I am the Object of My Pimp's Affection

Guest Fond of Cabbage

You're close scott. The quarter is to measure the diameter of the vena cava, since the quarter is 2.5cm. It's to make sure the vessel is not too big for the filter.

Guest scott

It's good to get Pearls that you won't find very easily in a text book.

Now my attempt to keep the ball rolling: Lead aVR is often overlooked during 12 lead interpretation, but what is ST elevation in lead aVR indicitave of when also in the presence of less ST elevation in Lead I?

Guest scott

OK, just in case anyone cares...here is the answer.

Lead aVR ST-segment elevation with less ST segment elevation in lead V1 is an important predictor of acute left main coronary artery (LMCA) obstruction (1). LMCA occlusion is rare, but is life threatening and often requires bypass surgery rather than angioplasty. Careful evaluation for aVR elevation in patients with possible ischemia will alert the clinician to significant lesions.

References:

(1) Yamaji H, et al. Prediction of Acute Left Main Coronary Artery Obstruction by 12-Lead Eletrocardiography J Amer Coll Cardiol 2001; 38: 13458-54

(2) Gorgels APM, et al. Lead aVR, a Mostly Ignored But Very Valuable Lead in Clinical Electrocardiography J Amer Coll Cardiol 2001; 38: 1355-56

Guest Fond of Cabbage

I guess I'll post another one. It's a two parter:

1. Increased ICP is defined as what?

2. It may be secondary to a few things. The one I'm looking for has both cytotoxic and vasogenic types.

Guest Fond of Cabbage

Got the first part right.

I'll give you a hint for the second part, the cytotoxic type occurs with hyponatremia or ischemia while the vasogenic type is secondary to increased vessel permeability.

Guest Fond of Cabbage

Should I ask another one?

What are the characteristics of Sertoli-Leydig cell tumors, including si/sx, labs, etc?

What are the characteristics of Sertoli-Leydig cell tumors, including si/sx, labs, etc?

If I remember correctly from path last quarter...I think one of the s/sx of both is gynecomastia and precocious puberty in prepubescent boys w/leydig cell tumors. I also remember that both of these are most likely benign.

Unfortunately that's all I can remember right now...

Guest Fond of Cabbage

Boys with leydig tumors often present with precocious puberty (i.e., genital enlargement, axillary and/or pubic hair growth) and yes, only about 10% of leydig tumors are malignant, this going with the fact that leydig tumors comprise about 3% of testicular neoplasms AND the fact that the malignant variant happens only in adults.

The leydig tumor actually occurs most commonly in men 30-60 yrs, where they may present with gynecomastia, erectile dysfuntion, and/or decreased libido along with a palpable intratesticular mass.

HOWEVER, a leydig cell tumor can also present in the ovarian stroma of women, usually 20-40 yrs old, and these tumors are usually malignant. These women usually present with a rapid onset of hirsutism, acne, amenorrhea, virilization, decreased LH/FSH and marked increased testosterone.

The treatment for these tumors in both boys and girls would be to take out the affected testicle or ovary (usually these are unilateral...3% of cases are bilateral). In males, if malignancy is observed, it has been suggested that a retroperitoneal lymph node dissection can be curative in limited metastasis. 10-year survival rate runs around 90-95%.

Guest Fond of Cabbage

I figured I'd post that before my comcast turns off and I have to retype it again. That happens a ridiculous amount of times.

Anyway, as far as Sertoli cell tumors, men present with SCO syndrome (sertoli cell only syndrome) with azoospermia. The seminiferous tubules are lined with only sertoli cells (hence, sertoli cell only syndrome), and there is a lack of sperm in the ejaculate (azoospermia). This most commonly happens in men 20-40 yrs, usually idiopathically.

SCO syndrome isn't too common, where only 30% of infertile couples have a pure male problem and less than 5-10% of these men have SCO. Men that undergo an infertility eval usually have a hormone study with FSH and testosterone. In spermatogenic failure, the FSH levels are usually 2-3 times higher than the reference range.

Sertoli cell tumors tend to stick to the testes, but are also associated with other disorders, such as leydig cell neoplasia and klinefelter syndrome.

As far as Tx and Px goes, the only Tx would involve TESE for couples considering IVF/ICSI. The condition is stable and requires no Tx as far as curative methods go, since there is none, and in fact chemotherapy and radiation should be avoided.

Hey, this will be my 100th useless post. Hurrah.

nah... it's a slow time of year for the student threads. we are either -

a. getting ready for first year, which starts in the fall

b. getting ready for clinicals, which starts in the fall, and fighting burnout

c. getting ready for graduation & PANCE

By October things should pick up a bit. Your enthusiasm is great though - keep it, please!!

• 4 weeks later...