Future PA to DO bridges

NEITHER.....that should narrow it down for you a bit...:)

LOL I forgot there are other states in the "west coast" LOL I gotcha!!! I wonder what its like in Yakima? :D Will it be a TRUE bridge? The LECOM one just doesnt seem like a great deal....Not that I am interested. I'm holding out for the PA to DNP bridge online program!!! :D *ducks for cover*

i'm holding out for the pa to dnp bridge online program!!! :d *ducks for cover*

step 1 : Forget 2/3 of what you learned on clinical rotations( sice you spent too much time there)

step 2: Forget any basic medical science you learned in pa school

step 3: Write a paper on "disturbed energy fields as a common dx"

voila, pa to dnp bridge!

Re: Lecom- it does seem like a good idea to me. You get credit for your yr of clinical time yet learn 100% of the material for the boards, can match to any residency(not just primary care) and save 25% off medschool tuition. What's not to like?

Re: Lecom- it does seem like a good idea to me. You get credit for your yr of clinical time yet learn 100% of the material for the boards, can match to any residency(not just primary care) and save 25% off medschool tuition. What's not to like?

I guess I read that it doesnt really give PA's much of an advantage since they also offer a 3yr program for non-PA's...Perhaps I am mistaken... What you cited above does sound like a good idea. What portion does your clinical year count towards? MS3 or MS4? What do you know about the west coast prog? I guess what I'm saying (hypothetically since I am a Noob PA yet) is what advantage does a bridge program give a seasoned PA over applying to med schools via the traditional means?

I LOL'd at your response about the DNP bridge...I start ATSU MSPAS program in June and the clinical portion of the program is already MORE or at least on par with a typical DNP prog. I had a Nurse Case Mgr come in with a pt the other day and he says "Oh you're a PA? Cool...I was gonna go do a DNP program but just couldnt handle the clinical hours!" In amazement I ask how many hours are required and he exclaims "400 hours!!! Can you believe that" I actually laughed and told him how much a PA program requires and my online MSPAS program alone requires 400 hours....

I'm holding out for the PA to DNP bridge online program!!! :D *ducks for cover*

funny you say that as that is what I am looking for also - in the primary care world the DNP allows me to own my own company, bill directly and be my own boss - all things I am looking for.....

I guess I read that it doesnt really give PA's much of an advantage since they also offer a 3yr program for non-PA's...Perhaps I am mistaken... What you cited above does sound like a good idea. What portion does your clinical year count towards? MS3 or MS4? What do you know about the west coast prog? I guess what I'm saying (hypothetically since I am a Noob PA yet) is what advantage does a bridge program give a seasoned PA over applying to med schools via the traditional means?

all of the other 3 yr programs require you to do primary care. this does not.

you get credit for most of 3rd yr and some of 4th yr. you end up doing a hybrid yr with some rotations from each.

applying to this program you are only competing against other pa's and the mcat score is not emphasized, just that you took it and got at least a 22. also they are willing to waive some typical course requirements if you are strong in other areas. for example if you never took biochem but have an otherwise stellar app. no problem. they will teach you what you need to know along the way. ditto o-chem.

also did I mention that it costs 75% what a regular program costs.

if they drop the mcat requirement I will apply. I would have to teach myself o-chem and biochem and take a kaplan course to get a 22. kinda silly since they don't require ochem or biochem...

anyway, when I contacted them they said pnwu is "investigating the possibility of a pa to do bridge and should announce next yr".

a few yrs ago lecom accepted a pa with an mcat of 18 who graduated first in his class and rocked the boards and got choice of residency. goes to show that mcat is a worthless predictor for success in medschool.

all of the other 3 yr programs require you to do primary care. this does not.

you get credit for most of 3rd yr and some of 4th yr. you end up doing a hybrid yr with some rotations from each.

applying to this program you are only competing against other pa's and the mcat score is not emphasized, just that you took it and got at least a 22. also they are willing to waive some typical course requirements if you are strong in other areas. for example if you never took biochem but have an otherwise stellar app. no problem. they will teach you what you need to know along the way. ditto o-chem.

also did I mention that it costs 75% what a regular program costs.

if they drop the mcat requirement I will apply. I would have to teach myself o-chem and biochem and take a kaplan course to get a 22. kinda silly since they don't require ochem or biochem...

anyway, when I contacted them they said pnwu is "investigating the possibility of a pa to do bridge and should announce next yr".

a few yrs ago lecom accepted a pa with an mcat of 18 who graduated first in his class and rocked the boards and got choice of residency. goes to show that mcat is a worthless predictor for success in medschool.

3 years of med school really isn't much of a "bridge" still in my opinion. Having to retake essentially every class, at least 5-6 I have already taken with the med students at my program such as pharm, respiratory, renal, geriatrics, surgical skills, etc. (I realize my program is unique in this aspect). Many of the classes you will need to retake you are more than qualified to teach... ie physical diagnosis, etc. And on rotations, say in the ER, you might be paired with a preceptor who knows less than yourself with your experience. For having completed the majority of a medical school curriculum, and functioned as a practicing provider for several years, taking a year off of your clinical requiremens seems pretty insignificant and more of a slap in the face to me if that is all your previous schooling/experience is worth in their eyes.

3 yrs is the min allowed to be an accredited medical school program in the u.s.

this program is 3 yrs and 8 weeks.

in a perfect world it would be a 2 yr program with no mcats but that won't happen due to the above.

if I went to a traditional program all the downsides are still there(retaking classes, younger less experienced preceptors, etc). at least this saves 25% of the tuition, a yr of ones life, and gives credit for prior experience. not to mention the fact that they don't really care about your mcat score as long as it is a 22 and they will let a few prereq classes slide this is almost a dream come true...now if they would just drop the mcat requirement I'm there....

3 yrs is the min allowed to be an accredited medical school program in the u.s.

this program is 3 yrs and 8 weeks.

in a perfect world it would be a 2 yr program with no mcats but that won't happen due to the above.

if I went to a traditional program all the downsides are still there(retaking classes, younger less experienced preceptors, etc). at least this saves 25% of the tuition, a yr of ones life, and gives credit for prior experience. not to mention the fact that they don't really care about your mcat score as long as it is a 22 and they will let a few prereq classes slide this is almost a dream come true...now if they would just drop the mcat requirement I'm there....

It's better than nothing, but still requires one to repeat far to many classes, and the additional coursework isn't even clinically relevent. I feel like I'd be more frustrated for those couple years of courses because I'd be taking a giant step backward-- not using skills=losing skills, and learning irrelevent material or refreshing on material that I have already learned.

• Administrator
It's better than nothing, but still requires one to repeat far to many classes, and the additional coursework isn't even clinically relevent. I feel like I'd be more frustrated for those couple years of courses because I'd be taking a giant step backward-- not using skills=losing skills, and learning irrelevent material or refreshing on material that I have already learned.

So keep working while doing it. Maybe not full time, but keep working...

So keep working while doing it. Maybe not full time, but keep working...

Easier said than done as you are likely moving to a new location for the school, and will be dictating some pretty specific hours to a potential employer. It will also take away from study time, and grades will be very important as you will be competing for residency positions.

Easier said than done as you are likely moving to a new location for the school, and will be dictating some pretty specific hours to a potential employer. It will also take away from study time, and grades will be very important as you will be competing for residency positions.

To each their own, and best of luck in yours...but I am just a little confused by following your take on the thread...one breath tells the reader you feel rock solid in your knowledge/skill base and it is almost insulting that you have to sit through the class, then the next breath you tell the reader you can't work while in med school because you have to dedicate too much time to study hard to get good grades....

I dunno my elbow from my ankle but it sure seems you are conflicted about your stance. I have met only one PA who went back to med school, did the full meal deal, not a bridge. She had twins during her second year and worked part time. I have read of a couple of PAs on this sight that went back to med school and they all worked part time as well. My understanding of med school is that they don't do nearly the full day of classes like PA school does so that frees up quite a bit of evening hours if you are not having to bury your nose in a book, which, since you already know the information, should not be your case...

But anyways...just passing on the message that the casual reader is picking up from you. Good luck in your endeavors.

To each their own, and best of luck in yours...but I am just a little confused by following your take on the thread...one breath tells the reader you feel rock solid in your knowledge/skill base and it is almost insulting that you have to sit through the class, then the next breath you tell the reader you can't work while in med school because you have to dedicate too much time to study hard to get good grades....

I dunno my elbow from my ankle but it sure seems you are conflicted about your stance. I have met only one PA who went back to med school, did the full meal deal, not a bridge. She had twins during her second year and worked part time. I have read of a couple of PAs on this sight that went back to med school and they all worked part time as well. My understanding of med school is that they don't do nearly the full day of classes like PA school does so that frees up quite a bit of evening hours if you are not having to bury your nose in a book, which, since you already know the information, should not be your case...

But anyways...just passing on the message that the casual reader is picking up from you. Good luck in your endeavors.

My posts say that the majority of the CLINICAL info is stuff that PAs have covered, and some programs will even cover a good portion of this with the medical students. I then say that the information that is new, ie the basic sciences, really isn't as clinically relevent... There is definitely new information that will be presented but imo a practicing PA going to medical school so that they can learn about the metabolism of a specific protein or to memorize a detailed cascade in immunology isn't going to prepare them any better for treating patients than where they were when they started the process. Regardless of new or review, one will have to study the finer details that might present as a question because going back to medical school only to receive medicore grades will limit your ability to place in the residency/field of choice, etc. Just because you know the material well enough to function in a clinical setting doesn't mean you will know the nitty gritty that some professors love to test on...

Perhaps I didn't explain myself as clearly as I intented...

Here's an analogy. You are a semi-pro football player who wants to play in the pros. You already know most of the what it entails, but to get there you need to attend a camp that, instead of focusing on the tweaks that need to be made to make you pro ready, starts with learning how to run, how to lift weights, how to throw/catch a ball, the exact chemical composition of the football, the exact distances between goalposts, the decibles that accompany each field, etc... Seems like several steps backwards to end up a few steps ahead in the long run in my opinion.

My posts say that the majority of the CLINICAL info is stuff that PAs have covered, and some programs will even cover a good portion of this with the medical students. I then say that the information that is new, ie the basic sciences, really isn't as clinically relevent... There is definitely new information that will be presented but imo a practicing PA going to medical school so that they can learn about the metabolism of a specific protein or to memorize a detailed cascade in immunology isn't going to prepare them any better for treating patients than where they were when they started the process. Regardless of new or review, one will have to study the finer details that might present as a question because going back to medical school only to receive medicore grades will limit your ability to place in the residency/field of choice, etc. Just because you know the material well enough to function in a clinical setting doesn't mean you will know the nitty gritty that some professors love to test on...

Perhaps I didn't explain myself as clearly as I intented...

Here's an analogy. You are a semi-pro football player who wants to play in the pros. You already know most of the what it entails, but to get there you need to attend a camp that, instead of focusing on the tweaks that need to be made to make you pro ready, starts with learning how to run, how to lift weights, how to throw/catch a ball, the exact chemical composition of the football, the exact distances between goalposts, the decibles that accompany each field, etc... Seems like several steps backwards to end up a few steps ahead in the long run in my opinion.

I see your point...and it is truly all about what each person is willing to tolerate to achieve what they want in life. Personally, I see it as "their sand box, their rules" and I can live with that for the chance of tripling the salary of a PA. My own kids won't be off to college for another decade +2 (twins start kindergarten this fall)so things have time to shake out and further evolve before I think about med school seriously. I am not willing to make the familial sacrifice needed to do med school right now. Heck, I still have to get through PA school. Who knows where my head will be when I'm bumping close to the 50 year old mark.

I see your point...and it is truly all about what each person is willing to tolerate to achieve what they want in life. Personally, I see it as "their sand box, their rules" and I can live with that for the chance of tripling the salary of a PA. My own kids won't be off to college for another decade +2 (twins start kindergarten this fall)so things have time to shake out and further evolve before I think about med school seriously. I am not willing to make the familial sacrifice needed to do med school right now. Heck, I still have to get through PA school. Who knows where my head will be when I'm bumping close to the 50 year old mark.

True, I did forget to mention that this camp that the player is attending could cost them close to 1 million between loss of income, tuition and living expenses-- at 6.8-8% interest, along with 7+ years of your life. For some this may not be an issue, but that is a LOT to give up if you consider a novice right out of college without any medical experience will have to do the same track with only 1 year of added clnicals, whereas you have already functioned as a medical provider.

3 years of med school really isn't much of a "bridge" still in my opinion. Having to retake essentially every class, at least 5-6 I have already taken with the med students at my program such as pharm, respiratory, renal, geriatrics, surgical skills, etc. (I realize my program is unique in this aspect). Many of the classes you will need to retake you are more than qualified to teach... ie physical diagnosis, etc. And on rotations, say in the ER, you might be paired with a preceptor who knows less than yourself with your experience. For having completed the majority of a medical school curriculum, and functioned as a practicing provider for several years, taking a year off of your clinical requiremens seems pretty insignificant and more of a slap in the face to me if that is all your previous schooling/experience is worth in their eyes.

I am a former PA who has completed medical school. I had the same attitude as you when I started medical school. I thought that most of my MD program would be a review. But, I learned very quickly that the didactic portion of Med school goes into much much more depth than PA ever will. You don't see this now, but you will should you go through an MD/DO program. Med school was a humbling experience.

Archived