Why do those hiring say "Busy practice..." like it's a good thing?

When looking for positions online, I always see postings mention "Busy practice in need of PA". Why would this make any of us want to apply? Unless there's some great bonus structure, I'm pretty sure the majority of us would like to see as little patients as possible. 

I'm actually glad they use it because I automatically skip their applications...

"Busy Practice" to me equates to "assume you will see an illogical number of patients every single day forever".

If they were honest - it would make me laugh and think they might be real.

HONEST:

Woefully understaffed office with large number of spoiled, needy patients desiring benzos seeks PA to see illogical number of patients per day in short, stupid visit slots with minimal staff support, no RNs. Candidate will work on charts after hours in suboptimal EHR with no tech support and frequent outages and more illogical use of meaningless use.....

At least that would be honest. No sunshine and unicorns.................

"Busy practice needs and enthusiastic, energetic self-starter with at least _ years of experience who love a fast-paced environment and can hit the ground running. No new grads. Come join our team!"

Translation: a provider left because they were burnt out and couldnt handle being dumped on anymore so we need someone ASAP to see all of their patients for a very standard salary and no real incentives other than a job and some vague talk of profit-sharing down the road.

There are so many private practices out there who do this.

Boy do I agree with the premise of this thread....

I skip those ad's outright.  Also, in Urgent Care no one wants to work at the "busy location".  Why?  No more money, increased liability, people are stressed out, patients are stressed out.....and the corporate overlords are going out of their way to constantly understaff and save money.  No thanks.

In all seriousness - I have determined in my family practice setting that 9 before lunch and 9 after would suffice. Many would be 99214 with a healthy slew of 99213s and several physicals.

I could give the people the time they need and actually finish the charting during daylight hours and, oh, maybe handle some phone calls.

Have been told by not so trained people that 18 per day "doesn't make my salary". Never shown numbers or data but they say it doesn't pay the bills. 

So, I continue to dream and look at other options.

In all seriousness - I have determined in my family practice setting that 9 before lunch and 9 after would suffice. Many would be 99214 with a healthy slew of 99213s and several physicals.

I could give the people the time they need and actually finish the charting during daylight hours and, oh, maybe handle some phone calls.

Have been told by not so trained people that 18 per day "doesn't make my salary". Never shown numbers or data but they say it doesn't pay the bills.

So, I continue to dream and look at other options.

This piqued my interest. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but:

http://www.beckersasc.com/asc-coding-billing-and-collections/30-statistics-on-average-commercial-reimbursement-by-specialty-in-2014.html

According to this, 99213 in primary care averaged $73.50 in 2014. At the 85% rule, that's $64 a visit. At 18 a day that's $1,152 generated a day.

This piqued my interest. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but:

http://www.beckersasc.com/asc-coding-billing-and-collections/30-statistics-on-average-commercial-reimbursement-by-specialty-in-2014.html

According to this, 99213 in primary care averaged $73.50 in 2014. At the 85% rule, that's $64 a visit. At 18 a day that's $1,152 generated a day.

I made my judgment on 18 per day solely on sanity and actually accomplishing anything with fairness to the patient. 

I would bet that 8 would be 99214, 3-4 complete physicals and the rest 99213. So, whatever that calculates out to.....

For the sake of round numbers - $50 per hour for the PA calculated as salary for a 40 hour week then overhead and benefits. It is late here and I am not doing the math right now.

And someone still wants a "profit" or share of the take.

Is this viable???

I firmly believe in the part time walk in provider or switching providers on certain days of the week to see ONLY walk in/ call in / sick call. I have seen that work quite well. 

Now, let's move on to the front desk issue and how to UNtrain receptionists who were badgered by the old now retired doc to "shove them in" and he used to see 35 per day - no lie - all paper charts, dictaphone and REALLY bad documentation and poor records of drugs. 

She sees her job as secure and successful if she "keeps us busy" despite ZERO insight into putting people in correctly.

I am tired, long day. Any suggestions welcome.....

One of our local Mega HC Networks is looking for UC PA's for both FT/PT shifts. If my position were to go belly up I would look into this as a PT 2 shifts/week person. I'd take a flat rate of $75/hr (I have no clue what they pay). And get my health ins. through my wife and just keep my own disability. With my luck they'd say MS only (only a couple of years left to go so not cost-effective if I have to pay myself).

One of our local Mega HC Networks is looking for UC PA's for both FT/PT shifts. If my position were to go belly up I would look into this as a PT 2 shifts/week person. I'd take a flat rate of $75/hr (I have no clue what they pay). And get my health ins. through my wife and just keep my own disability. With my luck they'd say MS only (only a couple of years left to go so not cost-effective if I have to pay myself).

$75 is high for UC.  I make $70, but I am an independent contractor locum.  Not sure what region you are in, but for UC in Texas, around $65/hr as an employee is very close to the top at the UC's around here.  

Archived