10 of Today's Hottest Jobs..PA's rank look at what we are!

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/power-your-future/10-today-hottest-jobs-184644468.html

6. Physician Assistant

Hiring demand: 1.45 active job seekers for every open position

Annual salary range: $73,040-$101,690

10-year growth projection: 39%

Job description: The doctor's assistant is in. Known as a P.A., a physician assistant does many of the same things as an M.D.: conducts exams, makes diagnoses, performs procedures, and sometimes even prescribes medications. Formal training is mandatory, as is a passing grade on a national exam, but the process is less rigorous (and costly) than med school. In the hierarchy of today's health care, the P.A. resides between a nurse practitioner and a full-fledged doctor. Just don't confuse physician assistant with medical assistant. The latter is a low-paying, albeit fast-growing, occupation that involves basic clerical and clinical tasks, such as coding claim forms and recording vital signs.

I appreciate the clarity between MA and PA but geez make sure they are not going the other way between PA and NP. No one ever seems to get the description right. I emailed the author to correct.

6. Physician Assistant

Hiring demand: 1.45 active job seekers for every open position

Annual salary range: $73,040-$101,690

10-year growth projection: 39%

Job description: The doctor's assistant is in. Known as a P.A., a physician assistant does many of the same things as an M.D.: conducts exams, makes diagnoses, performs procedures, and sometimes even prescribes medications. Formal training is mandatory, as is a passing grade on a national exam, but the process is less rigorous (and costly) than med school. In the hierarchy of today's health care, the P.A. resides between a nurse practitioner and a full-fledged doctor. Just don't confuse physician assistant with medical assistant. The latter is a low-paying, albeit fast-growing, occupation that involves basic clerical and clinical tasks, such as coding claim forms and recording vital signs.

gotta love that statement

I was reading several comments regarding this post...as a Pre-PA student, I was hurt. And I don't even know why, I'm not even a PA yet.

Ha. can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But if you're not, then don't let that kind of BS get you down, especially any yahoo BS. If you're lookin' for negative regarding PA, or any other field for that matter, it's easy to find with all the "know-it-alls" out there.

I hadn't read the comments section before. Some of it is amusing, espeically nurses/NPs complaining that they got "ranked" lower than PAs in the descriptions because of...their title!

" Please get your information accurate before writing an article that makes PA's look more educated, ie., than nurse practitioners. I suppose because we have the name "nurse" preceding our name that tends to make us less than."

"Exactly. That pesky "nurse" title in our name keeps us in our place at times. Be a nice little nurse! UGH"

It's sad that there is so much back and forth about how PAs or NPs are better, when the reality is we are so similar in almost every way in terms of practice (not education). "Our hospital won't even hire PAs"...etc. It hink we get a little excited about the dogma that the professions feed us sometimes.

PAs claim superiority of training.....NPs claim superiority of degree and independent practice....when it comes down to it none of these things really makes a difference in terms of how effective we are (although it does affect how/where we can practice/ legally)......

I respect our difference as clinicians but the propaganda has to GO.

It IS petty and needs to stop! I actually was talking to a NP friend over lunch the other day and we briefly talked about how nice it would be if Both NP's and PA's banded together to promote NON-PHYSICIAN clinicians...wouldn't that be nice and we would all fart rainbows and sing kumbaya all the live long day.....

It IS petty and needs to stop! I actually was talking to a NP friend over lunch the other day and we briefly talked about how nice it would be if Both NP's and PA's banded together to promote NON-PHYSICIAN clinicians...wouldn't that be nice and we would all fart rainbows and sing kumbaya all the live long day.....

This group had been trying that for a while now

http://www.clinician1.com

Archived