Can a PA be a PI?

Curious as to whether a PA could be a PI on research studies, specifically pharmaceutical studies.

I did pharmaceutical studies full time for two years (at a headache center) but was not PI. I approached GSK, Merck . . . hmm . . . a couple of others about me being a PI for headache studies here four years ago . . . all smiled and said "Thanks . . . but no thanks . . . unless you have an MD to join you." Seems to be industry wide.

There ya go ... a way to promote the PA profession ... a series of police procedurals with a PA as a part-time gumshoe and lead character ... "Give me the high hat again and you'll be pickin' iron out of your cecum!"

Oh, oh ... you mean Principal Investigator on research studies ... :)

Actually, I did mean the former- confused me a bit when everyone starting talking research. ;)

...Of course, if I did continue on the "PI" course, it would have to be a "Calvin and Hobbes" style PI.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

• 1 year later...
Guest mdewindt

PA's can be a Sub-Investigator. You can do a lot of the same things that a PI can do but depending on the pharmaceutical compnay they will usually say what tasks need to be reserved for the PI.

There ya go ... a way to promote the PA profession ... a series of police procedurals with a PA as a part-time gumshoe and lead character ... "Give me the high hat again and you'll be pickin' iron out of your cecum!"

Oh, oh ... you mean Principal Investigator on research studies ... :)

HA! I had the same confusion for a minute... only I was actually a private investigator for about a year and was coming in here to warn the OP against doing that crappy job.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

HA! I had the same confusion for a minute... only I was actually a private investigator for about a year and was coming in here to warn the OP against doing that crappy job.

LOL I had the same confusion at first ... I am and have been a Private Investigator for quite some time. Of course like an profession it has its ups and downs, but it is TIME for a change and that change is to be a P.A.

• 6 years later...

Yes they can.  I am a PI on a phase 1 research study currently.  Guidelines and Regulations say the PI must be qualified by training and education (I have my MPAS & have been in research for 8 years).  It also says if the PI is not a MD/DO then there needs to be a study physician designated. 

I know this response is late, but I've been looking for an answer the past 8 years so I thought maybe someone else might stumble upon this and find it helpful.

On 4/22/2009 at 8:51 PM, EMEDPA said:

I think lyle larsen at U.WA has been PI a few times but he does have a phd in cardiac electrophysiology in addition to the pa-c

LYLE is still out there chugging away!?  I worked with him in a N. Dallas 'burb ~85 or so when he was hired on in the radiology dept. at a small community hospital there, that coincidentally is a level one trauma center now (go figure).  It does not surprise me in the least that he has a PhD.  Very smart individual.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

4 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

LYLE is still out there chugging away!?  I worked with him in a N. Dallas 'burb ~85 or so when he was hired on in the radiology dept. at a small community hospital there, that coincidentally is a level one trauma center now (go figure).  It does not surprise me in the least that he has a PhD.  Very smart individual.

he has been President of WAPA several times. 

• 1 year later...