Tips for riding a motorcycle to school

It probably sounds ridiculous but I'd like to be able to ride my motorcycle to school comfortably and safely while still being able to dress business casual and look professionally. I was thinking about bringing a change of clothes in a backpack and just changing at school, or maybe bringing a few changes of clothes. I'd like to be able to enjoy the nice weather and have a nice ride back and forth without making things too difficult for myself. Has anyone else done it? Also, before someone asks, it's not something obnoxiously loud like a harley without baffles. Just a 78 honda 400.

Edit: I'm looking for an OEM luggage rack for my books and such too, but advise for riding on a bike without cargo room is welcome too!

I rode to school quite frequently (and luckily still have all my organs!). However, my dress code was very casual so I would just be in jeans and a T-shirt (with a motorcycle jacket and helmet of course). If I had to look professional I would just wear my nice pants and use my motorcycle boots and put my tie and dress shoes and dress shirt in my backpack. My route was all in city so no dirt or crappy roads which made it nice. Plus parking is a lot nicer at a large university with a motorcycle rather than a full size truck! (plus way cheaper on gas). Quite a few of my classmates rode their bicycles daily, they would just bring a change of clothes in their backpacks or keep some dress clothes in their lockers. 

Yeah I'm looking for an oem luggage rack for the bike which is difficult when it's 38 years old. The books and laptop will make things a bit harder.

I've considered some wear over your cloths protection but that type of stuff offers minimal protection against pavememt. And I like my skin so..

I advise you to use your considerable clinical acumen and scientific knowledge to resolve this question. As a promising young scientist-clinician, this is well within your scope.

Snarky comments are unwelcome. I fail to see how my medical experience relates to motorcycle experience, unless you are trying to say I should not be riding at all due to the risks. Regardless, I am relatively new to riding, and am seeking advice from experienced riders who also work in a professional field. I'm hoping to protect myself the best I can and still look professional when I'm at school or at work. I can put my stuff folded in a backpack, but I'm just trying to see what others with experience have done and what works for them. If you have such experience, I'm all ears.

Are you guys required to wear business casual in the classroom? We're able to choose between that or scrubs, therefore everyone just wears scrubs all the time. If that's an option, it seems like it would be an easy solution.

The only thing I have seen is business casual, including when coming back to the classroom during clinical times. It's hard because honestly I'm not used to professional clothing much to begin with! Ha!

If I can't get a proper luggage rack for it I may try to keep most of my books "electronic" if possible to make transport easier.

Aside from riding the motorcycle - there are times when a change of clothes at school is nice. 

IF your classes, clinicals, etc are in a main location - try to find a place at school to stash some extra clothes.

Our campus was HUGE and we were in 1000 buildings so it was tough. Once I figured out where some lockers were in the hospital - I got one and put my lock on it and kept a fresh pair of scrubs, undies etc in it for the times when being there too long or getting "scooged" as we called it, forced a change of clothes.

You might be able to lighten your daily ride load by stashing some stuff at school if it works. 

We found some super cheap copies of some books and kept them stashed at the main school office - the secretary was open to favors for cookies or coffee.... - that way we kept one book at home and shared the ones we kept at school. Digital sounds much lighter on the back.

If you want a metal luggage rack - hit up a local high school with a tech school and get the kids to weld you one. My husband is an electrician at a school district and has the tech school kids working on stuff for his old truck - he buys the supplies, the teacher is cool with it and they get to be creative and use some skills. Win-win

Good luck - hope the weather holds out and you will be spending a whole lot less on gas than me.

My biggest suggestion is get the kindle on your laptop and buy the majority of your books on that. Get a nice sturdy backpack. Mine saved my spine in a motorcycle wreck back just after undergrad. Get a nice pair of riding boots that can look business casual so you don't have to bring a change of shoes. By some wrinkle free shirts and khakis to stuff in your back pack, or you can buy a pair of business casual looking 5.11 pants as well. Get a good lock for your helmet so you can just lock it on the bike. You'll get tired of carrying it around. I know your bike's old, but a good lockable luggage rack makes a big difference too. 

One suggestion I have is to see if you really need those books in the first place. Get the essential books and get them electronically. I only bought 3 books for the entirety of PA school (every instructor recommended one but they were really just overkill), there are so many reference websites out there now and you likely have access to all the major journals through your school that the books are really not needed, but that is how I learned and I know everyone learns differently. 

Good suggestions on the book and custom luggage rack.  I guess ill keep a few changes in a locker and swap out with a backpack, but ill have to play it by ear and see how my routine goes. I'd also like to hit the school gym after class.

I am just being sarcastic... No offense intended... There are risks to riding a motorcycle but if you want to ride that is fine... To make amends for my perceived snarkiness, I suggest the following: wear a backpack with your professional clothes and change in the bathroom. Best wishes my friend

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

It probably sounds ridiculous but I'd like to be able to ride my motorcycle to school comfortably and safely while still being able to dress business casual and look professionally. I was thinking about bringing a change of clothes in a backpack and just changing at school, or maybe bringing a few changes of clothes. I'd like to be able to enjoy the nice weather and have a nice ride back and forth without making things too difficult for myself. Has anyone else done it? Also, before someone asks, it's not something obnoxiously loud like a harley without baffles. Just a 78 honda 400.

Edit: I'm looking for an OEM luggage rack for my books and such too, but advise for riding on a bike without cargo room is welcome too!

AGATT all gear all the time, I have a 2013 600RR and I carry a small foldable recyclable bag to put my knee pads, textile jacket gloves and helmet in! better to wear gear and sweat than bleed. :)

Archived