tail coverage if physicians purchase for themselves?

Yet another malpractice coverage question, but I haven't seen this one anywhere else on the forum.  Kindly redirect me if I've missed it.

I'm starting a new job and looking into doing the smart thing this time and getting my own policy.  They would not offer tail coverage if/when I move on.  No surprises there.  For whatever reason they have started on my application with their group anyways and provided me the application to finish filling out.  The statement below may have me reconsidering...

"COPIC does not provide “tail” coverage to allied health professionals. As long as your employer or contracting physician purchases “tail” coverage at the time of termination of their coverage with COPIC, you will be provided coverage in the future for unknown claims that may have occurred during the period of time you provided such medical services. If your employer or contracting physician does not purchase “tail” coverage at the termination of their coverage with COPIC, you will not be provided coverage for any unknown future claims. You may wish to request from your employer or contracting physician a written confirmation that “tail” coverage will be purchased at the time of termination of their coverage with COPIC."

I can't help but be skeptical based on what I've read and heard before about PA coverage.  It's a surgical position and having my own policy would be MUCH more expensive.  How much of that they would cover is a whole other can of worms.  Any input much appreciated!!!!!!

This is very true

Easiest way to handle it is a clause in your contract that they are responsible for providing med mal for all claims.  Even if they let their coverage lapse, you could sue them if you got sued.  

The funny thing, when I opened my own practice, the savings of claims made versus occurrence pretty much disappeared after a few years... so i just went with occurrence...

Archived