MEDEX Applicants 2016-2017

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

@JLM28- I interviewed on a Saturday last year and I received my rejection letter the following Friday....right before my first 12 hour night shift in the ED...talk about a long night shift.

@MA2PA2016- congratulations on getting the criteria met! I see you are a MA! I am as well. What area of medicine do you work in? I am in the ED, but my background is in Family Practice. I got the application criteria met a few weeks after I submitted everything in July. I wish you both luck in this process.

@titanicjo and anybody else wondering about the PNW-specificity of the program...I am a soon to graduate second year at MEDEX. I come from Southern California and that is where I will be returning to after school (due to husband's work situation). 

I was asked questions about my desire to relocate during interviews, but I can promise you its worth applying. A good portion of my class came from other areas besides the PNW / WWAMI region, and they do understand that not everyone will stay there after graduation. 

Good luck to everyone applying. I'm always available if people have questions about the program, but keep in mind that I don't have a direct line to the admissions department, so I'm relatively useful for questions like "what's the class load like?" and relatively useless for questions like "what GPA is considered acceptable". :) 

@PaigeClark3- That's a bummer! Hopefully you'll have better luck this year. Which campus did you apply to this time around? I emailed the office to see what information about interview dates they would give me, and they said it would be highly unlikely to hear anything one way or another before September 1. Just like you said :) I'm just so anxious to hear anything. I know everyone must feel this way! At least we only have a few more weeks to wait, im praying!

@JLM28- Thank you I am hoping I do as well! I applied to Spokane as my first choice last year and that is where I interviewed as well. I would recommend doing an activity to keep your mind off on the waiting game such as hiking, reading a book, cleaning, or whatever it is that keeps your mind off the waiting game. Worrying just adds stress which doesn't do anything good for the soul. If it is meant to be it will happen. I keep telling myself it isn't a matter of if, it is a matter of when for me when it comes to becoming a PA. is this your first time applying?

Yes, this is my first time applying. I also picked the Spokane site as my first choice. I've got plenty to keep me busy this summer, it's just that nothing is as exciting as browsing this forum and hoping for an interview invite to show up ????

Regarding the supplemental application, I'm having a hard time stating why I'm choosing the Spokane and Seattle sites. I don't want to simply say it's because out of 4, three programs offer masters and of the three, Anchorage is for current or future residents. Is there something I'm missing? There isn't really a difference in training sites that I saw, just the difference in clinical sites, right? Are we supposed to answer relating to geographical location also? 

Some folks might choose the outlying campuses (Anchorage, Spokane) because of its direct location and the fact that it qualifies as a medically underserved area by the HRSA. Some folks may want to stay in the area upon completion of the program to provide medical care in the areas that need providers the most. I don't think it hurts to mention it if it is the closest campus to family or support system either. Hope this helps :-) I wasn't at one of the outlying sites but that was some of the things I mentioned when I applied.

Graduate in 8 days!

-Tacoma class 2

I agree with EMSGuy in the supplemental. There are some differences between the campuses, and I think "mission fit" is definitely one of them. I applied to Seattle first choice because I knew I wanted to work in urban environments when I graduated (next week!!!). And I mentioned that in my supplemental. 

I agree with EMSGuy in the supplemental. There are some differences between the campuses, and I think "mission fit" is definitely one of them. I applied to Seattle first choice because I knew I wanted to work in urban environments when I graduated (next week!!!). And I mentioned that in my supplemental.

Just throwing this out there... :-)

post-104816-0-27979100-1471324846_thumb.png

I am in ktcan10's class.  I applied to the Seattle site because I want to work with people with developmental disabilities, and was already connected to the network of services for this population in the Seattle area.  It's entirely fine if you don't have a strong preference though.

I am in ktcan10's class.  I applied to the Seattle site because I want to work with people with developmental disabilities, and was already connected to the network of services for this population in the Seattle area.  It's entirely fine if you don't have a strong preference though.

Agreed. If you are mobile and don't have a preference, they will likely place you with the class whose personality you "gel" with the most. They work hard to craft a group of people who can work as a team for two years and will likely work well together. 

This is not an argument for NOT expressing a preference on the chance that it will increase your odds of getting accepted, but rather meant to soothe worried minds about selecting yourself out of admission. 

And PS: I graduate in two days. It is doable. You can do it. And although you probably feel a trillion miles away from graduation right now, you will be there before you know it. And you will (likely) never miss those days of prerequisites / interviews / didactic year / clinical year, but one day you will sit back and look back on those tiny victories with amazement. 

Plod on, friends. 

Archived