Interview Tips

Guest OnBelay

All the suggestions are to wear a suit and tie to the interview. I'm wondering if any former EMS personnel have ever worn a very spruced up uniform to their interview. In more ways than one -- and I'm not just talking about spending my annual clothing budget on t-shirts at the state EMS conference every year-- it's the best suit I have: It's what I am, why I love medicine, and why I want to continue on and become a PA. I'm as proud wearing that uniform as I was when I wore my Navy blues.

• Upvote 1

Now thats something I would love to see:). That said, most ADCOMs are pretty conservative and old school program directors tend not to have a sense of humor about this type thing; we even have to dress business casual for classes. I went in my $120 suit from Sears and did just fine....

All the suggestions are to wear a suit and tie to the interview. I'm wondering if any former EMS personnel have ever worn a very spruced up uniform to their interview. In more ways than one -- and I'm not just talking about spending my annual clothing budget on t-shirts at the state EMS conference every year-- it's the best suit I have: It's what I am, why I love medicine, and why I want to continue on and become a PA. I'm as proud wearing that uniform as I was when I wore my Navy blues.

Wearing an EMS suit to an interview says you want to stay in EMS... If you want to go to PA school, don't do it.

Go with the advice given on this board. Dark blue or dark grey suit and the appropriate fixings...

G

I'd agree w/kargiver!

You'll stick out at the interview, however I don't feel that would be in a good way. :eek:

I can see your point -- you've got some medical experience --

however, this is a step up not across;

at an interview would be the time to show them that you can be & look professional; like a future PA! Your not interviewing for an EMS job! :rolleyes:

Guest WhoCares

Aww, that's some cool sentiment, GNBA, but they'll be able to see your work experience out on the table in front of them and will most likely have become aware of it before your arrival. I agree that you need to remain professionally dressed in that sort of a professional environment. Go splurge on a nice new suit if you need to. I found a great basic black one at Macy's for around 300. You don't want them to think you're 'quirky'. It could make for a sweet attempt at garnering some smiles tho, if you get a chance to work in the story of what you had considered wearing.

Edited by WhoCares

I understand your pride in EMS; I still keep my P card and ride with an EMS unit, even 2 years out of PA school.

That said: take a deep breath and hopefully the idea to wear a uniform will pass quietly.

You don't need to spend a ton of money; many folks interviewed in a sport jacket, shirt, tie, Dockers, and polished shoes. You will need this outfit multiple times in school anyway, and for interviewing for a job when you graduate.

Good luck!

Hi! I am a former EMT as well and can understand your dilemma to a degree. You are proud of your profession and let me tell you, they took your EMT experience into consideration before selecting you to come -it may even be THE reason you are interviewing. I had a good GPA going in but it wasn't perfect - I believe that my EMT experience was my selling point. I went in with a lot of experience compared to the other students and I am glad of it because I'm not as nervous to see patients or talk to them or draw blood or start IV's which some of my fellow students have never done (we leave for rotations in the next few weeks).

As far as what to wear? A PA that I used to follow in the ER said that he purposely didn't wear a suit because he wanted to stand out. He wore nice pants and a button up shirt with tie. He was right too! The interview groups I have seen since getting in have been a sea of black. If you still want to wear a jacket make sure your undershirt and tie are a different combination (not the standard white shirt). Structure by Express has some really gorgeous combinations that you can get ideas from. Sometimes I will buy a shirt somewhere else and then get the tie at that store. I don't know though - you may need it again as others have mentioned so do what you want of course. I wore a black pinstripe skirt and gray sweater over a white button up (and bright jewelry). Conservative but still different.

Congrats on getting an interview- a lot of people never even get that far!

~Mariah

I'm interviewing on Tuesday (crap, so soon I thought I would have months to prepare!). How detailed is the CV? I was talking to one of the PAs in my office today and she said to bring a resume for sure. I tried researching the CVs and so far what I am finding are things that just look like resumes! Some are a little longer and list details about jobs and such. Well I have only had one serious job (a really IMPORTANT one I have now) and the rest are stupid jobs and a fitness instructor while in college (not very impressive).

Basically I have no idea how to write the CV. I know nothing about them. Should I really have something like this with me? I'm concerned now, I just planned on the resume and transcripts and things like that.

• Upvote 1

A CV is one style of resume, more common in the medical and academic worlds. The CV tends to emphasize publications more than the standard business resume does.

Rather than mess around trying to find a new format, I suggest you just bring your resume. If you don't have one, now is a good time to put one together.

The reasons you should have one with you are: (1) it provides the interviewer with some rapid information about you, (2) it suggests areas he or she can ask questions about, and (3) it is something to remember you by after you leave.

- Given its purpose, the document probably should not be too long. 2 pages is probably a good goal.

- You don't have to say everything about every job you've ever had -- just barebones responsibilities, unless there is something key in the job to what you are applying for now.

- under education, you can briefly list whatever classes are relevant.

Good luck!

Contact your current school. They usually have a whole department geared towards helping students prepare their CV/Resume. My previous school it was associated with the English Department and Career Development. I didnt use their service but knew others who did and they all had some really good comments about what they got out of it. It also has tips to help out with interviews... posture, eye contact, greetings, questions, research the schools history, etc..

Hope that helps..Good Luck!!

Unless you have publications and an extensive work history or a history of teaching classes, just stick with a well designed resume. The CV is very detailed as it is meant to encompass everything you have done whereas the resume is an abbreviated version of you. For PA school interviews, I cannot imagine you will need a CV...

G

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sportystar101

I have a question about interview attire. I am a huge tomboy I guess. I hate skirts, I am completely uncomfortable wearing them. Is it ok to wear a buisiness suite with pants instead of a skirt?

I have a question about interview attire. I am a huge tomboy I guess. I hate skirts, I am completely uncomfortable wearing them. Is it ok to wear a buisiness suite with pants instead of a skirt?

LOL If Hillary can make a run for POTUS in a pantsuit I am sure you can wear pants. In fact most of my class wore pants to the interview. ;) Good Luck!

Check out the links for the particular school are you are interviewing with on this forum website. The reason I say that is different PA programs have different interviewing styles. For example Emory puts you into a room with two or three other applicants and the interviewers are the program director, a current PA student, a graduate PA student and an outside interviewer (mine was a psychiatrist). Emory's questions are also different for each student, so while you are in an interview with multiple applicants don't think you will get the same question. Questions I was asked were; What would your best friend say about you? What kind of car would you be? I was never asked, why PA?

My point is, just do your research about schools you get an interview with; cause you might be surprised at their interview style.

Oh, and a side note. Wear comfortable shoes. Cause campus tours in small tight shoes just flat out sucks.

• Upvote 1

So as a pre-PA student I am in the process of completing my application and investigating schools. At one school in particular I have been invited on a personal tour with the Program Director, to see the campus, ask questions and find out more about the program.

Does anyone have experience with this type of visit? I am planning on approaching this as I would an interview....There is the possibility my application will be in by then, would they consider interviewing me then?

I know this is a broad question, however I want to see if anyone has experienced something similar and what they took away from it.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

This thread was a tremendous help to me during my interview. A few suggestions, though, really made a difference.

1. Wear comfortable clothing. If you feel uncomfortable, you look uncomfortable.

2. Listen carefully to the questions being asked, and ALWAYS answer the question. It is easy to get off track if responses are long winded.

3. Be true to yourself. I think this one can make or break you. I would bet that Adcom's can smell a phony a mile away. Be true to who you are and what you are, and you will never go wrong. Think about what type of impression you want to leave with the committee. What separates you from the other 700 applicants? Be true to yourself, and tell your story.

4. Do your research! Read every PA page available on the school's website. Know how old the program is, the mission statement, and their special interests. The very first question I was asked was to paraphrase the mission statement.

Good luck to everone!

After doing my interviews, here's my advice to hopefully help someone out;

1) By the 8th page of this thread, it looks contrite to say don't be nervous. But seriously, don't, you won't be able to concentrate and give the interviewer a decent answer whenever they stump you with a question like my favorite "what is starlings law".

2) Have some fun with it. Talk to other applicants not only about where else they applied (they'll brag and make you nervous) but about random stuff (i.e. how was their trip, their undergrad school, etc.). Oh, and definitely talk to the current students; they'll give you a real good look at the school and will answer your questions w/some good ol fashioned straight talk.

3) If in a group interview, relax and only really focus on your answers. I made the mistake of perhaps listening too intently, so when it came to my turn to speak on a very open ended question, I had nooo idea where I was going w/my answer. But don't be afraid to stop, take a deep breath, gather your thoughts (really quickly!) and continue on. I think thats what saved my interview, and I think the panel noticed that.

4) Research, research, research. Find out everything about the program, ask them what is the programs 5 or 10 year plan? Do they want to buy new, state of the art equipment, or do they want to change something about the program? You have to be honest with yourself, bc if you get in, you want to be sure your going to a great program. Oh, and research the faculty as well, it'll give you something to ask about (find out why they chose to go into PA education for example).

5. Last, buy a good suit. Guys, I wish Boscovs was still around, bc due to their going out of business sale, I bought 2 killer suits & shoes for under $300. Then go to GQ.com, watch their video "how to buy a suit", and then go to the tailor and tell them what YOU want (hem pants, taper in the legs, shorten the jacket sleeves, etc). It'll make you feel good during the interview, and will seperate yourself from others who look like they are in a box or look like they are wearing their fathers suit (and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it does make a difference to look good (according to PAs who have been on previous interview panels)). And make sure you don't buy something that isn't really you (like a bright pasely tie or a slim suit if its not for you)... thats the advice my mother gave me after my sister went for a job interview and canned it bc she wore a very nice & stylish but uncomfortable pant-suit. She then went on a follow up interview and didn't give a crap, but got the job bc she felt comfortable :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

I have my first interview next month and I know the question of attire has been brought up more than a few times, but I have one question...

For woman, is a jacket necessary? I feel very uncomfortable in a jacket. Is it possible to wear suite pants/business skirt and a button up shirt or nice top? I feel uncomfortable and awkward in a jacket and I know it will come off badly, but I don't want to stick out for not being dressed nice enough. Thanks for all your help!

J

• Upvote 1

Guest BirchPA

Hi All

I'm looking forward to an interview in the near future and have been doing some research, thanks for all the help in these pages. I am wondering about the questions listed below and the appropriate answers. Obviously you would want to act calmly and rationally in all of these situations while working for the best care and safety of your patient. Can anyone help with some more specific responses? Who would one go to if they were having trouble with their supervising physician?

• What do you do if a doctor gives you orders that you know will harm the patient?
  • What would you do if a patient adamantly refuses to be seen by a PA?
  • What would you do if your supervising physician was under the influence of alcohol or drugs?

Also I'm expecting a writing sample at my interview, does anyone have insight on the types of questions that are asked in these writing samples and how one might best prepare?

Thanks!

Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it. What do you think about men with facial hair? I have a very young looking face and some think that I look more distinguished with my mustache and goatee. Is it better to be clean cut for the interview?

man, shave that sh--!

kidding,

I think facial hair is appropriate as long as it is well groomed, even, and does not result in you stroking your chin during the interview. If these conditions cannot be met, it is best that you use a fresh razor and shave smoothly to avoid any cuts the day of your interview.

Best of luck!