I'm a 3rd time re-applicant and am beyond nervous

The first time I applied, I was a junior in college and I was still between PA and MD. I still had multiple pre-reqs to take for PA school, didn't have any PCE, and I hadn't taken the GRE. I applied to 4 schools without doing much research, got an interview date for one school, but declined. 

The second time I applied, I only had 3 outstanding courses to take (A&P series and Medical terminology) and I had taken the GRE (but my score wasn't good because I didn't prepare for it). Still no PCE. I applied to 16 schools (yeah I know), really, really late in the cycle because one of my schools cancelled my transcript order without telling me, so my CASPA wasn't verified until October 13. I have been rejected from most schools and haven't heard back from the rest.

I want to do it right this time because I want to finally start and I've spent too much money on this process. I can't handle any more rejections. I started working directly with developmentally disabled individuals in January and will have gained close to 500 hours by the time I apply, which isn't a lot but I'll be sure to tell schools that it's a continuing thing. I re-took the GRE and while my score improved, my mind wasn't focused so it still wasn't a good score, I'm going to take it one more time. I plan on sending everything into CASPA no later than the first week of May and I'll be on top of transcript orders this time. I will also have completed all outstanding pre-reqs.

I'm so nervous because what if I don't get invited for interviews again. It was a shock getting invited the first time I applied, and due to the late submission last time, of course I got denied from everywhere. But I'm worried that my interview skills will lack due to my nerves (should I even be invited to interview this time).

The schools that I'm applying to are not based on rolling-admissions. I know I should throw one in there just to be safe, but I have my eyes set on 2 specific programs. Would you guys recommend putting in a rolling admission program? I already narrowed my list of schools down to 10 schools, but I can swap one of the schools out for a rolling-based one or just add one in.

You really need more HCE.  As a third time applicant, you should have accrued several thousand hours by now.

My only advice is to not apply to schools you've applied at before since it doesn't sound like much improvement has been made in your app year after year aside from meeting minimum requirements.  You realistically had little to no chance your first year, and not much better the second - yes it's ok to have outstanding pre-reqs (but sometimes only 2 not 3) but A&P is a big one and a lot of schools won't take a chance on someone who they aren't sure knows a very integral part of being a PA.  Also, no HCE didn't do you any favors.  Those factors alone should have given you pause about applying.

Even schools that don't advertise rolling admissions still start reviewing apps in the summer and offering interviews before their deadline (and usually a few acceptances), just fyi.  

• Administrator

Why are you applying unprepared?  This isn't a lottery, where everyone has the same, remote chance to get in--there are applicants who are shoo-ins, people who are on the borderline, and people who have no chance anywhere.  If you're in the last group, and nothing in my review of your post suggests otherwise, then you're just wasting your time and money.  The money you spent before?  It's gone, and it's not going to help that you're a third-time applicant, and there's a possibility it might even hurt.

Get used to rejection.  If you succeed in becoming a PA, some days you're going to have one patient call you all sorts of nasty names, then need to put on a brave face and go into the next exam room to comfort another patient who's dealing with something that you don't remotely care about, but it matters to that patient very, very deeply.  There's a lot of emotional fortitude needed in this job, and while I understand the frustration with getting in, I can assure you that if you take the time and do it right, you can learn to make a difference in people's lives, and THAT will have been worth every frustration and rejection you've gotten so far, and much more.

I agree with Rev. From your post, it doesn't seem to me you've taken applying particularly seriously at all. I wouldn't even consider the first two attempts actually applying since you did so without being qualified or aware of the qualifications, so it was more of a "see what the process is like" attempts than any actual effort to get into school. It still doesn't sound like you have a hard grasp on what your programs will be looking for so it seems unclear to me that you've done any serious research into the programs you are applying to, otherwise you'd be aware that all schools are basically on rolling admission, or that you are not anywhere near the required HC experience for most programs.

I advise a hard stop and taking a serious and thoughtful look at your qualifications and then deciding whether PA school is really for you. If you decide yes, than you should take at least a year off from applying, if not more, and get your qualifications on par with what your programs will look for, and then submit a strong application down the road with full confidence in yourself to charge ahead.

If you will be applying with less than 500 hours HCE, there is a problem. If you have been on the pre-PA path for three years and will have less than 500 hours HCE, there is a real problem.

I don't know if your work with the developmentally disabled will count for HCE. Even if it does, is it high quality HCE? I have doubts.

You know how much applying costs, you've paid for it twice now. Save this year's money, work good quality HCE full time for a year, and you will be MUCH more competitive.

If you will be applying with less than 500 hours HCE, there is a problem. If you have been on the pre-PA path for three years and will have less than 500 hours HCE, there is a real problem.

I don't know if your work with the developmentally disabled will count for HCE. Even if it does, is it high quality HCE? I have doubts.

You know how much applying costs, you've paid for it twice now. Save this year's money, work good quality HCE full time for a year, and you will be MUCH more competitive.

Hi,

Is volunteering in hospital at different departments and shadowing a doctor counts toward HCE?

Thanks a lot!

• Administrator

Is volunteering in hospital at different departments and shadowing a doctor counts toward HCE?

Volunteering, maybe.  Varies from school to school, and may depend on volunteer duties.

Shadowing is not volunteering, and it's tracked separately on CASPA applications.

As others have said, you application is lacking.

You are about to graduate or just graduated undergrad. Get a CNA or EMT job, slave for a year or two and reapply. I know it feels like you HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW but if you just graduated undergrad you have plenty of time to get yourself together. (If you are 50 years old...well....)

You shouldn't have applied the first two times because you don't even meet the minimum criteria for most programs in terms of healthcare experience.  If you don't meet minimum requirements, your application goes into trash.

My suggestion to you is not to apply this year because 500 is minimum for some schools, but most schools like to see near 2000 hours. You can easily explain why you didn't have any healthcare experience. Most people cannot have healthcare experience when they are in undergrad and colleges know that. There is a reason why the average age for accepted PA students is 26.

IMO, you don't have high quality healthcare experience. Working with disabled individuals is great and may qualify as other healthcare experience, but I am not sure if it qualifies as direct patient care experience because most schools want you to do something where you are having physical contact with the patient (i.e, taking vitals, drawing blood, performing EKG, etc). Therefore, I highly recommend that you take a EMT, MA, or CNA course and get at least 1000 hours before you even think about applying again. Good Luck!

Archived