Question to PA's : do you envy doctors?

please forgive my rant: andersen, do you find that docs do advocate for appropriate PA compensation, regular COL raises, etc? my experience is I've had to advocate for myself, fighting for a good salary and benefits every step of the way. I hate the fact that my doc resents me for the agreement we negotiated together! I have been told by his wife that my ongoing expectation that they honor the contract we made has created "ill will", that "contracts are made to be broken", and that I shouldn't be harping on them honoring the terms of my contract because "the NP isn't getting paid as much as" me(!), as if I did something wrong by successfully negotiating a reasonable salary for myself! I have always been offered an unacceptably low salary when interviewing, and told that "this is what PAs get". I have countered with my own research and gotten better pay, but then had to bear being considered a prima donna.

if you have physician advocacy, I think that's awesome. where are you located? I am in the boston area and it is demoralizing to have to fight for ground all the time, especially as I gain expertise and experience. I can run a clinic on my own and do all of the MD's work, yet I am treated as untrustworthy or as if I am trying to "pad my paycheck" when I ask that they honor our agreement. it's sickening.

again -- sorry for the rant.

It has been a job-specific issue. I am in WA now with a great group. I am from NY and there was little support there.

It sounds like you are in an unfortunate situation. I don't know all of it but if someone told me "contracts are made to be broken" I'd leave. Jobs require mutual respect for all parties to be satisfied. Sounds like they don't appreciate or respect your contribution.

At my last job the docs went to bat for the pa's when we asked for raises. my chief actually went to the hospital director and said " if emedpa and his group leave I'm going to replace them all with er docs at twice the salary...." instant 20% raise....

at my current job the pa salary is tied to the docs salary so when they get a raise, we get a raise.

At my last job the docs went to bat for the pa's when we asked for raises. my chief actually went to the hospital director and said " if emedpa and his group leave I'm going to replace them all with er docs at twice the salary...." instant 20% raise....

at my current job the pa salary is tied to the docs salary so when they get a raise, we get a raise.

where is my slow cap gif. Its almost like the Tv industry there. all actors on show fight to get the same money. It just shows you what power there is in working together. At the end of the day MD/PA relationships have a huge effect on the work environment. As we saw earlier in this thread when there is a disconnect everyone suffers. When there is a mutual understanding you get magic (as shown in that 20% raise)

brookspa,

How many hours do you work as an ER PA? And where do you practice? I am applying to PA programs this summer, so of course my perspective is limited, but I use to volunteer in the ER and it seemed as if PAs had a lot of autonomy and enjoyed their work.

And yes, nursing is a difficult position to be in, I want to be a surgical PA, which I don't think there is any other position out there as good as PA right now..

kit

agree with andersen

where are you btw?

are you looking to move to nc?

if so, i may be able to help with some leads

you guys are so sweet...thank you. I don't think NC will be an option unless hubby gets a position at chapel hill (his is the least portable of our jobs) -- but I certainly appreciate the caring concern, rc

:smile:

Archived