Career Day Talk

I was invited to give a 10 minute talk to the undergrads at my school. When I decided to become a PA I poured over every resource I could find (including this forum). My question, then, is what should I make sure to mention to undergrads who need some extra guidance? What hints do you wish you would have received 1-3 years before CASPA?

Thanks for the feedback.

Honestly, just be real about what a PA does, how they fit into the healthcare system (yay autonomy!  Not a nurse! Not an MA!), and what it takes to get there (HCE, shadowing, etc).  Granted it's been 10 years, but I didn't even know what a PA was when I was in undergrad.  I didn't know the profession existed.

Or I guess if this is to pre-pas maybe?  Take a lot of science courses, start shadowing, tell them what good HCE is - basically any question that pops up on the pre-PA forum repeatedly.

I wished I knew more about the application process and all the small logistics such as completion vs verification vs submission. Also, how essential it is to apply as early as possible. How you should ask for LORs even earlier so the writer has time to submit it to CASPA early in the cycle. How you should not apply unless you know you're 110% ready because it's just a waste of money

I definitely say it depends on the audience and meeting them where they are at. Are these students who are undecided as to possible future careers? If so, talk up the profession - what PAs do, how are they different from other careers in medicine, etc. Are these students already set on a pre-PA type of track and need guidance on how they should focus themselves for the next few years to be strong applicants? If so talk about shadowing, hands-on PCE, etc. Are these students who are currently gearing up to actually apply? If so, talk up your school, the app process, etc. Maybe the people organizing the talk can give you a pulse on the type of students attending, because if these are people who haven't even decided on PA, you don't want to bog them down with CASPA stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I got email today further explaining the career day event. I am slated in a section of the event subtitled "getting into graduate or professional programs." Here is an excerpt from the department head: Please discuss the preparation and application process of applying Physician Assistant Programs. Please also introduce the career as a Physician Assistant based on what you know.

If it were me, I would start off by describing what a PA does and how important it is for anyone -- applying to PA school or not -- to have a really good idea about what to expect. That is a great platform to discuss the healthcare experience and routes to getting it. The prereqs -- which obviously vary program-to-program -- can be taken as part of one's undergrad program, or later, in the evening, community college, or in post-bacs. 

Being in healthcare is a noble ambition, and lots of people have expectations, not all of which are accurate.

The best thing you could leave with them is an understanding of the requirements and the very real benefits of getting HCE as soon as you can. Not just to check a box on an application, but to be sure that you are setting out in the right direction in the first place.

Archived