Market Saturation---Direct Contact Health Care Experience Advice Needed

Hey guys,

I'm currently completing my prerequisites and shadowing a PA in an ER in NYC. I volunteered as patient feeder last summer, and I will be nearing graduation soon so I am trying to get a paid position near pretty much anything that has a vaguely medical connotation (mostly receptionist/unit clerk positions in hospitals that can allow internal transfers). I have considered taking a CNA or EMT-B course but I kind of shy away from courses like that after being burned by a 500 dollar phlebotomy course that was completely useless because you need experience to get any kind of position. My dilemma is, how do you get a position like that when the market is completely saturated with people who have more experience or the same amount of skills as you? What's especially discouraging is some schools now require that you have paid health care experience.

My prior employment record kind of sucks, mostly off the books waitress positions, retail, a short lived receptionist position and an unreliable social services contracting job. I am desperate and would greatly appreciate advice! Thank you.

I have found that physical therapy aide position, is considered direct hands on.......requires no prior experience probably only preferred if you have.........and you can find one full time a lot easier now than when i started. It seems that yes the market is saturated and with less job opps, but a P/T aide is something i have been doing for some years now and still currently. You can get trained, and is exactly how i got started, upon an interview i would be more apt to emphasize my interest in the healthcare field, but mentioning a possible want to become a physical therapist. Many pt's that own these clinics will be more willing to hire a young student that is interested in that specific line of work. Whether or not you said I'm undecided still, or you want to simply lie, is up to you. After having personal training experience in a nursing home, coupled with 2 years prior experience as an aide, when i came back from school and looked for another HCE job i found nothing, and P/t aide was all that was left........AND i finally noticed the two interviews i went on i didnt get the job, even though i know i nailed it and i had everything they were looking for. Why didnt i get it? I figured cuz i kept saying i want to go to school for PA. I got the aide job now by saying I'm torn between the two, now if they ask I'm like yea PT isn't for me..PA all the way! BTW live out in long island, so i understand you dilemma at least some what finding a job.

^ I was a PT aide for 8 years before starting PA school. It was flexible while I was in college, I got to transfer between outpatient adult, peds, inpatient, within a large healthcare system. Saw everything... from the common to the super weird and clinically interesting. No prior experience, just a willingness to learn on the job and a complete lack of concern over other peoples' bodily fluids. Call the hospital nearest you and ask them if they have that position - not every place does. If you get an interview, be enthusiastic about healthcare. When I started out it was just a job, but I knew I wanted to work with people and I think that was obvious to them.

I just got my CNA certificate and it is HARD to find a job in a facility/hospital. Most places nowadays have RNs do all aspects of patient care, whereas CNAs used to do most of the basic care in the past, all because of cost containment. The hospitals that do hire CNAs usually want at least 1 yr+ in an acute setting, most CNA classes train you for a SNF setting. One alternative, if you end up doing the CNA route, is to do home health for a few months and then try to get a CNA job in a facility that way. Or you could find a back office assistant job, one that involves patient care. It's almost like a medical assistant job, but without the need for a certificate and training. Some schools will accept that.

edit: My CNA clinical instructor told me the way to get jobs is connections. Everything is about connections in the medical field. Even if you don't have the required years of experience, if you've got the right connections, you've got a job.

I work as a CNA in a hospital. I had to work in food services for a year before getting a CNA job even after I was certified. You definitely have to put in time or get experience before you can get hired at a hospital. I love my job though and it is definitely hands on patient care! I would look into PT aid or I would go the EMT route (although those jobs are hard to get too). If you have already taken a phlebotomy course you could look into volunteering at a free clinic to get experience- I volunteered as a phlebotomist at a free clinic without even having taken a phlebotomy course. Or look into plasma donation centers to get phlebotomy experience. . .

I work as a CNA in a hospital. I had to work in food services for a year before getting a CNA job even after I was certified. You definitely have to put in time or get experience before you can get hired at a hospital. I love my job though and it is definitely hands on patient care! I would look into PT aid or I would go the EMT route (although those jobs are hard to get too). If you have already taken a phlebotomy course you could look into volunteering at a free clinic to get experience- I volunteered as a phlebotomist at a free clinic without even having taken a phlebotomy course. Or look into plasma donation centers to get phlebotomy experience. . .

Agreed, the hierarchy in a hospital is a slow climb. I have definitely looked into volunteering at free clinics to gain phlebotomy experience, and I don't know if its a New York thing but a lot of places wouldn't let a volunteer touch a patient at all, let alone draw their blood. The closest thing I've encountered to getting that kind of access to patients is a job at planned parent hood that required nothing but a high school diploma...unfortunately I've not heard back from them.

You can always go a more formal route and get into an allied health program...CLS/MLS, RT, nuke tech, imaging, etc. and you'll have no problem getting a job and racking up that valuable HCE.

I've considered it; I'm terribly eager to work. I might have to eventually. I'm a little bit school fatigued though. I'm already a super senior with about 5 more PA pre-req classes to go and I don't think I can afford a year/two year program after I'm out. I was hoping that my next biggest expense would be PA school itself.

I just got my CNA certificate and it is HARD to find a job in a facility/hospital. Most places nowadays have RNs do all aspects of patient care, whereas CNAs used to do most of the basic care in the past, all because of cost containment. The hospitals that do hire CNAs usually want at least 1 yr+ in an acute setting, most CNA classes train you for a SNF setting. One alternative, if you end up doing the CNA route, is to do home health for a few months and then try to get a CNA job in a facility that way. Or you could find a back office assistant job, one that involves patient care. It's almost like a medical assistant job, but without the need for a certificate and training. Some schools will accept that.

edit: My CNA clinical instructor told me the way to get jobs is connections. Everything is about connections in the medical field. Even if you don't have the required years of experience, if you've got the right connections, you've got a job.

This is definitely what I'm currently discovering! I did do some research and I found a free HHA program at a hospital that provides you with a job (usually) after, so perhaps this is the most appropriate route.

I started in home healthcare after a 3 week CNA course, then got a job as a MA on a Psych Emergency Service after 10 months experience in home healthcare. Agree with those who said start in food service at the hospital (many hospitals give preference when hiring to internal applicants) or get into home care for a start.

Working in food service I was delivering meals to the patients and helping with their dietary needs. It wasn't the most hands on care, but while I was putting in my time to get a CNA position I was still getting patient contact. Maybe see if any local hospital have "hosts" or "room service associate" positions. It's an easier position to get and could lead you to a more hands on position.

Just curious whats everyone opinion on EMT-B job market? I was considering doing this, until i came to my senses about the likelihood of actually getting a job after getting the certification. Ive decided to stick with the P/T aide as my HCE, recently trying to get a lowly desk job per diem at a near by hospital just to get my foot in the door at a hospital! So sad these days for real, my gf just out of college gets a $38/hr job part time, makes her own schedule, doing exactly what she wants to get into, no real prior experience, and getting her masters! I don't understand how things work today at all, but good for her, hm? If we all could be so lucky, may be.....world peace?

I volunteered on a patient floor at a hospital. I always offered to help the clinical manager and let her know that I was interested in a job. When one came up, she offered it to me. She knew I could work hard, got along with the staff and was good with the patients so I didn't even have to interview. You never know who your connection will be, so build relationships, get yourself in a medical environment and work hard. Your ambitions will be known and hopefully something will come your way.

Just curious whats everyone opinion on EMT-B job market? I was considering doing this, until i came to my senses about the likelihood of actually getting a job after getting the certification. Ive decided to stick with the P/T aide as my HCE, recently trying to get a lowly desk job per diem at a near by hospital just to get my foot in the door at a hospital! So sad these days for real, my gf just out of college gets a $38/hr job part time, makes her own schedule, doing exactly what she wants to get into, no real prior experience, and getting her masters! I don't understand how things work today at all, but good for her, hm? If we all could be so lucky, may be.....world peace?

hi, just wondering, what does she do and get's paid $38/hr right out of college.

I can say she did have a very impressive resume...finished top of her class in 2 1/2 years with a B.S. Studied abroad, multiple clubs, and internships, and a sorority all through her time in undergrad. But without the experience i was surprised she still go it. To answer your question. She got a job at a Community College in Brooklyn as a Student Adviser. Pretty impressive I must say. I just find it astounding that the pay was so good, and yet I'm struggling to fill the gas tank up in my car with the job opportunities I have as a college grad and various healthcare experiences at an entry level. HAHA, hoping that everything really is for a reason, and it will all fall into place soon enough.

@2full2eat: the EMT-B job market varies by region. Here's some general information.

- the 911 market is often handled by the fire department. If so, you'll have to be a FF as well. If there are part-time jobs available, you have are fair. Full-time jobs have many applicants per position. In fewer places, the 911 market is handled by a 3rd service. Part-time jobs are possible, full-time jobs are hard to come by.

- the non-emergent market (interfacility transfers, etc.) is usually handled by private ambulance companies. Most are local, there are a few large regional or national players. They tend to have significant turn-over, so it's more likely to be able to find PT or in some cases FT employment. Pay can be lower. You'll do way less assessment and treatment, esp. as an EMT-B. If you're on an ALS unit, you'll be driving.

- some hospitals like their ER techs to be EMT's. Near me, there are a fair number of PT openings, but FT is rare.

- some security companies and some jails like their guards to be EMT's. Another possibility. Not a lot of experience to be gained.

Check with each of these kinds of places in your area - the local economy could be different. Good luck.

Nursing homes have a high turnover rate for CNAs. I did that for about three years before I got a job in an ICU, in fact, the first nursing home I worked at paid for my CNA class and I just tested out of the class. Nursing homes may not be as "advanced" as a hospital in terms of care, but it's still great experience as you're able to start working on your bedside manner with the elderly (who can be very difficult to work with) and their family members.

personally, id rather deal with school fatigue than "not moving closer to my ultimate goal" fatigue any day, but thats your decision to make. i took a little more time to get my original bachelors degree as well, and then spun my wheels in a masters degree program for a year. then i ended up wishing i had just done my lab science bachelors program (1 year) instead of spinning the wheels any further. if you think you are a shoe-in for PA school if you just get some entry level patient care as a CNA, then you dont need to look at a program that will get you a career level job while you wait to get into PA school. at this point, only you know what your grades are like, and what your chances are at the schools you want to apply to.

Very true. However, there are other factors that keep me from actually doing it though, like money and not being a career student. It logistically didn't make sense to me to go to school for a year or two, work for another two years or so and then apply to PA school. This being after I completed my prereqs just for PA school. The amount of debt I'd accrue...is something I don't want to think about. You do make a very valid point, and I enjoy taking/hearing advice from those who have been through the process. It's definitely something I will reconsider.

Nursing homes have a high turnover rate for CNAs. I did that for about three years before I got a job in an ICU, in fact, the first nursing home I worked at paid for my CNA class and I just tested out of the class. Nursing homes may not be as "advanced" as a hospital in terms of care, but it's still great experience as you're able to start working on your bedside manner with the elderly (who can be very difficult to work with) and their family members.

This is probably the most likely situation for me. I don't mind where the work is/what I do, all experiences would be incredibly valuable to me. Certainly a good avenue to look into, thank you for sharing.

This is definitely true. My clinicals for CNA and home health aide were spent in a nursing facility and you learn to deal with difficult elderly patients, which'll make it easier for you later on when you start caring for patients of all ages. Elderly patients have this insanely strong iron grip and sometimes it's hard to talk them out of things, particularly when they have dementia. My clinical hours were definitely a valuable experience, so if you choose to do CNA, I'd search for a job in a nursing home setting and work your way up.

I have found that physical therapy aide position, is considered direct hands on.......requires no prior experience probably only preferred if you have.........and you can find one full time a lot easier now than when i started. It seems that yes the market is saturated and with less job opps, but a P/T aide is something i have been doing for some years now and still currently. You can get trained, and is exactly how i got started, upon an interview i would be more apt to emphasize my interest in the healthcare field, but mentioning a possible want to become a physical therapist. Many pt's that own these clinics will be more willing to hire a young student that is interested in that specific line of work. Whether or not you said I'm undecided still, or you want to simply lie, is up to you. After having personal training experience in a nursing home, coupled with 2 years prior experience as an aide, when i came back from school and looked for another HCE job i found nothing, and P/t aide was all that was left........AND i finally noticed the two interviews i went on i didnt get the job, even though i know i nailed it and i had everything they were looking for. Why didnt i get it? I figured cuz i kept saying i want to go to school for PA. I got the aide job now by saying I'm torn between the two, now if they ask I'm like yea PT isn't for me..PA all the way! BTW live out in long island, so i understand you dilemma at least some what finding a job.

That's funny, because I go to Touro College in Bay Shore, Long Island and I was told being a PT Aide does not count. I have that experience, but was told that it would not count for the PA Program. Perhaps I was misinformed...I'll have to talk to someone else from the school then.

Archived