anyone go from MD school to PA school?

The local dentist who was working with our team went through several patients ahead of me and shot them up with lidocaine and taught me how to test for complete blockage prior to extracting. It was a fairly efficient system, aside from the humid, low light working environment where patients waited with their heads tilted back, sitting in old school desks. Imagine the discomfort these people have gone through for years waiting to receive help. When our team arrived at Pantasma, a northern Nicaraguan villiage, there were over 300 people waiting in line to receive medical, dental, or vision. Some had walked for days to get to us. They stayed in line, night and day so that they would not lose their spot. At the end of it all, there were some we were unable to see.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi! I just left medical school halfway through my second year to pursue PA school instead for many reasons! I talked to several docs and PAs before making my decision, and I feel good about it.

I was just wondering if anyone else switched from a MD student to a PA student? One of the schools that I am looking to apply to said that they have had several MD students switch to their PA school. Just interested to hear from others who have went through a similar situation. :)

Hi,

I was wondering if you were able to get into a PA program? I am also a second year medical student who is opting to pursue PA school. I have heard that i will get a lot of heat for leaving medical school during the process...please tell me what your experience has been like through your application process/interviews. Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering if you were able to get into a PA program? I am also a second year medical student who is opting to pursue PA school. I have heard that i will get a lot of heat for leaving medical school during the process...please tell me what your experience has been like through your application process/interviews. Thanks!

you are already through the hardest part of medschool? why stop now? if you drop out after ms 2 it would take at least a yr(probably 2) to get into pa school during which you would finish medschool. then when you were in pa school for 2 yrs that's pgy1 and pgy2,so we are talking a difference of saving 1 yr.

stick with it. you will kick yourself later if you stop now.

Hi,

If you're doing well, you could probably get some good recommendations from your current professors yeah? I would assume that leaving on good terms would be very beneficial to applying to a PA program because it would lower their perceived risk in accepting you to the program. If your convictions are that strong and you know you;d hate being an MD, sacrificing work already done might be worth it. Although, in the end, who knows where the PA profession will be in 20 years? We could be picking up a lot of slack in the form of administration that's left from retiring baby-boomer doctors by then. A lot of PAs are interested basically in autonomy.

Why do you want into a PA program instead of an MD program?

you are already through the hardest part of medschool? why stop now? if you drop out after ms 2 it would take at least a yr(probably 2) to get into pa school during which you would finish medschool. then when you were in pa school for 2 yrs that's pgy1 and pgy2,so we are talking a difference of saving 1 yr.

stick with it. you will kick yourself later if you stop now.

Hi,

So there are a lot of reasons for me switching from MD school to PA school. I'm in medical school in NY and my family and husband are in California. My husband just graduated from medical school last year and started his residency in California. I don't want the hectic lifestyle of being a physician. Had I known about the PA program when i applied to medical school, I think i would have applied to the PA program. I've met many PA's throughout the hospital who are really smart, get lots of interaction with patients, work less hours (hence get paid less), and are really satisfied with their jobs. With the healthcare system going the way it is, and the expense of medical school going up so much, I don't know if it's worth it for me to continue on this path. I really love primary care, and since that is what I would have gone into anyways, it makes sense for me to go in as a PA because that's mostly what PA's provide. There are many people in my medical class who love it. They would never think of switching, but I think at the end it comes down to a personal decision. As I've gotten older, my priorities have shifted and I want to come back to California, have a career i can balance with a family life. I'm sure there are many women who can balance being physicians and families, but i still have two years left in NY, and then I'm not sure if I'll get into residency in Cali, so for me it's a smarter decision to switch now. I don't want to finish medical school and then realize that it's too much for me.

The only draw back is that a few people i've talked to on admissions for PA programs haven't liked that i am coming from a medical school. I don't really understand that backlash because i'm sure people applying to PA programs come from all walks of life (some might even be switching from completely different careers such as finances or economics). The second I mentioned coming from a medical school to the advisor, her whole persona seemed to change and she became a little uptight and not as friendly. My dean from my medical school has been really supportive in my decision and is willing to write any form of recommendation that is needed. So I guess I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

Hi,

I just wrote my reply to the person below your reply, so i guess you can read that and see why i want to switch. I'm in good standing with my medical school and my dean has been really supportive. The biggest hurdle I have now is convincing the PA programs that coming from medical school is not that bad. Any ideas on how i can word my situation in the most positive way would be greatly appreciated.

If you're doing well, you could probably get some good recommendations from your current professors yeah? I would assume that leaving on good terms would be very beneficial to applying to a PA program because it would lower their perceived risk in accepting you to the program. If your convictions are that strong and you know you;d hate being an MD, sacrificing work already done might be worth it. Although, in the end, who knows where the PA profession will be in 20 years? We could be picking up a lot of slack in the form of administration that's left from retiring baby-boomer doctors by then. A lot of PAs are interested basically in autonomy.

Why do you want into a PA program instead of an MD program?

Hi,

I just wrote my reply to the person below your reply, so i guess you can read that and see why i want to switch. I'm in good standing with my medical school and my dean has been really supportive. The biggest hurdle I have now is convincing the PA programs that coming from medical school is not that bad. Any ideas on how i can word my situation in the most positive way would be greatly appreciated.

The problem? The idea that the PA career is more family friendly is nothing more than a myth. Fact is, I enter the office earlier than the physicians in the practice, I have to do all the scut work such as lab reviews and med refills for the physicians, pull all the call 24/7, leave the office last, and work on Saturdays. The only true benefit is that you will be done in twenty four to twenty eight months versus 7 years of med school combined with residency.

The problem? The idea that the PA career is more family friendly is nothing more than a myth. Fact is, I enter the office earlier than the physicians in the practice, I have to do all the scut work such as lab reviews and med refills for the physicians, pull all the call 24/7, leave the office last, and work on Saturdays. The only true benefit is that you will be done in twenty four to twenty eight months versus 7 years of med school combined with residency.

Agree. The urban legend that PAs have better hrs needs to be put to bed.

The thought of med school debt is scary, but after i calculated it, even that makes sense to me to switch right now. The medical school I am at costs $50,000 a year, most PA schools are about $25,000. So just by switching to PA school, I would be saving $50,000. Then as a resident you make $45,000 (working 80 hours a week...my husband is doing this right now so i know) for atleast three years, unless you decide to do a fellowship, which means you will be making $45,000 for a year or two longer. In my area, the starting salary for PA's is $80,000 (for a M-F 8am to 5pm job...I looked at job offers nearby for PAs). After i calculated the savings from PA school and the doubled salary for the first three years as a PA...I realized that only after 10 years would I be making more as a doctor than a PA. I would be going into primary care even if I stuck with medical school, and now a days primary care doctors don't make that much more than PAs. In the end, I feel like i have come up with a logical decision. If i can come closer to my family, complete a program in 2 years in a field i really like, and not have to worry about placing for residency nearby, and make a decent salary, then I feel like this really makes sense to me.

Just my quick two cents...

If you are a PA, chances are you will be tired of several aspects of your work in 5, 10, 15 years.

If you are an MD, chances are you will be tired of several aspects of your work in 5, 10, 15 years.

If you are the emperor of an exotic island, chances are you will be tired of several aspects of your work in 5, 10, 15 years.

You can't pick a job on what you dislike about it. I've had many jobs that paid well, great hours (even worked from home making great money before), and absolutely hated the job. I've also had jobs where I lacked proper respect, got paid **** and had literally the worst hours of the entire building, loved the job but left because of politics. I've also worked at places I think someone people would love to work, hated the job and left because of my coworkers.

If you are doubting PA for MD, you should be doubting MD for MBA, because they make better money with less sacrifice. And if you are thinking MBA, maybe you should consider going to law school instead. But if you're considering law school, you really should consider starting your own business.

I'm relatively young and not yet a PA but I can tell you a few things. One is that any job you take, you will probably eventually be dissatisfied for. And for all the PAs thinking they should've gone MD, there is an MD wishing he either went PA or never touched medicine in the first place (as this thread attests to and as I have heard straight from the mouth of many MDs). We all choose PA for different reasons but our commonality is our desire to learn the science behind medicine and use it to help others, many who would not receive help if it weren't for us. There is no shame, absolutely no shame, in not being the top dog. The people who are focused on status and go into medicine are missing the point entirely. IMO these are usually the people who end up REALLY hating their jobs. If your intent is right, you will be happy as a PA. If your intent is money, respect, power, you will probably never be satisfied with a job in medicine.

Best of luck to all.

Wow, I had a long post typed up and it just got sucked into the internet vortex with one accidental keystroke.

Basically, it went something like this:

I did not go from MD to PA school. Since this thread has now morphed, I will chime in.

I am a new grad with a new job (1 month), so take this as you will.

Cool parts to my job:

-Get to practice medicine and am paid well for it

I worked my way up the healthcare ladder over 12 years (CNA-EMT-LPN-PA), and let me tell you one thing- being EITHER a PA or MD is WAAAAY better than wiping peoples asses for $8 bucks an hour. IT COULD BE WORSE.

My pearl to the Pre-PA is simple:

Dont forget or lose sight of why you are getting into medicine. There is a downside to every job out there except for ice cream taste tester. Make a decision (MD vs PA) and stick with it. My opinion is that if you let the woulda, coulda, shoulda grab ahold of you- it will haunt you. Work to live, and enjoy the little things (foley cath for the non-compliant, disorderly drunk guy who calls you a piece of sh** in the ER). :)

Now this is inspirational, I'm wiping people's *** for $10/hr now and that **** sucks monkey balls! God willing I will be able to call myself a PA in about 5yrs.

Hi,

oh wow. if i were in the PA admissions committee, your application will go straight to the shredder. seriously?!!! i would seriously question your judgement and state of mind. this is just about the dumbest decision i've ever heard. i personally think that you are not suited for a medical career and best stay at home writing blogs about how vitamins will cure cancer.

oh wow. if i were in the PA admissions committee, your application will go straight to the shredder. seriously?!!! i would seriously question your judgement and state of mind. this is just about the dumbest decision i've ever heard. i personally think that you are not suited for a medical career and best stay at home writing blogs about how vitamins will cure cancer.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone going from med school to pa school is the dumbest decision you've ever heard, then you must not have heard a lot of decisions being made. And I'm sure these admission committees are made of people who have a little more compassion for people and their personal situations. Since you don't know me or my work ethics, I don't think you are suited to judge my medical career.

Hi! This is me again...the one who started this whole thread. :) I've been getting alot of private messages from many people wanting to know how I'm doing now, what I'm doing now, etc.

Well, I got accepted into a PA program and an accelerated nursing program (which is a BSN 16 month program for those who already have bachelor's degrees). The PA program was three hours away from my parents (and we need to be as close to my parents as we can due to having our baby (now crazy toddler :) ) running around) and the nursing program was only 45 minutes from my parents, sooo after considering pros and cons, I chose the accelerated nursing program to stay close to my parents.

Now... I do miss the medical model of teaching and if the PA program had been closer....I would have went that way, but I felt like being an NP would also lead me to a road where I eventually wanted to be. And some NP programs have really changed from the "classic nursing model" in which they now focus on clinicals and classes such as patho, pharm, and differential diagnosis. Because to be completely honest, I do not like the nursing model...at all! But it's only 16 months (of which I'm already half-way through). Many of the NPs and PAs in the hospital do the same job and work well together and equally are all very smart...just as smart as the doctors we work with. It is a great atmosphere at the hospital where I am currently doing clinicals.

I started this thread because I was looking for advice on what to do in my situation so I will now put MY advice to those who are considering the same thing as I was...

First of all, from experience and talking with PAs and doctors...I will say that "the grass is always greener on the other side." There are so many PAs who wish they had went to medical school and so many doctors who wish they would have gone into PA programs. Doctors look at PAs like they have it easier than they do, and many PAs look at the doctors like THEY have it easier than they do.

My advice....is follow your heart. Make sure that what you are leaving medical school for is more important to you than why you went to medical school in the first place! Because at times, you will always wonder if you should have stayed in medical school, but then that reason you had reassures you that you made the right decision! I always knew that the true test of whether or not I was "okay" with my decision would be when my classmates were graduating with their MDs. Well they graduate soon and I don't care! Which is such a relief to me! I'm so happy for them, but not jealous and I'm definitely okay with where I am regardless of what anyone else says. If you can say that at the end of the day, then you made the right choice! :)

Best of luck!! Either way you choose, you will experience a rollercoaster of emotions and please know that it's normal. Trust me :) I've experienced every emotion I could have after my decision, but I still know in my heart that I did the right thing for me. Each path is different for everyone...I feel like life is short so go for what you want....either way you will be an excellent doctor/PA/NP and you will be an excellent parent, spouse, etc. Your life is what you make of it! :)

Best wishes to all of you! PM me with any other questions you all may have.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone going from med school to pa school is the dumbest decision you've ever heard, then you must not have heard a lot of decisions being made. And I'm sure these admission committees are made of people who have a little more compassion for people and their personal situations. Since you don't know me or my work ethics, I don't think you are suited to judge my medical career.

Anyhow, your fears about getting into a California PA program should be just as high (if not higher) than your fears about getting a California residency.

Archived