anyone go from MD school to PA school?

SCUBA INSTRUCTOR IN THE CARRIBEAN, ADVENTURE TOUR LEADER, MTN GUIDE IS ASIA, PHOTO JOURNALIST FOR NATL. GEOGRAPHIC, RESTAURANT CRITIC, MOVIE OR TV STAR, PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE, BILL GATES, WARREN BUFFET, STATE SENATOR/CONGRESSMAN, CHAIRMAN OF THE JOINT CHIEFS, DIRECTOR OF THE FBI OR CIA, ETC

Shortstop for the Yankees, goaltender for the Devils, running a beachside bar in Aruba, running a country pub in the West of Ireland, ski instructor at Vail, head brewer for a microbrewery, fly car paramedic earning $500k......

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

beats being fry cook at Mickey D's, pooper scooper at the zoo, unit clerk in the ED or ICU, working in collections (nowadays Im sure they get yelled at and cursed out A LOT more), repo person (especially if youre not getting paid on the tv show)....im sure theres some other jobs that suck....at least to me

How many jet pilot, zoo keeper, astronaut do you know personally? And how many people do you know can get a gig like Zimmerman, Bourdain and Samantha Brown? I'm sure you know more PA than you do guys who go around the world eating bizarre food and have their own show. Let's be realistic now.

Being a PA is GREAT... most days... as in 95% of the time you are practicing.

Its the 5% that you have to watch out for... cause it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that you can't get rid of regardless of how many times you spit...;)

Really...??? "most jobs"...???:confused:

Even commercial jet pilot...zoo keeper...Cruise ship Captain...Astronaut..??

I bet Samantha Brown, Anthony Bourdain, Rick Steves and Andrew Zimmern would beg to differ...

Contrarian

I get what ya mean but "absolutes" don't work here... ;)

Shortstop for the Yankees, goaltender for the Devils, running a beachside bar in Aruba, running a country pub in the West of Ireland, ski instructor at Vail, head brewer for a microbrewery, fly car paramedic earning $500k......

Bass guitarist for Earth, wind and Fire, Santana, the Doobie Borthers, the Allman Brothers, the Neville Borthers, The Crusaders, Herbie Hancock...heck I'd just like to be their Stage Manager for one tour...

Do you guys really think that any of those people like their job 100%? No matter what you do for a living, there will be aspects of it that annoy the crap out of you and you'd do anything to avoid. I say that if you have a job you only dislike 5% of the time, don't ever, EVER leave.

I mean, I'd love to be a professional ballroom dancer or a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, but I also like to eat.

Do you guys really think that any of those people like their job 100%? No matter what you do for a living, there will be aspects of it that annoy the crap out of you and you'd do anything to avoid. I say that if you have a job you only dislike 5% of the time, don't ever, EVER leave.

I mean, I'd love to be a professional ballroom dancer or a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, but I also like to eat.

They wont let you be a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader anyway without a job. Thats why they dont pay that much.

I watched a special on them:)

Do you guys really think that any of those people like their job 100%?

Nope... and that wasn't the point.

The point was... the statement 'Being a PA beats working most jobs' isn't necessarily so if you ask a few actual working licensed certified PAs....;)

How can a statement like this even be made/formulated/uttered if you haven't worked 'most jobs'... and haven't even ever worked as a PA-C...???:confused:

Sort of like me going to the NASA site and proclaiming that being a Astro-nut beats working most jobs without ever setting foot on the Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston Tx.

Haha, I live within easy walking distance of NASA. Growing up, you'd have some kid in school try to brag that his dad was an astronaut. The rest of us would roll our eyes. EVERYONE'S dad was an astronaut, or worked for NASA or a subcontractor. Every field trip was to NASA. The teachers would pant over it, but we'd all be bored :). Now I try to explain to my daughters why space travel is so awesomely cool and, like me at that age, they couldn't care less. They ask why every school field trip is to NASA.

Yeah, the DCCs have to have regular jobs. Watching Making the Team is my guilty pleasure. I'd just love to be a little (lot) more coordinated and a little (LOT) thinner.

I got the impression that someone suggested that being a PA was better than most jobs, so suddenly everyone started posting what they considered the ideal, cool, pie-in-the-sky job. As in, rock star didn't work out, but PA is a pretty darned good substitute.

well I have to admit (as a PA or not) that being a PA doesnt quite add up to my dream job of smokin hot airhead heiress but alas my parents never came up with a cool concept and I actually liked school growing up

I still like to think Im smokin hot though.....keeps 1/3 of the dream alive:p:p

PS goes to show how old I am.....what I watched on the DCCs was wayyyyyyyyy before Making the Team----wayyyyyyy. Think I was in my teens---definitely before I had my daughter and I was still tiny enough to fit in the shorts

Haha, I live within easy walking distance of NASA. Growing up, you'd have some kid in school try to brag that his dad was an astronaut. The rest of us would roll our eyes. EVERYONE'S dad was an astronaut, or worked for NASA or a subcontractor. Every field trip was to NASA. The teachers would pant over it, but we'd all be bored :). Now I try to explain to my daughters why space travel is so awesomely cool and, like me at that age, they couldn't care less. They ask why every school field trip is to NASA.

Yeah, the DCCs have to have regular jobs. Watching Making the Team is my guilty pleasure. I'd just love to be a little (lot) more coordinated and a little (LOT) thinner.

I got the impression that someone suggested that being a PA was better than most jobs, so suddenly everyone started posting what they considered the ideal, cool, pie-in-the-sky job. As in, rock star didn't work out, but PA is a pretty darned good substitute.

so suddenly everyone started posting what they considered the ideal, cool, pie-in-the-sky job. As in, rock star didn't work out, but PA is a pretty darned good substitute.

LOL wow I posted to the wrong thread..lol. Being a PA has been very very good to me DiesoutHere, I would never say differently. It wasn't a substitute it was my evolution maybe my destiny, as it were, because it has allowed me a multiplier effect others may never get. Now as far as rock start didn't work out, you have to give an AARP PA their mid life crisis.;)

LesH

*raises hand* Yes, I think that being a PA is better than most jobs and still think that. I get it that since I'm not a PA yet, how do I know right? Perhaps the double digit unemployment rate help me to draw on this conclusion.

Joelseff,

After finishing my undergraduate work, I spent several months working with a christian medical mission team in Northern Nicaragua where I also was asking to suture a patient, and perform extractions, IM injections, start IV's, etc. I think one really has to spend time in that element (third world country) working with the people to understand the difference from western medicine

after seeing the show Im pretty sure---actually Im quite sure that I couldnt not/would not do Andrews job.....Bobby Flay, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora even Paula Dean---yes but Andrew--no

my stomach isnt strong enough lol

Morimoto is pretty much the "god" of the culinary industry (along with Thomas Keller). You are quite sure of yourself if you think you can pull off "god's" job!:p

Edited to fix weird formatting

Morimoto is pretty much the "god" of the culinary industry (along with Thomas Keller). You are quite sure of yourself if you think you can pull off "god's" job!:p

Edited to fix weird formatting

well since he doesnt do anything that would make my stomach want to rip itself out like some sort of ailen then I "could" do what he does

since I actually like to cook and create then if given the chance I "would" do what he does

while andrew maybe a chef what he does on his show makes me want to wretch (although i still watch it for amusement---its like riding a roller coaster over and over--fun but sickening) and I could never do what he does on his show nor would I want to

To be honest if I ever had the chance to train under Morimoto, i think i would have to give up the idea of being a PA:p

Morimoto is the man. It be nice to be able to have that much skills in the kitchen. I'm so craving for sashimi right now.

well since he doesnt do anything that would make my stomach want to rip itself out like some sort of ailen then I "could" do what he does

since I actually like to cook and create then if given the chance I "would" do what he does

while andrew maybe a chef what he does on his show makes me want to wretch (although i still watch it for amusement---its like riding a roller coaster over and over--fun but sickening) and I could never do what he does on his show nor would I want to

To be honest if I ever had the chance to train under Morimoto, i think i would have to give up the idea of being a PA:p

Morimoto is the man. It be nice to be able to have that much skills in the kitchen. I'm so craving for sashimi right now.

I dont think Ive seen him loose an Iron Chef challenge yet

i just wish people would challenge him more often. i like bobby flay and all but his style is getting predictable----Batalli is pretty cool to watch----he makes everything seem so fun

• 4 weeks later...

I landed $115K plus benefits right out of school...Neurosurgery in central Texas. Anything less than $80K is just a slap in the face.

I think every new grad in every specialty is worth at least 75k to start.

many specialty positions start a lot higher. a friend of mine just landed 92k+ full bennies to do 14 twelve hr em shifts/mo. right out of school.

surgery right out of school should pay at least 80k. that's what they were paying for good surgical jobs 15 yrs ago.....

• 2 weeks later...
I landed $115K plus benefits right out of school...Neurosurgery in central Texas. Anything less than $80K is just a slap in the face.

that puts you in the top 5%. How many Hours do that have you doing?

Also I dont think 80 is a slap in the face at all. Think about it your employers did 4 years of school and probably made 50k for years before making over 6 figures.

Wow, I had a long post typed up and it just got sucked into the internet vortex with one accidental keystroke.

Basically, it went something like this:

I did not go from MD to PA school. Since this thread has now morphed, I will chime in.

I am a new grad with a new job (1 month), so take this as you will.

Cool parts to my job:

-Get to practice medicine and am paid well for it

I worked my way up the healthcare ladder over 12 years (CNA-EMT-LPN-PA), and let me tell you one thing- being EITHER a PA or MD is WAAAAY better than wiping peoples asses for $8 bucks an hour. IT COULD BE WORSE.

My pearl to the Pre-PA is simple:

Dont forget or lose sight of why you are getting into medicine. There is a downside to every job out there except for ice cream taste tester. Make a decision (MD vs PA) and stick with it. My opinion is that if you let the woulda, coulda, shoulda grab ahold of you- it will haunt you. Work to live, and enjoy the little things (foley cath for the non-compliant, disorderly drunk guy who calls you a piece of sh** in the ER). :)

Guest starvingstudent
Joelseff,

After finishing my undergraduate work, I spent several months working with a christian medical mission team in Northern Nicaragua where I also was asking to suture a patient, and perform extractions, IM injections, start IV's, etc. I think one really has to spend time in that element (third world country) working with the people to understand the difference from western medicine

you were doing tooth extractions? do you even know how to do nerve blocks? eek!

Archived