Why does the VA pay so poorly?

What you're looking at is a salary range within the applicable general schedule.  Actual hiring wages may not be reflected in this range.  But yes, the VA does tend to fall behind average pays, though a cursory google search of the state has revealed salary ranges from the upper 60s so the VA does not seem to be too far out of line there.

That's not a VA job, that is a BUMED job.  But same things apply....it's can be a nice cushy guv'ment job where it's next to impossible to get fired for incompetence or moving at a snails pace.  

I'm certainly not saying everyone who works these jobs are incompetent or slow because they often attract top-notch people with a fierce desire to serve their fellow warriors (at the expense of lower pay), but these jobs are places where such people can "hide" without any personal repercussions.  

IM/acute care job that I left earlier this year was at six figures and after I left they bumped the salary to the newest hire (after me) to around $115K.  For this neck of the woods that is pretty good, but then you have to deal with being at the bottom of the totem pole in that position where all other specialties can dump on you in that clinic.

my honest assessment

Federal things move at snails pace

private sector is just in the last 10 years seeing our value

federal just see's us and an "assistant" and someone that can sign a form

Look at NP's they are pushing for independence in the VA system and this will catapult them to a more reasonable stature, but unfortunatly that puts a less trained, less educated provider above us....  all for the "assistant" versus "practitioner" role......

The VA hospital near me is not hiring PA or NP at all. All the jobs they advertise are for physicians. And they are seriously lacking in physicians as in critically understaffed.

I had an inside contact and got the phone number for HR. I left six phone messages over a three-month period, emailed him three times with my resume attached and even spoke to the "recruiter" by leaving her yet another voicemail. Not a single return phone call or email.

my inside contact is a physician and she even stopped by to ask them. They had no answer and no recollection of hearing from me and make no plans to follow up on her inquiry. She found it very strange.

I find it discouraging and a bit perplexing that they won't even entertain jobs for the ferry profession that was created out of their Corpsmen. And they're not even professional enough to return a phone call or an email.

Coming out of a military family and having been raised by a bunch of military veterans, it discourages me that they might not be able to get the care they deserve and were promised.

it is discouraging when bureaucracy outweighs medical commonsense.

Being a retired VA PA I believe that the VA is a great place to be employed and always advised my students to consider it. I do believe the starting salary for a new graduate is low, but they always do take in account experience and higher degrees. The upside is that you do not have to beg for pay raises, you get a cost of living increase every year, Step increases in salary grade (every 1-3 years) depending on grade.

5 weeks vacation, earned sick leave that you can accumulate and funding for conferences, and the worse part of the position is that you get to work only 40 hours a week, no weekends and you are forced to take federal holidays off, even if you work a holiday you get double pay. You don't get that in the private sector.

Also the interns, residents and fellows change every 1-2 months, so ( Saying tongue in cheek) if you don't like the one your working with another new one is right around the corner.

GB

Archived