Offer: Decent salary, not the best benefits + non-compete

I'm a new grad and recently received an offer for family practice at a small rural clinic about 25 miles from Portland. The commute would be a little long for me- about 45 minutes if traffic isn't bad, probably an hour in the evenings, until I can afford to/choose to move closer.  The clinic seems good for a new grad, but the benefits/ strict non-compete are concerning.

4 days/week, 8-5ish (obviously dependent on my ability to finish on time though), no weekends or evenings, no call 

Basic medical with NO vision or dental - coverage starts after 90 days 

2 weeks vacation (up from one after I told them the average was closer to 4)

Malpractice- still waiting to hear if it covers tail

$500 CME toward registration fees only + one week off for CME- they don't want us going "somewhere nice" with CME money

401k with 6% match plus profit share pension-eligible after one year 

Coverage of license and professional fees

Non-compete of 15 miles from their two locations for 2 years after termination with a fine of 1 year average salary if violated

A compensation secrecy clause in the contract that states you can be terminated immediately if violated, and I believe this is illegal. 

No disability insurance. 

I feel that the vacation and CME are really low.  The lack of disability insurance, vision, dental, and waiting a whole year for retirement benefits are all concerning to me. The non-compete is not likely an issue, but it definitely makes me less likely to move close and that keeps my commute longer. The practice seems like a good place to work for but I was expecting better benefits. I am in communication with a clinic manager who is interested in interviewing me for a clinic 15 minutes from my house that is associated with a major hospital, but no word yet on when they can get that scheduled. I also have an interview for a clinic in 2 weeks about 50 minutes away that has better benefits, but no idea on salary. 

Should I take this offer or hold out for better benefits and potentially be out of work for a while longer? I have already waited half a week. They did not give me a timeline to answer, but I probably need to soon. 

Don't feel pressured into a position that you feel isn't right for you.  If you're already feeling like that, chances are your instincts are right.  Tell them you have a couple more interviews lined up and need two weeks to examine your options and make sure this is the right fit. If they say they can't do that, then they didn't want you that badly anyway.  If you end up liking this practice the most, you can possibly use other offers(if they're better) to negotiate a better deal.

ArmyVetPA,

First off, thank you for your service. I am a 15 year Vet myself and I have always looked up to PA's, especially being a Healthcare Recruiter (AMEDD) and knowing PA's personally. Anyhow, here is what our company offers just to give you a guideline of some-sort.

$60-$70 (DOE) per hour; negotiable with Medical Director

Incentive bonuses awarded to efficient providers based on productivity and quality standards

W2 employee

10 days of vacation

6 sick days

3 days paid to attend annual CME

CME expenses reimbursed up to $2,000

Malpractice (1 million/3 million) and tail insurance

Medical, Dental, and Vision provided

Workers Comp insurance and group disability insurance

California license, DEA renewal fees reimbursed

401(k) w/match

If you know someone that is looking into a Southern California career, please let me know.

Joe

bad offer

low ball on most items

non-compete - NEVER sign unless it is reasonable - ie 6 months, 5 miles... something simple

15 miles - 2 years - yeah no thank you

Immediate termination for talking salary? YEah that is a HUGE flag that they are underpaying everyone and don't want employees to talk about it...

I'm a new grad and recently received an offer for family practice at a small rural clinic about 25 miles from Portland. The commute would be a little long for me- about 45 minutes if traffic isn't bad, probably an hour in the evenings, until I can afford to/choose to move closer.  The clinic seems good for a new grad, but the benefits/ strict non-compete are concerning.

4 days/week, 8-5ish (obviously dependent on my ability to finish on time though), no weekends or evenings, no call 

Basic medical with NO vision or dental - coverage starts after 90 days 

2 weeks vacation (up from one after I told them the average was closer to 4)

Malpractice- still waiting to hear if it covers tail

$500 CME toward registration fees only + one week off for CME- they don't want us going "somewhere nice" with CME money

401k with 6% match plus profit share pension-eligible after one year 

Coverage of license and professional fees

Non-compete of 15 miles from their two locations for 2 years after termination with a fine of 1 year average salary if violated

A compensation secrecy clause in the contract that states you can be terminated immediately if violated, and I believe this is illegal. 

No disability insurance. 

I feel that the vacation and CME are really low.  The lack of disability insurance, vision, dental, and waiting a whole year for retirement benefits are all concerning to me. The non-compete is not likely an issue, but it definitely makes me less likely to move close and that keeps my commute longer. The practice seems like a good place to work for but I was expecting better benefits. I am in communication with a clinic manager who is interested in interviewing me for a clinic 15 minutes from my house that is associated with a major hospital, but no word yet on when they can get that scheduled. I also have an interview for a clinic in 2 weeks about 50 minutes away that has better benefits, but no idea on salary. 

Should I take this offer or hold out for better benefits and potentially be out of work for a while longer? I have already waited half a week. They did not give me a timeline to answer, but I probably need to soon. 

>"We don't want you going 'somewhere nice' for CME"

>Pay us 90k if you take another job somewhere else within two years.

>Don't talk about how much you make.

Sounds controlling as all get out. Are these places just throwing in whatever they think of and hoping it sticks or what? Disrespectful, disrespectful, disrespectful. I wonder if the physicians' contracts have this type of language.

non-compete - NEVER sign unless it is reasonable - ie 6 months, 5 miles... something simple

15 miles - 2 years - yeah no thank you

Don't forget the $90,000 fine too! These places need to get their heads out of their asses.

ArmyVetPA,

First off, thank you for your service. I am a 15 year Vet myself and I have always looked up to PA's, especially being a Healthcare Recruiter (AMEDD) and knowing PA's personally. Anyhow, here is what our company offers just to give you a guideline of some-sort.

$60-$70 (DOE) per hour; negotiable with Medical Director

Incentive bonuses awarded to efficient providers based on productivity and quality standards

W2 employee

10 days of vacation

6 sick days

3 days paid to attend annual CME

CME expenses reimbursed up to $2,000

Malpractice (1 million/3 million) and tail insurance

Medical, Dental, and Vision provided

Workers Comp insurance and group disability insurance

California license, DEA renewal fees reimbursed

401(k) w/match

If you know someone that is looking into a Southern California career, please let me know.

Joe

Tell your company they need to revisit paid time off. Without any offense meant, 10 days is garbage. Pay and other benefits seem good though.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting another offer for more money, better benefits, and a lot closer to where I live now. The place I ended up accepting also feels right, and I am hopeful it will be an amazing opportunity.

When I told this practice that I was accepting an offer elsewhere, they wanted to know what it is that they are missing (apparently I'm not the first person to walk away from this) and I am hopeful that they can re-evaluate and offer something better to the next person.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up getting another offer for more money, better benefits, and a lot closer to where I live now. The place I ended up accepting also feels right, and I am hopeful it will be an amazing opportunity.

When I told this practice that I was accepting an offer elsewhere, they wanted to know what it is that they are missing (apparently I'm not the first person to walk away from this) and I am hopeful that they can re-evaluate and offer something better to the next person.

make sure you are honest and that their offer was insulting...  set up the next person a little bit better

Archived