Failed PANCE help!!

I found out yesterday that I failed my PANCE...for the second time. I attended CME Chicago course and was projected to score a 534 per their tests through the course of the week. I scored a 298 on the PANCE and am completely devastated and at a loss. I did well in school and used study books, review books, practice questions and YouTube videos to learn and study and improve. The first time I took the PANCE I scored a 290. Can anyone help me?? Tips, suggestions, encouragement?

• Administrator

Rev ronin, any tips on overcoming test taking issues? I'm truly at a loss

You first need to get your test taking issue diagnosed properly, and then work with an appropriate provider to get it addressed.  Is it anxiety, reading difficulty, or something else?  I don't know, but I suspect the former. Did you have problems with the GRE? With tests in PA school?

To me this sounds like test anxiety. Get counseling ASAP and DO NOT retake the exam without first treating the anxiety.

I had to overcome some test anxiety in med school. I also had to learn NOT to change my answers! I got hypnosis (despite my very healthy skepticism, it worked ) and I got over it and went on to rock my board exams.

It's critical that you fix this problem and PASS the third time. Most states won't license you after 3 failures.

I wish you the very best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I've not seen anything regarding number of times to pass, and frankly wonder how they would know to begin with since -C confirmation is obtained by potential employer by looking online or your providing certificate.  I would imagine it would be based on time interval between graduation and submission of certification.  You could always call the Texas Medical Board and inquire.

Six is at least twofold too generous. Statistically chances of passing fall off the cliff after 2 failures; hence, 3 failures is a huge red flag. This is well known in physician licensing where the vast majority of states specify no more than 3 attempts at any of the step licensing exams and usually within a period of 6 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Texas Admin Code 185.4(a)(10)- "must pass the national licensing exam required for NCCPA certification within no more than six attempts"

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=22&pt=9&ch=185&rl=4

Whatever happened to the early days when things were less convoluted and you could find the question easily for yourself?

I found out yesterday that I failed my PANCE...for the second time. I attended CME Chicago course and was projected to score a 534 per their tests through the course of the week. I scored a 298 on the PANCE and am completely devastated and at a loss. I did well in school and used study books, review books, practice questions and YouTube videos to learn and study and improve. The first time I took the PANCE I scored a 290. Can anyone help me?? Tips, suggestions, encouragement?

You have to remember that the PANCE isn't there to trick you. I've spoken to so many people who were used to tricky exams and took the wrong approach to their boards because of it- this may have been one of those cases. The majority of exam questions can be correctly answered using buzz words alone.

i was doing terrible in my MTC exams in school and had no idea why since i studied very hard. luckily my teachers recognized it and sent me to the school counselor. after a bunch of testing, i was diagnosed with anxiety at end of didactic year. i began taking medication to control it which really helped with studying and keeping calm. i also had a separate room during pance. there are accommodations available if requested but you need back up letters from your doctor and school. 

So, I need some help. 

I have failed the PANCE twice. First time was 328. I studied for about a week after graduation and went to a CME conference. So I was thinking that I didn't study very long and rushed the whole thing. I felt some test anxiety as well. Therefore I guess I understood why I failed. 

I spent the next few months extensively going over the PANCE blueprint using CMDT, Ferri's Clinical Advisor, and the PANCE Pearls book. I took many Kaplan questions. By the end of the the two months my Kaplan average was 67%. I did the NCCPA practice tests and was mid moderate and low high on the first one and slightly moderate and mostly high on the second test. I took the PANCE on a Monday in which I felt great. I had minimal test anxiety and read through my questions much better than last time. I felt like on each questions I had a really good shot at passing as I was close the previous time. 

Yesterday I found out that I scored 335. I had the NCCPA verify the result in which I got notification that my score was correct. I worked so hard through multiple methods to improve by 7 points. Absolutely crushing. 

I am currently employed at a General Surgery in which they were waiting for my scores for me to keep my job. I do have a temporary (year long) license in the state of Washington as well as a DEA license. However, it sounds like I will be let go today. 

I have many questions that I hope someone here can help me with. 

How did this happen? All pretest indicators pointed to me passing. I have had anxiety before, but I didn't have much on my test day. 

Where do I go from here? I talked to John Bielinski at CME4Life and he is sending me his DVDs and flashcards. He says he can help me. I guess from my conversation with him that I would have to pay him back after I pass the PANCE. Don't know how this works. 

I feel that my test taking strategies might be the big problem for me. I am looking into other questions banks like Rosh and ExamMaster, but they are very expensive. Not sure if I should sign up for one. Also not sure which one to use. 

Also, is there anywhere I could practice without being Certified. I am licensed in Washington for a year and have my DEA. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks

You first need to get your test taking issue diagnosed properly, and then work with an appropriate provider to get it addressed.  Is it anxiety, reading difficulty, or something else?  I don't know, but I suspect the former. Did you have problems with the GRE? With tests in PA school?

I was not the brightest student but my grades were good. So far, I have failed PANCE twice. My tools were the AAPA book, PACKRATS and some USMLE reviews. My options are running out because todayI took my third exam. There were some questions that gave me second thoughts and at the end I finished with a headache, If I fail this one, I wil have only 3 more to go with an enormous dissapoinment on me. In the beginning I had problem with lengthy questions for just 60 seconds. Now I can handle it, but still some of the questions throw me off qith other details and I do not what is bing asked. I just do not want to see my score during the holidays until 01/16. If I am not succeful what should my approach be? I am planning to got around the neighborhood to find someone that can hire me with a temorary license or do shadowing in a clinic and work part time because I support myself. So it is hard to come from work and study, but I have to do it and wil do it. Please give me your advice.

Archived