Advice to new PA-C's

This information is worth its weight in gold. but I hae a question I just passed the PANCE and feel confused. I got a job offer from my preceptor and he hired me as a independent contractor he is willing to put me on payroll for 1,000 a month so that I could use the 401k. Another thing is that I see 50 plus patients a day and get some teaching. do you think it is worth it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing is that I see 50 plus patients a day and get some teaching. do you think it is worth it?

50+ patients/day? Please, please tell me that this is a typo. As a new grad in the ED the docs and PAs are letting me move at my own pace (thorough and steady) until I learn the system (their time-table for good productivity is 6-12 mos for a newbie). On a busy day (being brand new) I might see a dozen or so in an 8 hour shift in a ED that sees approx 85K.

Either I'm woefully inadequate or 50+/day is crazy....I think the teaching is in the excessive volume.

M

50+ patients/day? Please, please tell me that this is a typo. As a new grad in the ED the docs and PAs are letting me move at my own pace (thorough and steady) until I learn the system (their time-table for good productivity is 6-12 mos for a newbie). On a busy day (being brand new) I might see a dozen or so in an 8 hour shift in a ED that sees approx 85K.

Either I'm woefully inadequate or 50+/day is crazy....I think the teaching is in the excessive volume.

M

I work in a facility with similar volume. your speed will definitely increase in time.

in a 10 hr shift I usually see around 25-30 pts of varying acuity.

if I work just fast track I have seen 56 pts in 12 hrs before but more often avg around 35-40 just because there are slow periods during the shift.

50/day is doable if there are no workups and they are all return pts with minor health maint issues(refill bp meds, prostate check, etc).

I work in a facility with similar volume. your speed will definitely increase in time.

in a 10 hr shift I usually see around 25-30 pts of varying acuity.

if I work just fast track I have seen 56 pts in 12 hrs before but more often avg around 35-40 just because there are slow periods during the shift.

50/day is doable if there are no workups and they are all return pts with minor health maint issues(refill bp meds, prostate check, etc).

That is good to hear. I know volume will come with time but I didn't know how to read meemeepa's post. Brand new PA- 50+ per/day? I hope there were some time tables applied to her offer. In a 2 month FP clerkship, I kept up with a 30-35 pt/day pace. My struggle in the ED is not seeing the patient or the medicine, it is trying to understand the system processes. I lose a huge amount of time just figuring out how to order tests, films, meds, in the EMR. Everyone in my shop says, 6 weeks and you'll be a pro (system/processes). A couple of years and you'll be on your game with much more to learn.

50+ just scared me.

M

I Know I feel like I am overwhelmed. The clinic is a family practice clinic and I see some OB/GYN and alot of STD. I am not sure what to do. I barely get a lunch break and come home exhausted. Somedays are a lot less like 20-30 which I have learned to cherish. I have classmates that tell me I should leave and find a job where I can see less patients but some tell me that it will be more beneficial if I stay and learn how to handle alot of patients?

That seems really excessive. As a new grad I don't know how you can do it, without putting yourself at risk somewhat. As a new grad you aren't fine tuned enough (I know I'm not anyways) where you have experience on your side helpimng guide your decisions. I think I would feel extremely overwhelmed too. I am looking at afamily practice job right now and they said i will start with 6-7 pts a day and work my way up to 25-35 with lots of guidance. :/ I think I'd lose my mind with the patient load you ahve as a new grad.

• 2 weeks later...
This information is worth its weight in gold. but I hae a question I just passed the PANCE and feel confused. I got a job offer from my preceptor and he hired me as a independent contractor he is willing to put me on payroll for 1,000 a month so that I could use the 401k. Another thing is that I see 50 plus patients a day and get some teaching. do you think it is worth it?

HELLO!! $1000/month is $12/year - I assume this is a typo and you mean $1000/week for $52k/year...... AS AND INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR!! (which is about a 20-30% pay decrease from an employee)

I have been out for 6 years and started at 55k year and that is in an area that does not pay the PA's well (monopoly health care system by one hospital). Check out the most recent www.aapa.org data and stastics. I hate to be harsh, but you are an idiot if you accepted a full time job for $52/k a year no matter how many patients you see a day. New grads need to stick to their guns and shoot for atleast what the new grad rate was for the previous year (as reported by AAPA) othewise you just undermine not only your own payscale, but also every other PA out there!!

As for the 50 patients a day - that is insane and merely a lawsuit in the making - run far away from your current job if the description you provided is true and accurate. I would suggest no more the2-3 patients an hour for the first 6 months as a personal goal, then increase from there. But the most I have ever seen in a 12 hour urgent care setting was 43 (stupid busy) and in an out patient setting 29 in 8 hours. If your preceptor is thinking that you are getting a good education (not exposure, but education) he/she is off their rocker. :eek:

I saw this post awhile ago (busy week, couldn't write sooner) and had to ask:

is he ONLY offering you $1,000/month to see 50 pts (ouch)/day, or is this extra money he's offering you to strictly go into a 401K?

I'm sure if you went through PA school you can do math....so if $1,000/month is $12,000/year....how would you even begin to think that 12K/yr is an appropriate salary for ANY job, much less one where you have to see 50 pts/day? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I am 1 year out and if I see 20-30 pts/day I consider it a VERY busy shift! :eek:

Hey,

I think I didnt explain fully when I said I am on payroll for 1000 just to recieve 401k but I earn $87,000 a year as an independent contractor. When I first started I earned $78,000. Anyways I totally see a lot of patients but now I only work in that clinic 3 days a week and 2 days at the other clinic where I see maybe 10-15 so that the Doctor and I can balance the workload. Yeah I maybe new but not an idoit there is no way on this earth that i would accept 52,000 a year for what I do .

Anyways thanks for the concern:)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey,

I think I didnt explain fully when I said I am on payroll for 1000 just to recieve 401k but I earn $87,000 a year as an independent contractor. When I first started I earned $78,000. Anyways I totally see a lot of patients but now I only work in that clinic 3 days a week and 2 days at the other clinic where I see maybe 10-15 so that the Doctor and I can balance the workload. Yeah I maybe new but not an idoit there is no way on this earth that i would accept 52,000 a year for what I do .

Anyways thanks for the concern:)

So, as an independent contractor, your pay is based on the billing?

• 8 months later...

I am a new grad and I have been looking for work for months now. I have applied everywhere and for everything, and have had only 3 job interviews. I am trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong, or if the downward trend in the economy is starting to influence the hiring of PA’s.

I have had my CV looked over by a recruiter and my former program both have said it looks excellent. I have glowing LOR’s and references. I am willing to relocate. My bills are growing and I am starting to worry if I am going to find work before my post grad deferment ends.

I live in Eastern Washington, and am looking for work in Western Washington too.

Any Advice would be appreciated. I am about to put my application in at starbucks.. or anywhere else I can just to start working. If things stay like this, I see myself looking at becoming bankrupt…

Thanks

Don't limit yourself to one area. Use the Washington state PA association for job leads, along with the AAPA site. Check with some of the military bases for contract work, or the www.usajobs.gov site for government jobs. The military is also a good option....

Thanks I have tried that too, as well at the prison system, which I had been told is on a “hiring freeze”…

Besides saving for retirement I would also add to make sure you know what things you need from your hospital, clinic, whatever, to practice efficiently. I thought my prescription pads, computer codes, billing codes, scheduling, and badging would be taken care of before my first day of work. Unfortunately most were not. It took me 4-6 weeks to get everything taken care of. So go over your to do list and make sure you take the preverbial bull by the horns and take care of this yourself or communicate with your department so that you can step in on day one and be at least somewhat productive

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my 7th interview with the same company, this has been going on for almost 9 months. I just found out that they are going to hire back somone who worked in the dept before...:confused::confused::confused: So here I go starting from the first step, and my student loans come due next mo, and were 500 short every mo for bills, I am stressed out.....:eek:

Just had my 7th interview with the same company, this has been going on for almost 9 months. I just found out that they are going to hire back somone who worked in the dept before...:confused::confused::confused: So here I go starting from the first step, and my student loans come due next mo, and were 500 short every mo for bills, I am stressed out.....:eek:

good God, I hope not 7 interviews for the same job??!!?? or different jobs in the same company?? that's crazy. I would have moved waaaay before interview number 3.

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in but you have to search out the practices you want to work in and be pro-active about asking for jobs. search the hospital websites for their career center. always apply to many, many jobs at the same time and get bunches of interviews going. don't appear desperate -- make it like YOU are interviewing THEM (which you are).

this is all I have time for now but PM me if needed, or post a bit more detail.

• 3 weeks later...

rookiejay i am a recent graduate who just found a job and my loan payments were due. I just called the loan company and asked for a deferrement as I did not have a job yet. all i had to do was send in a letter and I could deffer it for a few months. Try doing that you might be able to buy some time.

• 6 months later...
Guest johnnyd29

Admittedly, there is more to life than accumulating wealth for retirement. Life has so many variables that we often forget to live for today. I see people so hung-up on the miniscule changes in their investments that they are no fun to be around. I'd rather live simply and gracefully surrounded by those I care for and who care for me -- and to continue to contribute, in some small way, to life's greater purpose.

Agree. Sometimes it is tough to make "plans". My cousin (best friend) died suddently in a car wreck. He was 33. Save for retirement, yes, but don't stress about weather or not you are going to retire rich.

Live rich, don't die rich.

Hi,

I have a Family Practice job interview in Tampa, FL this week and I'm unsure of how much of a salary is appropriate for this area of practice. There is minimal call, however occasional weekends and 9-10 hour days M-F. I have done some research and found that last year the average new grad made around $75K in FP. Any input?

thanks in advance.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest New Grad PA-C

Hi everyone! Please help me out!:confused:

(I know this is not a write place to post but I don't know how to post a new thread and I see all the experts here)

I was graduated in Aug 2009 and got my certification. I am attending some job interviews. I have a offer in my hands. The job is to take care of lung transplant patients on Friday, Sat & Sunday 12hr/day i.e;36hrs/week. During the interview (3 months ago), when I asked them I am interested to involve in the surgeries too, they said they are ready to take me to help transplant surgeries if they need me. I thought its really cool:cool: to help the transplant surgeries and I can have some work during the weekdays so thought about taking that job. Recently the HR called me and offered $57,000 with full time benefits. I know its going to be challenging and I have to put my weekends to work.:rolleyes: So I said no to that offer and then they called me and said I will be considered as an "Exempt" employee and so they are willing to increase 10% salary which in total is around 62,500. They said because I am going to be an exempt employee,:D I am not going to be paid overtime:mad: or any hourly salary even if I work in the weekends.

Can some one write me your opinion about this job offer and can you give more details about the exempt employee.

Thank you:)

New Grad PA-C

Hi everyone! Please help me out!:confused:

(I know this is not a write place to post but I don't know how to post a new thread and I see all the experts here)

I was graduated in Aug 2009 and got my certification. I am attending some job interviews. I have a offer in my hands. The job is to take care of lung transplant patients on Friday, Sat & Sunday 12hr/day i.e;36hrs/week. During the interview (3 months ago), when I asked them I am interested to involve in the surgeries too, they said they are ready to take me to help transplant surgeries if they need me. I thought its really cool:cool: to help the transplant surgeries and I can have some work during the weekdays so thought about taking that job. Recently the HR called me and offered $57,000 with full time benefits. I know its going to be challenging and I have to put my weekends to work.:rolleyes: So I said no to that offer and then they called me and said I will be considered as an "Exempt" employee and so they are willing to increase 10% salary which in total is around 62,500. They said because I am going to be an exempt employee,:D I am not going to be paid overtime:mad: or any hourly salary even if I work in the weekends.

Can some one write me your opinion about this job offer and can you give more details about the exempt employee.

Thank you:)

New Grad PA-C

what part of PA are you looking at jobs in? is it uber-rural, like appalachia? (of course I don't know any uber-rural appalachian towns that are setting up transplant centers....they might need 'em in coal mining country but I doubt they have the dough).

salary wise, you're getting robbed, FT work (36-40 hrs) on weekends (can they spell differential?) in a critical surg specialty = (ka-ching) 82K out of the box, AT A MINIMUM. you should ask them where they got their numbers from.

you're basically doing theor weekend call coverage for them, too -- has that dolar amount been figured into the salary? docs here usually get $675/day to take weekend call (then they send in the PA at 2.25 an hour and go off to the golf course...) :O

that is outrageous. I would laugh in their faces. truly.

Archived