I took the GRE twice and don't know if the scores will require me to take it a third time

The first time I took the GRE, I got a 284, but I didn't study for it.

I just took it again today and I studied this time, but a lot of personal stuff has come up and my mind has been elsewhere. I scored 9 points higher and got a 293, but that still doesn't even cut it at the 50th percentile. 

I don't know my writing score yet.

The school I'm dying to get into requires at least a score in the 50th percentile, but I spoke with them and a few friends who are in the program and the program is thinking of getting rid of the GRE all together, so it's not weighed heavily.

I do not want to drop another $200+ on this test, as I would rather save that cash for the application process, but I would be angry with myself if my top choice didn't even look at me because I didn't make the cut on this test.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My suggestion would be take it again, and study more. If you don't meet the minimum, you don't meet the minimum. Don't give a program an easy reason to move onto the other thousand applications they are sorting through.

I know it is expensive and stressful but so is paying all those application fees to be passed over.

Two ways to look at this in my opinion.  $200 to retake the GRE, maybe you score better, maybe you don't.

Don't retake it, apply.  Maybe your dream schools looks at your app, maybe they don't.  Maybe you get an interview but don't get in for other reasons.  Maybe you get in somewhere else and decide any PA school is better than no PA school.  

If you don't get into your dream school, will you reapply the next year?  If so, that's easily another $200, too.  Either way, you could potentially be putting up an extra $200 by either taking the GRE now or having to apply another year (and potentially still retaking the GRE).

If you're okay going to another school, then apply.  Personally, I'd retake the GRE as a lot of schools will use it simply as a filter - it may not be weighed heavily, but sometimes it's the ticket to having your app looked at.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. You must retake the GRE because many schools will use it as a filter because they get so many applicants. If your dream school requires 50% minimum, they are still using it for this cycle. It may not weigh as heavily, but that is assuming that you have met the minimum. If you use the Kaplan book and Magoosh flashcards should be able to get 300.

I'm not convinced that studying helps appreciably on any standardized test.

Anecdotally, I have to disagree. I studied and took practice tests through the Kaplan book. After a long break in school, my first practice test showed a score in the mid-200's. After a few weeks of practice and study, my last practice test showed 312. Actual GRE score was 316.

Without the practice and study, I believe the mid-200 score would have been a good predictor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So if you dont suggest studying, what would be your suggestion? Just reapply?

I improved my GRE verbal from 700 in 1992 to 760 in 2008 after three years of graduate school, a year each of Greek and Hebrew, writing professionally as part of multiple jobs, and 16 years of reading for pleasure. I've never taken a standardized test "prep" class in my life, just taken tests multiple times as needed.  I took the SATs six times, yearly starting in 7th grade as part of a youth talent search program, as well as PSATs twice, ACT 3x, and in each case I scored well, such that when the GRE rolled around a few years later it was a very familiar test with very familiar outcomes.  (first: 700v/800m/800a, second: 760v, 800m, 5.5aw)

Archived