quality patient care hours. I plan on taking the GRE's in the coming months.

I know my GPA is never going to be where it should....it won't be a competitive score....but I plan on being a great applicant.  

I have a great resume. High quality PCE. Leadership qualities and experience. A 4.0 in Masters Work. I hope to apply at the end of the summer, but next year is probably more like it.

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on PA schools I should apply to. Due to a crappy start in college followed by my grandmother slowly dying my senior year, my GPA wasn't stellar. I've taken 2 math courses (Pre-calc & Calculus), Chem 1, Anatomy & Physiology (8 credits total), Genetics, and Biochem post college. I've received A's in all of those courses. Considering those grades, CASPA states my GPA is 3.25 cumulative and 3.13 science. I've been looking at schools where my prerequisites would be all A's (or 1 B mixed in), but I'm so damn nervous about my GPA. I have 5000 HCE, will start scribing for a year soon, 150+ medical volunteering, 1000 hours other volunteering, only 15 hours of PA shadowing, and 5000 hours of research. I've worked my butt off (like many of you), and want a school that will look past that low GPA. I don't want to get more in debt with a masters program to boost my GPA after I took all those classes post-grad. Any suggestions? 

I am about to start PA school and I was very nervous about my overall stats. I was an older applicant at 35+ and spent a lot of my college years not all that interested in being the best student. I ended up with a non-science major and a cumulative GPA of around 3.1. When I applied I had about 2000 compensated HCE as a Medical Assistant, and about 300 volunteer hours in healthcare. I did do well in my prerequisite coursework which did help a lot, but my cumulative GPA was subpar. I would really recommend if possible, to apply to as many schools as you can, as each school looks at the applicant pool in their own way. I know it is expensive, but it can really boost your chances of getting accepted (it only takes 1!). As far as which schools, it’s hard to say. Some schools will post their average student stats which may or may not help.

Archived