Anyone attending LMU DMS this fall?

While I understand many people on this forum are not a fan of this program, it still intrigues me. I'm curious if anyone is attending this fall, which I believe is when the first class is matriculating. I've noticed they seem to have removed the EM, FM, IM, or education track for a just a pure educational or clinical track. Would like to hear your experiences.

One of my preceptors (a PA who had been practicing for ~15 years) applied and was admitted, but then pulled out when he learned the total cost was $113,000 and that isn't counting travel expenses for the on-site curriculum. I think he ended up going with an Education doctorate that was about 1/3 the cost.

Speaking as a current PA student I can't see the benefit unless it is truly an accredited PA->MD bridge program. I've looked through and read the entire curriculum they have posted and it seems to completely repeat the existing PA medical education.

Looking at Med school curriculum on the surface would look like a repeat. It's all about depth. Further, there will never be a true PA to MD bridge that is less than 3 years. That's beside the purpose of this topic though.

One of my preceptors (a PA who had been practicing for ~15 years) applied and was admitted, but then pulled out when he learned the total cost was $113,000 and that isn't counting travel expenses for the on-site curriculum. I think he ended up going with an Education doctorate that was about 1/3 the cost.

Oh really? Didn't realize it was all on site. Also interesting as they list the entire cost as half that. Thanks for the info

The web site says

• What is the cost?

Tuition for the entire program is $48,000. See the Tuition / Financial Aid section for more details.

It shows $785 per credit hour

Also states the majority is taught online.

This was my understanding as well which is why I was surprised.

The Lynchburg program could be interesting, but I'll reserve judgement until I see a curriculum. I see they are focusing on policy and education. I'm looking for something that will add to my clinical practice.

• 2 weeks later...

While I understand many people on this forum are not a fan of this program, it still intrigues me. I'm curious if anyone is attending this fall, which I believe is when the first class is matriculating. I've noticed they seem to have removed the EM, FM, IM, or education track for a just a pure educational or clinical track. Would like to hear your experiences.

Are you interested in going there? I thought you were already a PA-C.

Are you interested in going there? I thought you were already a PA-C.

I was intrigued, but I can't attend for quite some time due to my military contract. More interested if it's gaining traction or if it's going to be a dud. It's not an entry level program, nor is it even inside the PA program. It's a doctorate put on by the medical school for PAs who've been in practice for at least 3 years. Let me know if I can clarify anything else for you, Tim.

I talked to somebody there about what the program is actually about. It is not purely an educational tract despite how it may seem. In fact the purpose of it is to provide doctors for family medicine in rural areas. Tennessee is all for it, other states who knows. Upon graduation you are a Doctor and may practice independently, depending on what your state allows. In theory a residency for specialty work could be done.

I talked to somebody there about what the program is actually about. It is not purely an educational tract despite how it may seem. In fact the purpose of it is to provide doctors for family medicine in rural areas. Tennessee is all for it, other states who knows. Upon graduation you are a Doctor and may practice independently, depending on what your state allows. In theory a residency for specialty work could be done.

While I believe they are working towards this, I don't think it's the case yet. Legislation is still being pursued. If that does come to pass, I'd be highly interested.

This is really interesting! I'll look forward to seeing this published somewhere. My opinion, as of now, is that the MD/DO is the ultimate clinical doctorate but that there needs to be some sort of a bridge to allow more experienced PAs the ability to grow their practice, autonomy, reimbursement, etc. without destroying the 'mid-level' option. Wow, I think I have to go wash my mouth out now... 

Archived